Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

return to riding

Options
  • 27-07-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

hi there-just wanted to get some advice about returning to horse riding. Used to ride from about age 10 to 14, not very regularly as i had to save my pocket money to pay for lessons. was a pretty competent rider (comfortable going out on treks, galloping etc and jumping about a metre). im now 21 and the itch to get back riding is stronger than ever, so basically i just wanted to know, will i be returning to riding as a beginner, or is it like riding a bike and it will all come back to me? should i get private lessons? remember its been at least 6 years since i was last on a horse.

thanks for any advice in advance

Comments

Go to a school and start off on an intermediate type course - where there will be basic groundwork. See how you go from there!

It should come back, but you are going to HURT!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

To start off with, you will probably want to get into an advanced beginner class(where they walk, trot, canter, and jump very small jumps). You won't be at the level you were when you quit, simply because there will be things you have forgotton, and you won't have much muscle memory. You'll more than likely get tired and sore pretty quickly. Taking lessons at a level or two lower than you were at will allow you to get back into shape and remember things without the pressure you would find trying to go straight back into your old level.

If you are riding at least weekly, it will probably only take a few weeks to a couple months to get back up to around the level you were at. If you are riding less than weekly, it will probably be a number of months to get back to where you were.

Advertisement