Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting firearms.

Options
  • 27-07-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

Had a search, couldn't find anything.

Whats the protocol for transporting a firearm?

I have a shotgun at home in Galway, but I spend most of my time in Carlow.
    If there were a clay-pigeon shoot on up here could I bring my shotgun from Galway.
    I need a secure place to store it right? Could I hand it into a Garda Station for overnight storage or something?

I remember hearing something like having to consult the Super in every region you pass through or some such.

Probably won't happen but I've been wondering about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

If you have a license, you are entitled to use it anywhere in the country. If you have a lockable case for your shotgun and somewhere safe to store it (not in your car) overnight, that's good enough. One thing you should do when travelling with a firearm is to carry a vital part seperately. In the case of a rifle, the bolt or a pistol, the upper etc.

Shotguns may or may not have a removable part that can be stored seperately, but if yours does, then you can seperate that and keep it somewhere on your person when travelling in case you have to stop and leave the car for even a short period of time.

i know some people when staying in hotels have a chain that they can lock their firearm case to a fixed point in their room like a radiator or a fixed piece of furniture or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Great, thanks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You can remove the forend which leaves the shotgun practically useless. There's no problem bringing it anywhere in the state - just have your paperwork with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

When living and working in the Uk, a friend I shot with had a dinger of a set up in the car for securing firearms. Basically a piece of sleeved steel wire rope approx 5-8mm that he used to pass through a lockable aluminium case which he had gun and ammo in. Maybe a bit OTT:)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I use a siimilar set-up. Peli Case for the rifle with padlocks. Steel Cable through the lugs in the boot with the ends also onto the padlocks.

Naturally, the cable could always be cut with the right tools but there is no way to just smash and grab and of course the alram would be going off etc. I don't leave the car when I'm on the way to the range but it's a good precaution for when I need to stop for petrol or somthing (or in the case of an accident !).

• Advertisement
Advertisement