Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunter S Thompson

Options
  • 27-07-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Great documentary on the beeb last night. I'd forgotten how funny his books were. I've read fear and loathing in las vegas, and on the campaign trail, and I'm wondering if any of his other books are even half as funny and worth a read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Yes, I caught that as well, never knew about his crazy 'funeral', it was a good watch.

It's been a while but I enjoyed Hell's Angels a lot. After the docu, I'll have to check out more of his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Kingdom of Fear is outrageous at times. One of the chapter titles is Jesus Hated Bald Pussy. :pac:

Lots of funny stuff in all of his work really. His two volume collection of letters is brilliant - some of his letters to editors,dentists,newspapers,agents etc are hysterical.

You can read some of his rare articles at my website

http://totallygonzo.org

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Hells Angels is a good read but hard to follow at times due to the 60's style of writing and references but I'd definitely recommend it.Want to get reading The Cmapign trail book its meant to be good but need to brush up on me politics from that era though!

I thought Hells Angel's was pretty straightforward. What did you find difficult about it? Maybe I can clarify any confusion with it for you.

If you are not familiar with U.S. politics then you might find Campaign Trail difficult. Maybe you'd be better off with his later work like Curse of Lono.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Good website Ronmexico, I like "withnail and I" too.

and Gillington, campaign trail is funnier than las vegas(IMO) and you don't need to know anything about politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I read the opening to fear and loathing at a friends house recently, very funny. I'm gonna buy the book soon enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The rum diaries is very good as a novel. The great shark hunt has it's moments too but goes into a lot of detail on American Politics at times but is still worth a read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I'm Reading the Rum Diary at the moment. Good stuff

I have the script for the movie if anyone is interested.

Advertisement