Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a good TV show please..

• 27-07-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

I'm nearly finished watching the Australian crime drama Underbelly. It's a fantastic show. I'm a big fan of The Sopranos, The Wire, Oz, and Deadwood. Brotherhood wasn't bad either.

Any recommendations welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

The Shield??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wallander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

I've been getting stuck into Durham County at the moment and it's great stuff. Very gritty also.

Try Dexter and Sons of Anarchy also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Try True Blood if you're a fan of HBO stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Cheers guys, some good stuff mentioned there. I can get my hands on The Sheild from a buddy, so I'm going to start with that. I've never heard of Wallander, Durham County, or Sons of Anarchy, so I checked them out on IMDB and they look interesting indeed. I must try and get hold of them. I've heard a few good things about Dexter too. I must have a read through the True Blood thread and see what I think.

I saw Engrenages mentioned while looking up Wallander. It looks quite interesting.

PS. I forgot to mention Mad Men in my opening post (just before someone recommends it). I love that show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

The CSIs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Lie To Me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Sons of Anarchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Breaking Bad. Not seen an bad episode yet.

Fantastic show.

Lie to me at a close second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The Shield and True Blood.

• Advertisement

^^Cheers guys. Some are getting mentioned again so it can only mean good things. Lie to Me and Breaking Bad also look interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd rate breaking bad as one of the top shows I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

burn notice.
    sports night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

+1 for Breaking Bad and True Blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 b.skytower

Breaking bad is a gem of a show. Its the dad from 'malcolm in the middle'.
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I really would back up Breaking Bad also I'd go as far to say it's my fav new show in the last couple of years.

I also would recommend Band of Brothers if you haven't seen it, I put off watching it for ages and to put it simply I was blown away with how good it was from cast to production values, Stunning television IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

100485180_0999912a-a0fd-4b56-896c-8737f7e386f5-ecibrian.jpg

Eddie Cibrian is apparently joining CSI Miami so if that isnt reason to watch it........mmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Considering the shows you listed originally, I think you'll like Breaking bad alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JanusGeminius

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Cheers guys, some good stuff mentioned there. I can get my hands on The Sheild from a buddy, so I'm going to start with that. I've never heard of Wallander, Durham County, or Sons of Anarchy, so I checked them out on IMDB and they look interesting indeed. I must try and get hold of them. I've heard a few good things about Dexter too. I must have a read through the True Blood thread and see what I think.

I saw Engrenages mentioned while looking up Wallander. It looks quite interesting.

PS. I forgot to mention Mad Men in my opening post (just before someone recommends it). I love that show.

Very good programme, It's got that kind of style where the characters actually seem to be involved in shades of grey rather than the antiseptic black and white of American police drama.

First series is on DVD, Second is going to be on BBC Four whenever they decide to air it. and I believe the Third is in production.

The Sweeney also has that kind of style and can be picked up reasonably cheap.

Breaking Bad is getting loads of mentions, so that's a definite for me. I'm looking forward to it big time..
    ziedth wrote: »
    I also would recommend Band of Brothers if you haven't seen it, I put off watching it for ages and to put it simply I was blown away with how good it was from cast to production values, Stunning television IMO.

I don't know how I forgot to mention Band of Brothers in my opening post. It's an amazing show. Surround sound a must too..
    Very good programme, It's got that kind of style where the characters actually seem to be involved in shades of grey rather than the antiseptic black and white of American police drama.

First series is on DVD, Second is going to be on BBC Four whenever they decide to air it. and I believe the Third is in production.

The Sweeney also has that kind of style and can be picked up reasonably cheap.

I'm definitely going to check out Engrenages now. It's nice to hear from someone who has seen it. Cheers for that Janus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fmf

Yeah, both Burn Notice & Breaking Bad are worth tracking down. Edie Falcos new one, Nurse Jackie, looks promising as well. You'll have to hunt around the streaming or torrent sites, very worthwhile. Another one is Homicide, the precursor to The Wire. Same vibe, just less gritty, though not much, since it was on network tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you're interested in politics then check out the West Wing. Kinda corny at times, but for the most part just brilliant, snappy dialogue, and excellent storylines. It was created by Aaron Sorkin, the guy who wrote A Few Good Men. Check it out.

Ollie is Oz any good? Just got the first 2 seasons off a mate, about to get stuck into them :) Looking for something to fill the void left after finishing the Wire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Quilly

Ollie , Breaking Bad deff a brilliant show. i'd also recommend "Generation Kill" another HBO show. And on the lite hearted side i'd give "Chuck" a mention, not very big over here yet, but it's highly entertaining and funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

lala stone wrote: »
    The Shield??

big +1, fantastic show

fmf wrote: »
    Yeah, both Burn Notice & Breaking Bad are worth tracking down. Edie Falcos new one, Nurse Jackie, looks promising as well. You'll have to hunt around the streaming or torrent sites, very worthwhile. Another one is Homicide, the precursor to The Wire. Same vibe, just less gritty, though not much, since it was on network tv.

I must definitely check out Homicide. I heard good things about it.
    Dave! wrote: »
    If you're interested in politics then check out the West Wing. Kinda corny at times, but for the most part just brilliant, snappy dialogue, and excellent storylines. It was created by Aaron Sorkin, the guy who wrote A Few Good Men. Check it out.

Ollie is Oz any good? Just got the first 2 seasons off a mate, about to get stuck into them :) Looking for something to fill the void left after finishing the Wire!

I loved Oz. I got completely addicted to it, watching about 5 to 6 episodes on a good night. The whole series in set in a prison and can be quite brutal at times. I'd put in the top five best tv shows ever.
    Quilly wrote: »
    Ollie , Breaking Bad deff a brilliant show. i'd also recommend "Generation Kill" another HBO show. And on the lite hearted side i'd give "Chuck" a mention, not very big over here yet, but it's highly entertaining and funny

Is Generation Kill made by the guys as The Wire? It's supposed to be very good alright.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I must definitely check out Homicide. I heard good things about it.

I loved Oz. I got completely addicted to it, watching about 5 to 6 episodes on a good night. The whole series in set in a prison and can be quite brutal at times. I'd put in the top five best tv shows ever.

Is Generation Kill made by the guys as The Wire? It's supposed to be very good alright.

it is indeed made by the guys that made the Wire. Great action sequences and alot of funny dialogue between the troops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭padimus

I´d go with most of what was mentioned above. Burn Notice and Chuck have been my two most recent discoveries and they are excellent.

Really want to see "Sons of Anarchy" as I´ve heard some good things about it.

Prepare for your girlfriend to like "Chuck" more than you though. It´s bizzare, women love it due to the "Will they Won´t they" plot running through it but it´s also funny enough to keep most mens attention too.

Also, I´d recommend "Veronica Mars", Easily one of the best plotted network TV shows to come out of the states in years. Someone once told me there were 13 storylines running simultaneously at one point! RTE did show it at weird hours but it´s easily available on amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

any good recent comedies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Eastbound & Down on HBO and stars Danny McBride

• Advertisement

i do like "How i met Your Mother" and "The Bing Bang Theory" but it depends on your comedy tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Some great shows i'd highly recommend
    1. Dexter all seasons (3)
    2. Band of Brothers if you haven't seen it, you need to
    3. True Blood
    4. 24 gets better and better after season 2
    5. Daybreak a very good once off series
    That should keep you going for a while! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah, got a good surprise :) After reading this thread, I was in the process of acquiring True Blood, and was disappointed that Breaking Bad was not at the same... source...

And my cousin just dropped down both shows today! :D

Jayzus gonna have to get through Oz pretty promptly now, and then on to Breaking Bad!

Quilly wrote: »
    i do like "How i met Your Mother" and "The Bing Bang Theory" but it depends on your comedy tastes

something funnier then those...

nurse jackie an abrupt rule breaking medical person taking drugs.... hmmm

i haven't watched that yet, but HBO picked it up for a second season so it cant be all that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

superneat wrote: »
    Some great shows i'd highly recommend
    1. Dexter all seasons (3)
    2. Band of Brothers if you haven't seen it, you need to
    3. True Blood
    4. 24 gets better and better after season 2
    5. Daybreak a very good once off series
    That should keep you going for a while! :cool:

24 gets dire in the middle, around season 4-6. Last season improved a bit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

MOH wrote: »
    24 gets dire in the middle, around season 4-6. Last season improved a bit though

Season 6 and season 7 were the best ya, but you'd have to watch them all! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Firefly.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Firefly.

Awsome show but we only got like 14 episodes, before they cancelled it. But u can always follow it up by watching Serenity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

Weeds

look around for sites that recommend tv in catgoires i found middleman

wacky comic book type school girl becomes secret agent with uptight agent/middleman partner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Entourage - very very funny at times and defo worth a watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Chuck and The US Office are very funny.

For Drama, I would say Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House and The Mentalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 thetruthpp

I would go for

Entourage - a must see IMO Ari Gold FTW!!!! :D
    Prison Break - 1st season = stunning
    How I met your mother
    L O S T ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Just finished watching The Inbetweeners, which I didn't think would be my cup of tea, but turned out to be pretty hilarious. Other comedies to consider: Eastbound and Down, Flight of the Conchords and definitely The Office. Breaking Bad is the funniest drama I've ever seen.

okay i've decided for you all

the funniest thing to spend your time watching is daily show and colbert report

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-22-2009/the-born-identity

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-29-2009/home-crisis-investigation

kaimera wrote: »
    sports night.

acquired this, its what aaron sorkin did before the west wing, from 1998!

its quite similar talky, snappy, speechy

god the laugh track nearly ruins this, the networked forced it on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I'll buck the trend and go for "Friday Night Lights" which is decent if you are into sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Dexter, Entourage and True Blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

my current favourite comedies are

How i met your mother
    30 Rock
    The Inbetweeners
    Californication
    Weeds
    Hung
    Entourage
    The Big Bang Theory

i really enjoyed the first season of Breaking Bad, i must "acquire" the second
    new shows i have also been enjoying are
    Leverage
    Warehouse 13
    Defying Gravity

carpoolers is amusing

• Advertisement
Advertisement