Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC Has gone under.

Options
  • 27-07-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it's official, Cork City FC have gone under. Kaput.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Disaster. Until Friday to raise 239K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Daisy D

kcb wrote: »
    Disaster. Until Friday to raise 239K.

Yeah but it's been like that for years and every deadline the bank just moves the deadline. I'll believe it's gone when they knock down The Shed...THEN I'll believe it's gone.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Daisy D wrote: »
    Yeah but it's been like that for years and every deadline the bank just moves the deadline. I'll believe it's gone when they knock down The Shed...THEN I'll believe it's gone.:rolleyes:

CCFC as we know it will be more than likely be gone.

Turner's Cross is owned by the MSL so if a new Cork time is founded they will play there.

Terrible news, 3000 fans without a team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

Well, it's official, Cork City FC have gone under. Kaput.

that'll teach them for sending cheques that bounce to the revenue. :rolleyes:

is there a law in ireland regarding issuing a cheque and not having the funds to cover it, i know its a law in some states in the US (saw it on judge judy :D )
    imo the figurehead comes across as a bit of a chancer and does anyone know who owns it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Daisy D wrote: »
    Yeah but it's been like that for years and every deadline the bank just moves the deadline.
    Afraid not. City has been owned by several different companies over the years, most of which have been through this exact process. All different companies though, no moved deadlines. The Revenue doesn't play games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

omerin wrote: »
    imo the figurehead comes across as a bit of a chancer and does anyone know who owns it?

Its Tom Coulghan that owns CCFC. Think hes also the figure head your talking about.

Shame the Irelands second city isnt gonna have a league team

It's a pity Brian Lennox couldn't keep at it, I reckon he was the best owner City had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

JimBob85 wrote: »
    Its Tom Coulghan that owns CCFC. Think hes also the figure head your talking about.

Shame the Irelands second city isnt gonna have a league team

Known as Tom the Gom, and with good reason.

A sure, I think it would be better to have a fan run team. The League is too small for any more than that.

Shame really, the regular crowd numbers in the range of 2500 and for big matches it goes past 4200. It's been years since I have seen it above 5000. If FORAS can get their act together and get a new team going with stricter controls on the spending of money there could be a good team on the horizon.

But only IF they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Heartbreaking stuff. In Portugal since Sunday and hear this news, had so much hope that things would go well. I guess that's what happens when you leave someone with f**k all knowledge of the business take over the club.

Now is the time for people to act, why leave yet another Cork club go under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Heartbreaking stuff. In Portugal since Sunday and hear this news, had so much hope that things would go well. I guess that's what happens when you leave someone with f**k all knowledge of the business take over the club.

Now is the time for people to act, why leave yet another Cork club go under.

Act and do what? (serious question)

• Advertisement

Fan-owned is the only way I'd support at this stage. Only problem is who takes charge. A fan-owned club with a tool in charge will do just as badly.

Illkillya wrote: »
    Act and do what? (serious question)

Show how much the club means to the city and county. All you have to do is go to the ccfcforum and see how many supporters are rallying together, willing to help moneywise etc.

Have heard rumours that another investor was interested in coming in, help was offered from Foras but Coughlan turned it down and wouldn't let third parties see the books. What has he got to hide! Coughlan Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Well in fairness Cork City have been in trouble for a long time now and the owners seem to have done very little publicly to save it.

For christs sake Real Madrid just played at Shamrock Rovers and Dunmanway were able to organise Liverpool FC...surely it wasn't beyond the realms for Cork City to organise a 4 team tournament this week with Real Madrid, Liverpool, Shamrock Rovers and Cork City and let Rovers and City split the takings. I'm sure Liverpool and Real could have been convinced to do it for free.

Also as a Sligo Rovers fan we managed to raise 130K last season to save our club in a county with a total population of 60K people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Some last ditch efforts are being discussed as we speak to save the club I believe. Quintas Group are involved.

kcb wrote: »
    Some last ditch efforts are being discussed as we speak to save the club I believe. Quintas Group are involved.

Hope it's true!

Dunno if it's too little too late but a friendly match against Celtic FC has been organised for August or September, hopefully it'll help. Will have to wait and see tomorrow i guess.

I think one of the big problems Cork City has is too many Cork people would rather travel to Old Trafford and Anfield than go to Turners Cross. I reckon I have been to Turners Cross more often than most of my mates and I'm not even from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

Hope it's true!

Dunno if it's too little too late but a friendly match against Celtic FC has been organised for August or September, hopefully it'll help. Will have to wait and see tomorrow i guess.

why flog a dead horse?

a bit of good pr for celtic (if its true) to show up for a friendly when they'll have no opposition (they might have a chance of winning :D <cheapshot>)

can someone explain if and more importantly why the supporters group want to take over the running of the club? if by some miracle the revenue debt is paid, there will be a wage bill the following week of 120k, plus god only knows what other debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Rodgeb

There was a piece on this on Newstalk about an hour ago.

A couple of developments behind the scenes today mean there may be hope with new investors coming in, foras involvement in the day to day running etc

Fingers crossed they can convince the Revenue tomorrow!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

as it stands

- City have organised a friendly against Celtic for august/sept. (Subject to them not being wound up)
    - They have released a statement saying they have organised a friendly and this will give them the remainder of the money required.

They will be telling the Revenue and the Court tomorrow(Fri) that they need an adjournment in order for the friendly to take place.

and its gonna be the judges decision -
    a) if city have had enough chances to get their house in order and its too late.
    b) one last chance of reprieve

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Rodgeb

Confirmed that we're gone on newstalk.

Gutted:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I heard that they're waiting on a judgement from a court of appeal or soemthing like that. We should know by 4pm today anyway.

DamienH wrote: »
    I heard that they're waiting on a judgement from a court of appeal or soemthing like that. We should know by 4pm today anyway.

They were given a Stay until Wednesday because there is a match tonight.

Those who want to help city a bit, why not go, €15 is not going to break the bank is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

it will be interesting to see what the total cost of the examinership will come to and i gather they will have to pay the costs incurred by the revenue too. i reckon total will be a sizeable figure.

Only 3000 people actually came to the match last friday, I was a little disappointed.

Thats exactly the point I was making earlier...I was working otherwise I would have been there. I asked five Cork lads at work if they were going to the game, not one of them was going despite talking about City all day long and their shift was over at 5pm!

If the fans of Sligo Rovers can raise 130K and survive then surely to god Cork City can. My impression is that City has problems top to bottom. Where the hell was the fund raising six months ago? Cork City should have been declaring they were going out of business for the last six months unless serious fundraising was done. Financial problems in business don't just appear overnight, there was plenty of time for City's owners to avoid the current mess. Sligo Rovers survived because both the club and fans accepted the financial situation as soon as it was announced and then everyone went all out to raise the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

The people of Cork have to come out and support our club. There's no point people moaning about Tommy No Bobs when noboddy wants to come to the Cross on a Friday Night. I stood around in the rain on Friday for 3 hours along with other City fans to drum up intrest in the match that night. After everything in the news and the papers over the week and all the publicity and column inches the club got only 3,055 turn up. Shocking.
    I'm 15 years of age and I get laughed at in school when I say my favourite team is City rather than Man United, Liverpool or some other club bases hundreds of miles away. I'm proud of my small local team and so should everyone in Cork. It's our time to Save our Club.
    City Til I Die,
    CianDon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Anything GAA related is not newsworthy, unless of course it is being eradicated.

GAA is being eradicated? About time.

Advertisement