Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dey tuk our jebs!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ive looked for a job every summer since i was 16 but no luck.
    m&s rang me when i was 16 with an interview but then said they couldnt hire me till i was 17 grrr.
    i need employment.
    ill do anything at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Does anybody know if delivering pizzas is actually daecent work? They're always looking for people where I live, I thought it might be a handy little number when I get my full license

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

phasers wrote: »
    Does anybody know if delivering pizzas is actually daecent work? They're always looking for people where I live, I thought it might be a handy little number when I get my full license

I'm doing chinese deliveries, but it's not going to be enormously different. Yeah, it's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm doing chinese deliveries, but it's not going to be enormously different. Yeah, it's fun.

this might sound stupid, but do you need your own car or do they provide one...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

ive looked for a job every summer since i was 16 but no luck.
    m&s rang me when i was 16 with an interview but then said they couldnt hire me till i was 17 grrr.
    i need employment.
    ill do anything at this point!

Hmmm *strokes chin* :pac:

• Advertisement

kateos2 wrote: »
    this might sound stupid, but do you need your own car or do they provide one...

You'll need your own car I expect. It'd be a ridiculously huge business overhead for a typical takeaway to buy, tax and insure even one car, and most will have several drivers. I don't even get a petrol allowance where I am, but it's still a fairly profitable job. Generally works out fairly well on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

wixfjord wrote: »
    Hmmm *strokes chin* :pac:
    Stop that!!!!:mad: Leave me alone!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

How the hell did that happen?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you were prepared and looked for jobs early then you should have been able to find something.

I sent out about 20 CV's to various companies around feb/march and was offered 3 separate jobs/internships for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

17 and work in a library. BORING but pays very well :p

• Advertisement

Jonathan wrote: »
    If you were prepared and looked for jobs early then you should have been able to find something.

I sent out about 20 CV's to various companies around feb/march and was offered 3 separate jobs/internships for the summer.

With due respect, your experiences do not represent the wider reality. 20 CVs is absolutely nothing. I know of people who've put out between two and three hundred this year with no response, despite previous work experience for several years and good employability.

Boys and girls its a horrible but true fact at the end of the day, its not about what you know, but who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Boys and girls its a horrible but true fact at the end of the day, its not about what you know, but who you know.

Did that come as a surprise to you?

Fad wrote: »
    Did that come as a surprise to you?
    Terrible terrible supprise. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

With due respect, your experiences do not represent the wider reality. 20 CVs is absolutely nothing. I know of people who've put out between two and three hundred this year with no response, despite previous work experience for several years and good employability.
    When did they send them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

i cut hedges and grass for money...lol also do work on flowerbeds, I'm 18:D
    all this is thanks to my brother in law,who has loads of regular customers.the pay is a bit **** tbh but scabbing off the mam nd dad more than makes up for that:rolleyes:

oh and you get free tea nd bicies from ppl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've half a mind to apply in Tesco's when I turn 16, they're hiring all over the place these days. Anywhere will do though, the big supermarkets pay is alright enough.

Feckin not what you know but who you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

It's only horrible for the rest of you plebs.

Jonathan wrote: »
    When did they send them out?

Between January and June. There's work out there, but it's only available through hard work, luck and connections. Just about everyone is having difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I've never worked and I haven't bothered to look for it.

I bet that if I sent out 1 CV, I'd get a job. Why? It's nothing to do with how employable I am or connections. It's quite simple.

The universe is unfair and loves to rub it in your face.

The new item drop system in TF2 is a good case study. New players with no idea what was going on got all the rarest weapons in 5 minutes. Player who actively sought items and wasted their lives by playing all day got an item they already had every 20 hours.

In a similar way, the fact that you actively seek employment only makes it more likely that I'd be employed considering that I don't really care.

It's simple science! except it's not.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Someone mentioned delivering food. Do you have to have a full license? because I'm getting my provisional in a few weeks. And do you have to be over 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Someone mentioned delivering food. Do you have to have a full license? because I'm getting my provisional in a few weeks. And do you have to be over 18?
    Yeah you have to have a full license.Cant be hiring 2 people to drive around since youd need a full licensed driver with you at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Darn...

Oh well, at least I could always transport drugs or prostitutes (prostitutes with full licences of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I've a lovely job in a pub - so that's me settled for about a year, maybe more, but at the moment it's only on busy nights.

Money is sweet too - I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Legions of people look for jobs as soon as the hols roll round. You're better off holding down a job during the school year if you can (you'll get the extra shifts during the summer and all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Earth Dweller

I'm twenty now and I feel so old cos I've been working since I was 15 in a crappy deli where I was paid a fiver an hour, I was dying to get a job and a bit of money so it did me grand but boss was a gimp. It was a rotten job but I think it's good to have a crap job when your young as a first job cos it teaches you to appreciate things and when you get a better job then you appreciate it. I've had loads of jobs cos my motto is if you're not happy move on but I suppose that's not as easy to do today as it was a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

best job ever this summer worked in apub in galway whatever hours i wanted and 12.50 an hour! heaven!

just debating whether i should keep it up during leaving cert though?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Cloned Alien

Best job ever was working in my local off license was on 10 euro an hour to sit on my ass and tell the part time staff what to do i was only 18. Plus the cheap drink was also great. Alas its no more, i hate my current job. thats what a reccesion does unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Davidius wrote: »
    I've never worked and I haven't bothered to look for it.

I bet that if I sent out 1 CV, I'd get a job. Why? It's nothing to do with how employable I am or connections. It's quite simple.

The universe is unfair and loves to rub it in your face.

The new item drop system in TF2 is a good case study. New players with no idea what was going on got all the rarest weapons in 5 minutes. Player who actively sought items and wasted their lives by playing all day got an item they already had every 20 hours.

In a similar way, the fact that you actively seek employment only makes it more likely that I'd be employed considering that I don't really care.

It's simple science! except it's not.

:pac:

But you got a hat :mad:

Advertisement