Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC issued Wind up Order

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If I was a CCFC supporter, I wouldn't give this man a single red cent of my money.

Instead, I'd give some money to FORAS to enable them to set up a new club, which would be run properly.

It means the fans can keep a real tangible hold on their football. The club will be relegated anyway, so why not allow CCFC to die, and then set up another club, free from the baggage, and free from Coughlan.

Step up to the mark Cork people, your city deserves a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Any idea whether Foras are going to throw their lot in with the existing club, or do they intend on starting a fresh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

We have until Friday says the judge.

1 Last chance...

Hope it all goes well for ye.Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I am a supporter of CCFC first and foremost.

So that is the priority, not some fans united team from the ashes.

Any idea whether Foras are going to throw their lot in with the existing club, or do they intend on starting a fresh?

I joined Foras in the belief that I was going to be a guardian of the CCFC, not a new fresh starting club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭radiospan

I am a supporter of CCFC first and foremost.

So that is the priority, not some fans united team from the ashes.

Completely agree, but realistically it seems likely that the reported ~€75K FORAS have would disappear down a hole if invested in CCFC now. I don't see that much money keeping the Revenue / the courts happy (definately not long-term)

It seems like the only two options for that money are for it to go to the Revenue Commissioners or, to start a new fan-run Cork soccer club, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This club should never have been issued a license at the start of the season. And probably shouldn't have been given a five day stay either. Until some club is forced to properly fall on the sword of financial recklessness, clubs will continue putting themselves into this type of situation again and again, figuring that they'll be able to survive in some form of another; after giving themselves a shot at big short term on field success.

It has to stop.

I joined Foras in the belief that I was going to be a guardian of the CCFC, not a new fresh starting club.

So, you want your money to go to Coughlan/The Revenue?

Are you an idiot?

I don't think you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Unless someone is willing to throw €300,000 into a black hole, the club is finished.

The option now appears to be start with a new fan-based club, or do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

3000 fans give 100euro each equals 300,000euro and buy out the club as member/owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Coughlans been found out for the chancer that he is. No one will give money while he is involved.

I would'nt blame FORAS if they decided not to give it to him either even if it means the club dies. Giving that man money is like throwing it down the toilet.

I hope he does'nt have the cheek to show his face around Cork again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

A shock, even if it was always coming. Here's hoping that somehow City can pull something out of the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i feel sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Delaney will bail them out, he seems to like clubs outside of Dublin actually he likes them alot, wouldnt be suprised if Cork survived and Bohs were demoted at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

gimmick wrote: »
    This is not the end. Somthing will happen between now and then. Some White Knight with deep pockets.

So some White Knight appears

saves the club
    spends loads
    wins loads
    runs into bother
    goes bust
    club goes bust
    rinse
    repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

3000 fans give 100euro each equals 300,000euro and buy out the club as member/owners.

If 300K can be raised why spend it on paying off the liabilities of a reckless business.
    Let the club die, start a new one.
    300K could go a long way if it’s used correctly.

Try to think of it as a loved one on life support whatawaster.

Thats how it feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Try to think of it as a loved one on life support whatawaster.

Thats how it feels.

Well, snap out of it. Now is the time for logic rather than emotion.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Correct.

Why anyone who wants to put money into this shambolic club is beyond me.

It has been a slow death, but the plug must be pulled.

Start afresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bohemians will be the next to croak, I'm afraid.

Doubtful. We owe money to banks not the taxman, would make more sense for them to let interest build and hope we hit the jackpot. Liquidation wont get them anywhere near €4m, we may go but I doubt we'll be next

• Advertisement

I'm human.;)

300k is too small a sum for me not to have hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »
    It has been a slow death, but the plug must be pulled.

Start afresh.

While you are both essentially correct, we're still talking about the supporters of a club.

"Emotion" can't ever be discounted entirely.

Most of know what it's like to stare into the brink, support-wise.

Horrible situation though. The fans could stump up the cash, but with the current entity in place, it will only go into a black hole that will no doubt open up again and shore up a dodgy business model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

bohsman wrote: »
    Doubtful. We owe money to banks not the taxman, would make more sense for them to let interest build and hope we hit the jackpot. Liquidation wont get them anywhere near €4m, we may go but I doubt we'll be next

Don't you have an asset worth an 8 figure sum that creditors would get if the club was liquidated?

As any of the Rovers fans will tell you its only worth 8 figures if someones willing to pay for it, also we've already sold it twice, that needs to be sorted out aswell, afaik theres nobody desperately looking for money off us at the moment, my point really is that the likes of Galway are far more likely to be next to go.

Besides, if we have an asset far greater than our debt the banks are hardly likely to be worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If the club is to be no more, can the new club be called Cork City Football Club or would it have to be slightly different like Cork City Associated Football Club?

Regards to all Cork fans, but this could be for the best if you get a well run club out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This is terrible news. I hope Cork can sort something out by friday. I really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This is the beginning of the demise of Irish football.
    Horrible news for Cork City fans...very sorry to hear it.

Preparing myself to hear Galway United being next.

mars bar wrote: »

No it's not.

If clubs would run themselves on a finanially prudent basis, this wouldn't keep happening.

mars bar wrote: »
    Horrible news for Cork City fans...very sorry to hear it.

This isn't the beginning of the end for Irish football. Hopefully it will provide the wake up call needed to prevent this happening again.

Few people in the league seemed to learn anything from what happened with Shams and Shels bar their own fans but hopefully this will make people cop on and cut back the ridiculous spending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Do the euromillions Cork fans, If i win it i will buy yous :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This has to be it for Cork City in its current form, anything the club raised this week would only serve to lengthen the amount of time that it takes for the club to fold, there is no chance of the club actually surviving, unless Coughlan is booted out, and FORAS take over.

Either way, it'll hurt alot of people, but a new Cork team is the only way, best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I feel the heart was ripped out of CCFC last year in the lead up to Examinership, and even before that when Arkaga came in and took over. Once examinserhip started, it was all over. Sure we won the Setanta Cup, but any half decent LOI team should have beaten that very very poor Glentoran team (I believe Drogs did everything but score in the semi).

Then Coughlan came in. Everyone expected he would strip the club to its bare bones, much like what Drogheda did, and start afresh wth a mostly part time team. This would have been the clever option, but no, he decided to sack Mathews for no good reason (never a fan of mathews me) and hire probably the most expensive manager in the league. he then proceeded to sanction the signings of 11 players, 10 of which were full time. Thats not reckless, its fcuking stupidity in the highest.

We are now where we are due to this. It is very easy to blame previous regimes for selling to Arkaga in the first place, but they did look like a decent prospect. What i would like to know is why John Delaney recommended to the examinership company that Coughlan take the reigns of CCFC? Why was a transfer embargo only threatened? Why were we even given a license first day?

I hope we get to play Bray on Friday if only to say goodbye to the real players. It will be an emotional night one way or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Terrible news for all at Cork City. A great club with fantastic fans, playing in the best ground in the league.
    On a side issue. Did anyone notice on the footage from RTE 6.01 News, that they highlighted a set of fans at Turners Cross who were wearing red. They were St Pats fans, you GAA riddled broadcasters. Not all sports in Cork use red as their colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

FYI some interesting stuff here

http://bigredbench.blogspot.com/

Im working a 10 hour shift til 9 on friday so ill miss the Bray game if it goes ahead.:(

THopefully it will provide the wake up call needed to prevent this happening again.
    Just read the comments of the Bohs fans on here. Amounting to pretty much "We aren't fooked". Heads out of the sand lads, please.

Please.
    What i would like to know is why John Delaney recommended to the examinership company that Coughlan take the reigns of CCFC? Why was a transfer embargo only threatened? Why were we even given a license first day?
    Questions that need answering.

But that organisation likely won't even make a comment about this.

Why have the FAI not even acknowledged this development today.

That is un-fúcking-believable.

While the ignorant masses sit in their ignorance, waiting for Cyprus to come to town. :rolleyes:
    I hope we get to play Bray on Friday if only to say goodbye to the real players. It will be an emotional night one way or other.

I count a number of Cork City fans among my friends, not least gimmick. Lads, I feel for you, I really do. Those of you who are members of FORAS need to mobilise yourselves and ensure those in a position of power in that group don't do something extremely stupid in the next few days.

If that money goes to Coughlan, it's simply a black hole.

Cork City Football Club is gone. Start something better. You are excellent fans, and deserve a proper football team.

Start off in the MSL if you need to, but an A-League place shouldn't be beyond you. Be part time. Take a few years to re-build. I want to be back in Turner's Cross soon with you.

Questions that need answering.

But that organisation likely won't even make a comment about this.

Why have the FAI not even acknowledged this development today.

That is un-fúcking-believable.

While the ignorant masses sit in their ignorance, waiting for Cyprus to come to town. :rolleyes:

The FAI did release a statement but it pretty much seemed like they are washing their hands of the situation. Here it is:
    The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) notes the outcome of today's High Court proceedings involving Cork City Football Club.

Following a week which has seen so many positive developments on the pitch for the League of Ireland, the FAI is disappointed that Cork City has failed to meet its obligations to the Revenue Commissioners.

Despite numerous assurances from Cork City that matters with the Revenue Commissioners would be resolved, the FAI is disappointed and concerned that the club finds itself in this situation.

The FAI will meet with representatives of Cork City and will continue to monitor the situation ahead of Friday's deadline.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100181:fai-statement&catid=19:league-of-ireland&Itemid=316

Jesus Christ.

Jesus, the players sound in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How did it come to this.....:(
    Not having a team to support at the cross is unthinkable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I live a hundred yards from the X. The thought of an empty X on Friday nights is unbearable. The fact remains, we r FCUKED. No one will come up with that kind of money for a club in a recession. The days of CCFC are gone, hard as it might be to accept that. What the future holds, I don't know. Try not to forget the 40 odd people that found out today that they are probably on the dole after the bank holiday weekend. I'm gutted, fcuking gutted.

Just read the comments of the Bohs fans on here. Amounting to pretty much "We aren't fooked". Heads out of the sand lads, please.

Please.

Seriously? I havent seen any Bohs fans on here or on the Bohs forum for that matter that dont realise we're fooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Jl7Sw8FU8

Good video.

Another generation will be lost.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't believe people think FORAS should have been pumping more money down that black hole. Cork are pretty much in the same state that Rovers were five years ago and with the will and unity of the support base can come back just as strong as we did. What was in our favour and remains in Cork's favour is that we didn't own our grounds - therefore there is no huge asset to be liquidated. Indeed Cork are in a stronger position because the Munster FA own Turners Cross and will be keen to install a new team in there, Continuity Cork City if you will.

So it might take a couple of seasons in the First Division or even in the A League for the 'new' Cork City to get back to where they were, but I doubt that given time, we won't see a Cork football club back in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rules broken or not, penalties paid or not, I hope something good comes from all this.

points null and void now?

Trilla says "Bohs are fooked" btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bohs are ****ed and will in all liklihood be in the First Division next season. Think they're OK tax wise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

The one thing that all the players seem to be saying is that Coughlan had been reassuring the players that it would all be sorted. How he can play around with their livlihood's like he has been doing is disgraceful behaviour. Constantly messing around with the Revenue is asking for trouble and in the end it is the players who will have to look for a new club, move home etc and the genuine fans left without a club to support.

If the club does go under could would Coughlan face any sanction/penalty for overseeing the mess the club is in at the moment?

Here's a link to last night's MNS, which had Tom Coughlan on

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1052837

Fast forward to about 5.30, after the Derry City highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Here's a link to last night's MNS, which had Tom Coughlan on

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1052837

Fast forward to about 5.30, after the Derry City highlights.

He just doesn't seem to care at all. Blaming everything but himself.

He just doesn't seem to care at all. Blaming everything but himself.

Did you keep watching after the interview?

The PFAI Secretary, Stephen McGuinness, was on tearing strips off Caughlan for re-signing out of contract players.

Also, I've heard Rico in two interviews now, outright blaming Arkaga for the mess, but I think he needs to lay some of the blame at Caughlan's feet.

As Johnny Mac said, Caughlan obviously did no due dilligence before taking over the club, he was talking about debts he never knew about :eek:

What kind of imbecile takes over a football club without knowing what debts are there already?

• Advertisement
Advertisement