Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheese sandwiches in restaurants

Options
  • 27-07-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

We sometimes have lunch at a cafe with the kids, and sometimes my kids order cheese sandwiches. When I was a kid a cheese sambo had slices of cheese. The last few times I was in a restaurant ordering a cheese sambo, the cheese was grated. I have asked for cheese SLICES, and they dont have any cheese slices. How can a restaurant not have cheese slices? What is this obsession with grated cheese, is it becuase its cheaper? - I think its horrible myself, and because its loose, the kids always lose some of the grated cheese...
    anybody else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

They probably buy the cheese in pre-grated,which is vile in my opinion. My work canteen does anyway and it's only red cheddar they get :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Buying grated cheese saves them a lot of time. Any good restaurant should have blocks of cheese though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I also hate the pre-packed grated cheese , no flavour at all except when cooked.

It's interesting , we just came back from a holiday in the South of England . We got a number of ham sandwiches ( my little one likes plain ham or cheese , and she was on a ham kick ) .
    You know what , everyone without fail was REAL ham , not the plastic pre-packaged ham you get here . I was amazed , I had forgotten what real ham tastes like .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a little cafe in Inistioge called 'Circle of Friends' that does toasted ham and cheese sandwiches using real cut ham and big slabs of cheese.

It is really is a pleasant surprise to get something that is not see through plasticised ham and grated 'fall down your front' cheese. They use proper bread too.

Advertisement