Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 7mb ping problems - Still...

Options
  • 27-07-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I recently enough upgraded from a 3/4meg line to a 10meg line (and completely f**ked my ping up) and then movied back down to a 3/4 meg line ( in a vain attempt to get my old ping back) and then up to a 7meg down/ 365kbup line.

I know that the 7meg line is absolute pants for ping, not getting anything lower than 50ms compared to the original line I was on. Where I got pings in the mid teens to low 20s, even on wireless.

I've spent days on the phone trying to get them (eircom tech guys) to reverse whatever the f**k they did to my line to jack up the ping, to no avail. All I got was disconnected for a few days while they messed around with my con.

Any advice on getting my old ping back would be much appreciated.

ps. I'm meant to be on the *special gaming package* or whatever they call it that has low interleaving, yet it still shows up on router as being enabled and high.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

I think your out of luck.
    I did the same thing, nothing has brought my old pings back. My parents who live 3 1/2 miles from the exchange(i'm 0.8km) still get the low 20's(14min) pings on a 3mb.
    They have BT(BTVodafone???). So as soon as my contracts up i'm switching.

The best Eircom told me was i could get low pings on the 1mb line. As if i'm dropping to that from 7mb, i download 30-40 average. Smart are my other option. Its all resold Eircom though.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 10.10 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 8.00
    CRC Errors 21 5

Thats the first time i've ever seen crc errors!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

just did a restart on the modem

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 12.30 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 8.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Pinging www.boards.ie

Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 30/30/30 msec

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

CRC errors aren't a big deal. Once the line doesn't lose sync, they're no big deal. Some weeks I could get over a 1000, others just a hundred or two. Lightning will cause CRC errors no matter how good your wiring is.

You can get low pings on the 3 mbit package. Pings to boards drop down to 10-15 ms. 30ms ain't that bad??

My pings to irish websites average around 50-55 (more rarely they're persistently around 65). Full 64/8 interleaving on a 1 mbit special profile for long lines.

I'm tempted to be put on the ordinary 0 interleaving profile as my signal margin is always >14 dB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Where are you guys based? Dublin?

When i upgraded to the 7meg package i had no problems at all to be honest, small rise in ping (10-20ms) but it was still well playable. Unfortunately since 3 months ago its been unplayable in *any* game because of packet loss but thank the gods you dont have that problem yet :pac:

Maybe change ISPs and go for the 3meg package?

Advertisement