Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dey tuk our jebs!!!!

• 27-07-2009 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

So yes, a summer job thread. I'll be 16 soon and begin a fresh set of job exploration during the school term. This year, I was turned down...everywhere. They were either full up (DEY TUK OUR JEEEEBZ) or I was too young. :( So I ask the young adults here, what is your part-time job? Do you like it? What's the pay (if you think that's nosy, you may just say if it's ****/grand/okay/mediocre.

Also, a more specific question, do Tesco hire under 18's?

Thanks, hope dey didn't tak your jeb. I hope to soon. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The only thing under 18's have is they can pay us peanuts (6.06 to be precise)

My current job is in a filling station/service station, sweeping up, carwaashs and taking/sorting deliverys. Then some shifts on the tills aswell. Its an alright job tbh, out and about with people so aint too bad, best part is clearly randomly driving the forklift around when im bored :cool:

Although it only pays 6.75 an hour at the moment, i get tips a good bit for helping people or washing their cars so its not too bad on the pay front. Ill have an 8 hour shift every weekend during college aswell so thatl be good, plus being 18 then ill be paid even more, 70/80 euro a week during college will be well spent :D:D

My niehgbor got a job 2 years ago with tesco when he was 17 anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I know a few under 18's working for Tesco.

I work one night a week at a wedding funtiony/conference centre/lakeside spa place. It's unfortunate that out of the whole week, the 10 hours I usually have to work are the only ones I could be doing something better (6pm-4am Saturday nights :(). I quite like it otherwise though. I get to drive a golf buggy around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I work in a lovely hotel doing functions and weddings and the like. I'd get two nights a week, with five hours work each night, which could be up to seven if I do afters. The recession hasn't helped things, there are a small bit less weddings, though the numbers are now much smaller. There was some industrial agreement and we get a bit more than the minimum wage - 6.37 I believe. Though I'm 18 now so I've moved up to 7.26 :cool: I love my job :)

What's the minimum wage for >18 year olds now? €7.36 an hour? I had a job a few years ago working in a petrol station and I was always paid €8.65 an hour, with the minimum wage being, at the time, €8.35 an hour I believe.

I worked there for 2 years -- from age 16 to 18 -- and I was always paid €8.65 an hour, which was nice of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Had the best job ever last year when i was 16/17 and got 9.60 a hour plus tips was pretty sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

When I was 16 I had a job which paid €6.06 an hour!
    Saved up loads though, still have a bit from it knocking around in the bank even though I haven't worked since. 2 years later.
    Yah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

get paid €8.65 an hour, am 17 :D

spend it as soon as i get it though..
    i even plan what to spend the next weeks pay on (next week its a gym membership)

so basically, since getting a job 3/4 weeks ago i have no more money, but much more random stuff / buy more food

bythewoods wrote: »
    When I was 16 I had a job which paid €6.06 an hour!
    Saved up loads though, still have a bit from it knocking around in the bank even though I haven't worked since. 2 years later.
    Yah.

How could you still have savings?!

What sickens me is the amount of money I've spent and what I've spent it on. You know the P60s that you get at the end of each working year that tell you how much you've earned? When I got them I was sickened because I realised how large my savings could have been. But instead I wasted my money on stupid novelties and going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

How could you still have savings?! .

I put the money into a bank account I can't access unless I actually go into the bank to take it out. Which I never do.
    What sickens me is the amount of money I've spent and what I've spent it on. You know the P60s that you get at the end of each working year that tell you how much you've earned? When I got them I was sickened because I realised how large my savings could have been. But instead I wasted my money on stupid novelties and going out.

Yeah, I'm the same as you.
    If I saved all the money I waste on alcohol or nights out in general/ clothes I don't even really wear or just wear once/ general crap I could actually buy big, useful things.
    But alas, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I just got myself a job :D

Worst hours ever.......

And I have to work the afternoon of my birthday, and the morning after.......

meh

It's money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I get to drive a golf buggy around.

On your feet for hours on end? Pffftt. :P

Last year I was being paid around €12 an hour. When I was leaving, my boss said he'd do his best to get me back in this Summer, which he did, but with cutbacks and stuff, it didn't happen. Bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

bythewoods wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm the same as you.
    If I saved all the money I waste on alcohol or nights out in general/ clothes I don't even really wear or just wear once/ general crap I could actually buy big, useful things.
    But alas, no.
    I think big, 'useful' things are overhyped.

I think although I could buy more expensive things if I never went out, that the fun I get from said nights out is worth the money I spend.

I have a relatively new philosophy in my life which makes me tend towards spending money more on experiences and less on material items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

What's the minimum wage for >18 year olds now? €7.36 an hour? I had a job a few years ago working in a petrol station and I was always paid €8.65 an hour, with the minimum wage being, at the time, €8.35 an hour I believe.

I worked there for 2 years -- from age 16 to 18 -- and I was always paid €8.65 an hour, which was nice of them.

Depends. The minimum wage for someone over 18 ranges from about €7 to €8.65. You've worked for 2 years so you'd get the full minimum wage if you were to start working again. That said a lot of places just pay minimum wage to 18 year olds even if they haven't worked for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

But instead I wasted my money on stupid novelties and going out.

All work and no play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

The amount of people (teenagers) in my town who cant get a job is scary. And to be honest, the ones who do have either got them through their parents or people they know. ITS ALL ABOUT CONNECTIONS these days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's impossible to get anything atm unless you know someone :mad:

curse my self employed family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i've worked in a kids adventure centre thing since i was 16 (18 now) and really not as much fun as you'd think.
    I got €8 an hour which was increased to €10 an hour when i turned 18, but haven't got any hours the last few weeks. Apparently july was just really quiet for parties and stuff so I'm hoping I'll get some hours in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bricky10 wrote: »
    ITS ALL ABOUT CONNECTIONS these days :(

[Evil Laughter]HAHAHAHAHAHA[/Evil Laughter]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

bricky10 wrote: »
    The amount of people (teenagers) in my town who cant get a job is scary. And to be honest, the ones who do have either got them through their parents or people they know. ITS ALL ABOUT CONNECTIONS these days :(
    Yeah I know! Everyone who had a job in the "good times" have an advantage too. Their employers give them priority for work so if you haven't been already working you're squeezed out.
    phasers wrote: »
    It's impossible to get anything atm unless you know someone :mad:

curse my self employed family
    Why couldn't you work for your parents for a nominal wage? Know a few people who do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

jumpguy wrote: »
    Why couldn't you work for your parents for a nominal wage? Know a few people who do that.
    It's not the type of business with employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

phasers wrote: »
    It's not the type of business with employees.

Curse my dirty mind...

Anyway, I had a christmas job this christmas and afterwards the manager said if anything came up over summer he'd call me but apparantly nothing came up. I'm going to look for something now when I go back to school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I get paid €15 an hour to teach people guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

when i was 17 i was earning an average of 110-120 bucks a day for 3-4 hours work..it was SWEET!!

Now i don't have a job. BOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

when i was 17 i was earning an average of 110-120 bucks a day for 3-4 hours work..it was SWEET!!

Now i don't have a job. BOOO

Where were you working dude? thats some moneY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah the only place I've ever heard getting those kinda rates is the local brothel Politician's Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Where were you working dude? thats some moneY!!

Mercenary Farming!!

Milking Large Herds of cows:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Delivery driver. Generally earn €15-30 an hour, depending on custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I've been working in the pro shop of a golf club for about 2 and a half years now...started off at 8 an hour, now on 9, and i was 16 when i started...i have a lovely boss :D Really love it tho, usually dealing with members that i've gotten to know quite well since i started, love the atmosphere down in the place :)
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    I get to drive a golf buggy around.

Me too!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Working at golf courses is beyond handy best jobs ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Worked when I was 16 in a hotel, hated it. €6.15 an hour. oh it was awful. so i quit, still cant find a job! was told I had one for this summer but never got called. :( im going into 6th year now so i cant be looking for a job, not that there is any there anyway. I'll have to start looking in January for a job for next Summer me thinks!

Advertisement