Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with nerves

Options
  • 27-07-2009 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I did a short drama course earlier this year and am about to start a longer one. I had loads of fun on the course during improv/group exercises. My problem is that I can't get over my nerves when I have to do anything by myself. I went for an audition for an ad last week and I was shaking so badly I could barely talk. I've had various similar experiences. Any advice on how to get over this? I've no problem practising monologues at home but as soon as I stand up in front of others, I freak out. I'm thinking of going to a hypnotist to get over it. Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

GwenR wrote: »
    I did a short drama course earlier this year and am about to start a longer one. I had loads of fun on the course during improv/group exercises. My problem is that I can't get over my nerves when I have to do anything by myself. I went for an audition for an ad last week and I was shaking so badly I could barely talk. I've had various similar experiences. Any advice on how to get over this? I've no problem practising monologues at home but as soon as I stand up in front of others, I freak out. I'm thinking of going to a hypnotist to get over it. Help!

Hi there. It all comes down to practise! There is no magic trick or secret to it. Are you involved in a drama group in between auditions? Being actively involved will help keep the practise up etc.

The folks over at "No Drama" (Boards Drama Group) run a weekly workshop (but are on summer break until August 18th) and involve improv every week. Many of the members have often stated that the workshops have done wonders for their nerves and confidence. Might be worth popping along or talking to one of their members.

Link to the forum below:

http://nodrama.boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GwenR

Thanks for your reply. I'd actually seen your group a few days ago and was hoping to join. Thanks for giving me more info!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

no probs, PM me if you would like any further detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Think of adanince in the Nip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Some actors find meditation helps.

The other piece of advice is this - when auditioning people want you to be brilliant. They want you to be good. If you make a mistake they won't point and laugh, they will you to recover. Keep in mind that you could be the answer to their problem, not the other way around.

If you are confident - Then they will have confidence in you.

All else fails think hos silly they would look naked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I am involved in a lot of improv projects, but nepotism aside, I think improv is a great way to loosen out the nerve gremlins. Half the nerves often come from fear of the unexpected/failing. Improv helps you to see all that kind of stuff as almost a gift..something to be creative with. Therefore you are prepared for anything and it is very freeing!

I'd agree with faceman - go flex the muscles at a workshop or with a weekly group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GwenR

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

A little bit of nerves is usefull for an actor. It tends to keep them more alert and adds to their proformance.
    If you don't feel a little tence before going on stage, you are likely to become a little bit "cockey", and thats when you tend to make mistakes.
    However, its controling the nerves, and not letting them get the better of you thats the problem.
    I would suggest some simple breathing exercises. Breathing in for the count of five and out again for a few times before you are going on.
    And of course, Faceman is right. Never a bad idea to join No Drama......

• Registered Users Posts: 14 guthlaf

Some useful tips:

* Breathing exercises before going on are good to relax and let you focus on the task ahead.

* Whenever you're doing a piece, try always to figure out before hand on what actions are included in the piece, actions are a great way of keeping your focus. If you know your piece well, then you can concentrate on your actions and if you keep doing them, whenever you have pauses, silences, or even getting stuck with the text, there's always something ELSE you're doing and it helps you keeping going. Actions are also interesting to watch. Avoid being static just saying your piece.

* A little trick that sometimes is useful to avoid nerves is to imagine the audience as something else than an audience. What to imagine depends on the piece and the type of emotions and status of the character who is saying the piece. Whatever the audience becomes in your head has to make sense with the situation at hand. You could imagine them as your subjects if your character is a king, or as your employees if your character is a bussineman/woman, or as your children if your character is a father/mother, etc. It all depends on what the piece is like. Some options sometimes are funnier. If your character is kind of predatorial, you could imagine them as an audience of sheep and you try to picture your character as a wolf about to eat them. Or if its a cynical piece you can imagine them all wearing red noses to take out the 'seriousness' of being in front of a group. I like this little trick, cause it tends to work. Its all about involving the audience in some way. Audiences like that.

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

Marcus

paulus837, Ive deleted your 2 posts because they are unhelpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr.NickRiviera

I think I might have a few helpful tips for nerves. Having been through many stressful encounters in my training, I sympathize completely with your fears and concerns.
    Ill try not to repeat what was mentioned previously but I think the first step to conquering your fear is understanding it. So in your case:
    1. Is it a worry you might forget your lines?
    2. Is it how others in the audience perceive you?
    Or something else more personal that is unique to you.
    Once you understand why you feel the way you feel in certain pressure situations you then aim to figure out coping mechanisms which can help you overcome the seemingly overwhelming fears. Some of the above are great examples of coping mechanisms. Breathing, preparation, meditation all work for more people than you would think. Try them and see if they work for you.
    Remember:
    ''No one knows you and your body better than you''
    Experiment and try out new things, see what works for you and develop it to the extent you are comfortable in any given situation.

The key word here would be Habituation. It may sound barbaric but the only way to overcome your absolutely normal physiological reaction is to put yourself in that situation...again and again and again...

Hope it helps and best of luck ;)

Advertisement