Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC issued Wind up Order

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well, Rico has a personal axe to grind with Arkaga so that is not surprising.

The amount of stupidity which has accumulated here is astounding. I am not going into it all again as I would only be repeating myself.

Red FM in Cork have arranged for people to collect money at traffic lights etc. Nice gesture, but will it work? €200k is a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just watched the studio bit there and they're 100% right. Why were Cork signing more players when they'd just gone through examinership and had to cut costs?

I'm not happy seeing any LOI club go out of business, but for Cork fans it's better to start fresh than continue to support a disaster of a club.

Coughlan live on the radio in a sec. 96fm.ie for any thats interested

This will be a lesson in question dodging, hand washing and blame game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Article:

THE darkest day for the League of Ireland?

Perhaps, but it's possible that out of the shadows, a chink of light may emerge from the sorry demise of Cork City.

Certainly, the impending loss of a flagship club is a devastating blow for those bidding to promote the league. On the week that the FAI bring Giovanni Trapattoni to Munster in a visit trumpeted as evidence of the game spreading outside Dublin, the reality is that a situation is imminent where the province will be without a senior top-flight football club. How depressing is that.

Yet, amid the doom and gloom, the feeling persists that if the league was to learn anything from its perpetual monetary crises, a big gun needed to fall.

Not be relegated, or deducted points, but properly punished for indiscretions.

Indifference

When Kilkenny City dropped out of the league due to a reported €50,000 debt, the shock value was minimal. Similarly, the withdrawal of Cobh Ramblers was greeted with a degree of indifference. And Dublin City? For all bar the committed few, the memory of that experiment has long since faded.

In the case of those casualties, the upper echelons of the game were able to privately dismiss the significance in terms of the bigger picture, citing the minimal stature of the clubs in question.

But the winding up of Cork City? That's a whole new ball game. We're talking about one of, if not the best, supported team in the league. This is the club who have delivered some of the finest League of Ireland moments of recent times.

Think of the league decider against Derry in 2005 in front of 10,000 people at Turner's Cross, the crucial role in the development of Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Roy O'Donovan and Dave Mooney, the European eliminations of Apollon Limassol, Nijmegen and Malmo.

On the face of it, they should have been the template. Until the emergence of Tallaght this year, Turner's Cross arguably provided the best match-day experience; when the crowds turned up, and the newly improved Shed End was packed, it was a terrific venue to visit by the league's modest standards. There was a fair sprinkling of local talent, guys like Colin Healy and Joe Gamble who were happy to return home and enjoy their football there.

It should have worked, but then they don't own the ground and couldn't afford the players. The finger pointing will continue but, suffice to say, any progress was superficial.

An illusion.

Structurally, the club was nowhere near the professional status it inherited by the employment of a full-time playing staff. This week's events are the culmination of long-term issues, regardless of whether an extra €100,000 could have avoided yesterday's nightmare scenario -- or work out an unlikely resolution by Friday if the Revenue were prepared to extend a lifeline in the event that cash is raised in that window.

In football terms, it's a tragedy. And for the loyal supporters -- like the young fan who sat at the back of Court Nine yesterday, clad in a Cork City jersey after taking a roundabout route home following Sunday night's league game in Derry -- it is a heartbreaking development. But in business terms, in terms of the bigger picture, it could be the wake-up call the league has needed.

Cork City Investments FC Limited may have been wound up, but League of Ireland football in Cork is not finished. The Munster FA own Turner's Cross, so it's not as if the venue is going to be sold off in a firesale. Like Cork teams in the past, and their neighbours down the road in Limerick, a club will reappear in some shape or form.

Their supporters group, FORAS, have been making attempts to organise themselves, looking at the example of the 400 Club which revitalised Shamrock Rovers. Mirroring the success of the Dubliners is a huge task, but while they retain a large catchment area there will always be hope. There have also been murmurs that a few businessmen have been waiting in the wings, but nobody on Leeside will be holding their breath on that score.

What this case has proven is that the Revenue Commissioners mean business when it comes to the League of Ireland, aggrieved by instances in years gone by when clubs escaped serious sanctions for defaulting on tax commitments. Now, globally, we are operating in a far more unsympathetic environment and the Cork City debacle is the clearest example of that.

The financial troubles of other leading clubs have been well documented and, while the root of their struggles stems from something other than tax compliance, Cork's fate must resonate.

In some respects, Leeside soccer fans have the luxury of knowing that in their location, another entity will emerge.

But in the overcrowded Dublin market or in the surrounding areas, there is no such safety net.

Dress it up however you wish, but the financial ills of the League of Ireland have stemmed from a simple case of spending money which clubs couldn't afford. If crowds fall below projections, it shouldn't be enough to place a company with a seven figure turnover into crisis. Businesses dealing in that kind of money, with a number of employees on contracts in excess of €100,000 per year, cannot live so precariously.

Not when the vast majority of those employees are footballers as opposed to professional staff tasked with attracting other revenue streams and building something with long-term sustainability.

The story of Irish football in the last decade has been trying to do too much, too quickly. To say the professional game in this country is unsustainable is a premature judgement; the project thus far has been a case of trying to build a solid structure without laying any foundations.

Little vignettes, like the positive energy derived from Shamrock Rovers' joust with Real Madrid, and the interest generated around last weekend's Dublin derby between the Hoops and Bohemians, are a tantalising taster of what could be possible. Success, though, is about more than one good week a year.

The capitulation of Cork City should drum that lesson home. Only then will this cloud have a silver lining.

- Daniel McDonnell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

gimmick wrote: »
    Coughlan live on the radio in a sec. 96fm.ie for any thats interested

This will be a lesson in question dodging, hand washing and blame game.

Just listened to him there spewing his bull****. He blamed everyone from the Revenue to summer soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just reading this from Con Murphy and there's one line that really sticks out...."Damien told me about one player who was going to Cork not too long ago, to negotiate a contract. This player was moving from a situation where he was earning €650 a week at his then club, and was hoping to up his wages to €850 a week. In fact before any negotiations began, he was offered €1350 a week. That's an extra €2,000 a month, an extra €24,000 a year, and that's a lot of posteriors on seats over the course of a season."

Did he really blame summer soccer?

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Des wrote: »
    Here's a link to last night's MNS, which had Tom Coughlan on

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1052837
    Why is he emphasising the fact that City have the highest wage bill in the league? Surely that's up to him to control?

The guy comes across as a complete cowboy.

Did he really blame summer soccer?

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Yup. He was giving out about 3000 thousand attending the Ipswich match and started blaming summer soccer for poor attendances.

He also said you have to spend money to win the league.:rolleyes:

Prendeville (the radio show host) asked him if he'd be willing to step aside if someone else comes in and he said he would although its the first time i heard him say he would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭radiospan

djpbarry wrote: »

Definately. Doesn't seem to give a ****.

The draw for the Setanta Cup was just made, City are in it: http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2261/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1.asx

Talking about Cork wind up order now.

Jaysus did you hear that gob****e saying the supporters should get off their arses and do what needs to be done to save the club?!!!

They only did that last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jaysus did you hear that gob****e saying the supporters should get off their arses and do what needs to be done to save the club?!!!

They weren't allowed to do it properly.

Delaney stuck Caughlan in, and now he's hung him out to dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I laughed at that.

Wish that guy would stop saying eircom league too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

djpbarry wrote: »
    Why is he emphasising the fact that City have the highest wage bill in the league? Surely that's up to him to control?

signing a load of lads at the start of the season cant of helped!

EVEN the players union official was saying it was a joke that they signed players at the start of the season

They have been doomed since they signed the lads from drogs because it proved that nothing was going to be done to solve the problems just head in the sand and hope as per usual!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Bohemians will be the next to croak, I'm afraid.

I really hope not.

Cork guys - it's terrible to see an Irish club go down. What is that phrase from GAA ads - "Rivals for 90 minutes - family for life" (or something like that).

Sad day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sad day, but there will come a time ,probably 3 years away ,when a top flight cork soccer team will be playing their home matches down the Cross. City will rise again, we are not the Rebels for nothing! Cork County Football Club, or Rebel Army F. C. either will do!

Today's Examiner says that City are trying to get Friday night's game against Bray moved to Thursday.

• Advertisement

plazzTT wrote: »
    Today's Examiner says that City are trying to get Friday night's game against Bray moved to Thursday.

That's a good idea.

Bray have refused I think. Cannot say I blame them.

Short notice, plus they are a part time side so the players would ahve arranged time off already, then there is the possibility that CCFC are wound up Friday morning, eaning they have wasted their money on travel expenses as the result will be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just read Malone's article in the IT.

I love TC's claims that you "have to" spend to compete in the league.

Looking very bad if the revenue are insisting on all the money now. They're going to make an example of TC basically.

Are players also due wages?

How will the club pay them, plus the tax on top of them?

Ive seen figures mentioned of 120,000 for this months wages.

That's ~40k a week.

How many players are on the books?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

If game played friday and club defo gone
    gate money should be handed to the players/staff, what revenue going to do about it?

That's ~40k a week.

How many players are on the books?

I think its for all the 40 staff including players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

It's no surprise when you read the above stories. Also, €1000 goal scoring bonus:eek::eek::eek:
    Would you square the ball to your team mate for an open goal when you're on a grand a goal?

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/news.asp?n=36837

plazzTT wrote: »
    That's a good idea.

No it's not.

What happens if one of the Cork or Bray players picks up an injury in a meaningless match?

The Cork players especially will be looking to stay fit so other clubs will take them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

It happens and it is just one of those things.

• Advertisement

I think its for all the 40 staff including players.

So, people who work for Cork City, earn on average 52k a year?

What?

Is it any wonder ye are fooked?

Christ almighty.

The Independent (I think) this morning says that one ex-City player is still owed €40,000 in wages. Can't believe that, wouldn't that be something like a years pay?

angel01 wrote: »
    It happens and it is just one of those things.

Good contribution :rolleyes:

The Independent (I think) this morning says that one ex-City player is still owed €40,000 in wages. Can't believe that, wouldn't that be something like a years pay?

My guess is that is Gareth Farelly, and I would imagine that would have only been a half seasons wages for him, as he was signed during the height of Arkagas money throwing.

Quint wrote: »
    It's no surprise when you read the above stories. Also, €1000 goal scoring bonus:eek::eek::eek:
    Would you square the ball to your team mate for an open goal when you're on a grand a goal?

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/news.asp?n=36837

I think that was under Arkaga. It was ridiculous. I'm not sure if Coughlan got rid of that bonus or not.
    So, people who work for Cork City, earn on average 52k a year?

What?

Is it any wonder ye are fooked?

Christ almighty.

I did'nt know the figures were so high either. It really is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

All City players are now free agents:
    RTE.ie wrote:
    Every member of the Cork City playing staff is a free agent, according to PFAI General Secretary Stephen McGuinness.

McGuinness held a meeting with City owner Tom Coughlan today, to discuss the short-term future of the financial troubled club, during which Coughlan confirmed that all players are now free to leave the club.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0729/corkcity.html

Can't see too many of them sticking around in Ireland considering not too many clubs are in a position to add to their playing staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

From fans meeting in the Telecom club tonight:
    Confirmed offer put in to purchase the club ,take over all debt -refused
    Foras offer to take over the Club - refused

How is this man still running our club?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Once again the fans are fooked in the arse because of idiots running a football club. I hope CCFC can get out of this mess for them and no one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

CianDon wrote: »

Logically that would mean Tom will come up with the cash on Friday.

Logically......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

CianDon wrote: »

He turned down an offer from Danny Drew in fairness.

• Advertisement

Thats the one TC has refused to deal with. Apparently he wanst a €120k pay off.

This is sickening. There are rescue packages available but this tool is too headstrong to do anything about it.

When are the FAI going to comment?

What punishment are CCFC going to get, if they survive?

The FAI have commented, they have washed their hands of the whole thing.

Re punishment? Fúck knows. Probably nada given the FAIs track record with us.

Its probably a moot point anyway

Cork City have found their Louis Kilcoyne. Unbelievable that even now that he is hanging onto Cork in the hope of a pay-off.

Coughlan is selfish beyond belief. He'll probably let the club die if he someone won't give him money for it.

I think the FAI have been poor in this situation. I don't expect money or anything like that but they should be showing more leadership. They are running the league after all. Their reaction does'nt bode well for any future crisis in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Coughlan is selfish beyond belief. He'll probably let the club die if he someone won't give him money for it.

I think the FAI have been poor in this situation. I don't expect money or anything like that but they should be showing more leadership. They are running the league after all. Their reaction does'nt bode well for any future crisis in the league.

FAI can't do a thing though.

Don't know what leadership you want, or what leadership will do about this current situation with Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Just lodged €50 to Foras' account. thats all this minimum wage soldier can afford, good luck to Foras they are the future for football in Cork and i wish them well.

Just lodged €50 to Foras' account. thats all this minimum wage soldier can afford, good luck to Foras they are the future for football in Cork and i wish them well.

Might pay for the recent paint job done on Turner's Cross :D

FORAS is the only way forward for Cork. Every possible other option - Danny Drew and the rest - are only interested in what they can take out of the club, not what they can put in.

• Advertisement

Advertisement