Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A6 2.0 tdi e or bmw 520d

• 27-07-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Looking for a nice saloon car next year. Has anyone compared the audi vs the bmw? I've always driven audis but the small engine a6 seemed a bit disappointing when i drove one as a loan car last year. Does anyone have any views given that the audi is a bit cheaper and there's a new 5 series coming soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd still pick the 520d over the A6 even if they new one was coming. You could use it as leverage to get a better deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

EPM wrote: »
    I'd still pick the 520d over the A6 even if they new one was coming. You could use it as leverage to get a better deal

I've just been pricing a 5 Series for a customer. They are now offering a Business Edition for around €1,300 more than the SE which gets Business Navigation System, Integrated Bluetooth (usually around €1,300 alone), CD Changer and Dakota Leather.

Probably to try an kick start stagnant 5 Series sales. The A6 isn't bad but I'd take the 5 as well.

Or, I might be tempted to save over €10k and get a Superb 2.0Tdi 170ps DSG Elegance which is better specced and bigger inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

R.O.R wrote: »
    I've just been pricing a 5 Series for a customer. They are now offering a Business Edition for around €1,300 more than the SE which gets Business Navigation System, Integrated Bluetooth (usually around €1,300 alone), CD Changer and Dakota Leather.

So i guess this is the beginning of the end of the current model!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

The new 5 series would be nice if the bank manager is in a good mood. Slightly off thread, is there much room in the back of an a5? Say for 3 kids under 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The A5 only has 4 belts, so won't take 3 kids in the back.

BMW did the same thing last time with the Comfort Pack on the 5 Series - you'd get leather, alloys and a few other bits for cheap enough money.

• Advertisement

At least that narrows down the choices. Thanks for info. Hate visiting dealers without all the facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tweaf

A6 everytime.

ashleey wrote: »
    Does anyone have any views given that the audi is a bit cheaper

What's your budget, Ashleey? We'll pick a spec and see how it measures up the the Beemer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I had a spare couple of hours a few weeks ago and went back into a BMW dealer and a Merc dealer just to make sure I made the right choice when I got my A6.

First the BMW 5 series.

In plain Jane spec it looked slightly bland outside. M spec on the 3 and 5 is what I feel should be standard.

Inside it doesn't set my world alight. The dash area is not to my liking but that would probably change if I actually owned one. Rear passenger space is good but I found rear wheel arches force your arm up which I found ok sitting in it but might become annoying over longer periods of time.

Cheapest I could find on BMW.IE is €47400 for a 170 odd bhp diesel maybe there is cheaper.

Now for the new Merc E class.

Not overly keen on the new front two squareish headlights didn't appeal to me. There are also more sharp angles all around the car.

Inside its nice but they do continue the square sharp angle theme.

Cheapest starts about €43600 or so for the 170bhp diesel version.

The Audi gives it a good run but not in basic spec.

E engine is similar to outgoing in power but is cleaner so cheaper road tax.

Its a comfortable car to drive I have the 170bhp diesel and I find it great to drive and last tank returned 48.4mpg.

Its well loaded but you will still find yourself looking at the options list.

In certain specs its only a couple of thousand more than an similar A4.

The A4 is a good car but again you will find yourself wanting to add to it .

I looked briefly at the 3 series but find it too small in the rear and boot and ended up costing too much to get one spec'd like I wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely there is a new A6 in the pipeline too over the next 18 to 24 months or so? The current model has been around since early 2004 which is about 12 months after the current 5 Series was launched.

As ugly as the E60 is from certain angles, I still would choice it over the A6. I just cannot warm to the A6, the interior is too conservatively styled for me.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Surely there is a new A6 in the pipeline too over the next 18 to 24 months or so? The current model has been around since early 2004 which is about 12 months after the current 5 Series was launched.

As ugly as the E60 is from certain angles, I still would choice it over the A6. I just cannot warm to the A6, the interior is too conservatively styled for me.

2012 before the next gen A6 will land on our shores, Chris said once

New A6 due in 2011/12.

AUDI-A6-v.jpg

As for the interior its a personal thing. You either like certain things or you don't.

I'd prefer if it went more along these lines:)
    3283717635_17f0639a97.jpg

Looks like the Audi designers are getting very lazy, could easily be an A4 or A5 Sportback.

All manufacturers work to have a common look across all their cars. It's hardly laziness... :rolleyes:

bazz26 wrote: »
    Looks like the Audi designers are getting very lazy, could easily be an A4 or A5 Sportback.

There is absolutely nothing official about either of those pics to be fair. In bazzachazza's pic, from that angle, i couldn't tell it from a current A4, or an A5 sportback for that matter

I think there artist impressions.

No official pictures available yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think the new E Class (with proper spec and wheels) would be the pick.

Out of the A6 & 5 series, its hard to decide. New model 5 coming soon although better car all round than A6. I wouldnt buy either at the present time

Zonda999 wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing official about either of those pics to be fair. In bazzachazza's pic, from that angle, i couldn't tell it from a current A4, or an A5 sportback for that matter
    I think there artist impressions.

No official pictures available yet.

Autoblog think the new A6'll be based on the Sportback Coupe, which is possibly the A7.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/13/rendered-speculation-2011-audi-a6/

While it is true that every model within a manufacturer's range has a similar corporate identification I think they still need to distinquish one model from another in their range a little bit more other than size. They are only artist's impressions so maybe the artist is just being lazy and will reserve judgement on the finished product.

Anyway this is going way OT.

• Advertisement

I like and am familiar with audi interiors and know the options. Bmw are more bland inside but all reviewers say they drive best. Maybe the merc will be the best financial decision. Wouldn't want to lash out about than 40k minus trade in and also pick the worst depreciating model. Is the e class for the older person though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is the e class for the older person though?

Some would say it is but im 30 and would consider one instead of my A5

Is the e class for the older person though?

No more than an A6 or a 5 series IMO. Just because your not a senior citizen, doesnt mean that you have to put up with the rough ride in the 5 series. In terms of resale value, though, it is hard to see the others keeping their value as well as a new model E220cdi, a couple of years down the line

2010-mercedes-benz-e-class-sedan_5.jpg

I feel its aimed more at the 35+ man than anything younger. Hence the Noel Edmonds driving his new wife and kids.

Where as the C class is a bit younger manish a bit more aggressive looking

c_class_official.jpg

This is one Artist impression of the new 5 series due mid 2010

2011-5-series-1.jpg&w=900

Spyshot

bmw-5-series-715-3.jpg&w=900

I'm 40 and now petrified of being associated with noel edmonds. Had an s line a6 uk import before and was totally unsuited to any road outside germany. If the 5 series is similar then it has to be a merc. Pity it's the most expensive. Is the auto ok for the 220 cdi? It will help resale but cost in tax band

Is the auto ok for the 220 cdi? It will help resale but cost in tax band

Because the 220cdi would be a base model, i dont think an auto would be absolutely necessary, unlike in a bigger engine. You see plenty manual 520d's around. An auto will also shove up the initial price too of course

In my experience, being a non-auto punished Mercs far more than it punished any of the other brands, especially in the larger cars like the E-Class.
    Do your research on that one, OP.

All of a sudden it's bigger engines and autos. I may as well import a 3 year old a8 like i want to but my wife doesn't.

Nah, not really.

My €0.02:
    Stay with the A6 2.0TDi, 520d or E220CDi.
    Manual or auto in the Audi or Beemer, Auto only in the Merc.
    My preference is auto in any of them, because I think it suits the size.
    Leather is preferable.
    Classy colours (silver, navy, black, grey) with a plush interior (black or beige leather, put wood in a beige interior).

Go secondhand and bigger if you want, the early '00 7-Series owners will be here in a moment, don't worry... :D
    You'll need to get that one past the wife though - debadging may be in order??? :p

• Advertisement

Makes sense. I'm back to the a6 as the cheapest option and the nicest interior but worst ride. It would be nice if they could manage to pep the engine up to 170 and still keep the co2 at 139

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mickdw wrote: »
    Some would say it is but im 30 and would consider one instead of my A5
    ...changing an A5 already ..? why, out of curiousity ?

OP - Audi would be my choice bar one thing: we've an 09 Multitronic 2.0 Tdi at work.......gorgeous. Suspension very firm, though. Too firm, really.........in all other respects, nicer than the 5. So maybe you need to drive, both.

E-class........mmm, apart from the sheer ugliness of it, it'd be a fine car.

Auto in all 3, and don't even dream of a manual Merc - you'll be 'married' to it for life.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Makes sense. I'm back to the a6 as the cheapest option and the nicest interior but worst ride. It would be nice if they could manage to pep the engine up to 170 and still keep the co2 at 139

Once you buy it you can get it remapped. The 140 brake diesel can achieve 180+ brake. This will affect your warranty if the dealer found out mind. Maybe Audi do a dealer approved remap?

Manual or Auto the 170 version is only in the 20% VRT bracket so €302 per year to tax and only carries a €1,370 premium over the 136bhp version.

I'll reserve judgement on the E-Class until I see one up close.

I'd take a Skoda Superb any day over an A6, but I'm not bothered about the badge like some folk are, but I'd take a 520d over all the options posted - preferably in M-Sport spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭sk8board

Is the ride in the s-line A6 really as bad as everyone makes out?

It'd be my choice out of the 3, but probably not if its a back-breaker

I had an 06 avant 3.0 litre diesel but i had to change it when the 4th child arrived. It was a uk car and so low that i was nervous of grounding it all the time. The irish ones aren't lowered as much, only to 'sports suspension' setting. I think the se setting wouldn't be too bad. It then points back to the bmw especially as their new releases are softer than the outgoing models. Then it's a choice between a 170 a6 se and the new 520d when it arrives next year. Bmw pricing will be interesting given the fall in the merc price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I had an 06 avant 3.0 litre diesel but i had to change it when the 4th child arrived. It was a uk car and so low that i was nervous of grounding it all the time. The irish ones aren't lowered as much, only to 'sports suspension' setting. I think the se setting wouldn't be too bad. It then points back to the bmw especially as their new releases are softer than the outgoing models. Then it's a choice between a 170 a6 se and the new 520d when it arrives next year. Bmw pricing will be interesting given the fall in the merc price.

The A6 SE isn't supposed to be as bad as the S-line, HOWEVER..... the TDIe is dropped 20mm or so for aerodynamic/efficiency reasons, so that might put it somewhere between the s-line and the regular SE for ride comfort even though it's standard suspension and still on 17's.

so the s-line is a back-breaker?

I commute mainly on M1/M50, and was looking at the s-line A6 avant.

drove my brothers s-line A4 last week, and though it was a bit harsh/rigid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

R.O.R wrote: »
    Manual or Auto the 170 version is only in the 20% VRT bracket so €302 per year to tax and only carries a €1,370 premium over the 136bhp version.

I'll reserve judgement on the E-Class until I see one up close.

I'd take a Skoda Superb any day over an A6, but I'm not bothered about the badge like some folk are, but I'd take a 520d over all the options posted - preferably in M-Sport spec.

The badge on the Superb doesn't bother me in the slightest either. It's the uglyness of the thing that bothers me the most! How could they make such a balls of it?

Biro wrote: »
    The badge on the Superb doesn't bother me in the slightest either. It's the uglyness of the thing that bothers me the most! How could they make such a balls of it?

But you don't notice that when you are sat in the luxurious cabin, messing around with the touch screen radio :D

It's the trick saloon/hatch boot which throws it out of proportion. A price I'd be willing to pay for the savings and extra space over an A6.

Biro wrote: »

Problem solved:D

9080403.014.1L2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

sk8board wrote: »
    so the s-line is a back-breaker?

I commute mainly on M1/M50, and was looking at the s-line A6 avant.

drove my brothers s-line A4 last week, and though it was a bit harsh/rigid

Hmmm I find this hard to understand, I have a UK import s-line A6 2.0TDI with the sports suspension. I find it lovely on the roads unless you are hitting the really bad pot holed roads we have around the place but I would not expect that to be nice in any car.

Go for the 170bhp one, great engine and the suspension is not lowered. I personally have to say I love the ride its a lot softer than the S40 I just sold. Eats any of the bumps and small potholes that would normally have jarred me in the S40.

kayos wrote: »
    Hmmm I find this hard to understand, I have a UK import s-line A6 2.0TDI with the sports suspension. I find it lovely on the roads unless you are hitting the really bad pot holed roads we have around the place but I would not expect that to be nice in any car.

you're right; I found it great on good roads, but on the back roads you had to back off a little (nor was I travelling at all fast to begin with), and you could really feel it on speed bumps and such, irrespective of speed.
    I'd say its that I'm not used to sports suspensions, and used to the fluffy ride of a renault.

You've appeased my hesitation either way. As I said, its a 26mile commute over motorway mainly, and the A6 does the job nicely for much less cost than the 5-series for a 3yo one. Theres not that many A6 s-line's about either, especially the Avant.

Thanks all for a great discussion. Looks like a 170 a6 2.0 tdi se is the winner on the price, interior, suspension comfort and tax bracket compromise. I was tempted by a skoda but the ancient pd engine rules it out. Now to find a friendly dealer. We live in kilkenny and travel to donegal alot hence the worry about ride.

May I suggest Foster motors in Dublin always pleasant to deal with or Robbie in Western Motors in Drogheda just off the M1.

I bought there and got a very good deal.

Appreciate that. Discounts don't exist down our end of the country.

We live in kilkenny and travel to donegal alot hence the worry about ride.

I travelled from KK as far as Athlone (same road as donegal I would guess) just last weekend, and averaged just 62kmph over a 125km journey! Thats how bad the roads are; definitely don't go with the s-line ;)

Thanks all for a great discussion. Looks like a 170 a6 2.0 tdi se is the winner on the price, interior, suspension comfort and tax bracket compromise. I was tempted by a skoda but the ancient pd engine rules it out. Now to find a friendly dealer. We live in kilkenny and travel to donegal alot hence the worry about ride.

Superb 170 is the CR engine as well, the 140 is the old PD.

Bit out of your way, but Newmarket Motors in Co. Cork are very good to deal with (Bernard on the Audi side of things).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

sk8board wrote: »
    you're right; I found it great on good roads, but on the back roads you had to back off a little (nor was I travelling at all fast to begin with), and you could really feel it on speed bumps and such, irrespective of speed.
    I'd say its that I'm not used to sports suspensions, and used to the fluffy ride of a renault.

Na the only reason I back off on the back roads is dodgy corners and a big lump of a car going around them and road too narrow :).

I should have added my last everyday car was on coilovers and setup for the track so anything would be comfy compared to that. But on the flip side I think there is nothing worse than getting into a car that has a very soft suspension set-up.

I do a lot of driving and take in everything from motorway to twisty narrow crappy back roads. I get about 52mpg on the long runs and well I wont mention inner city driving as tbh my last 1.8T petrol was lighter on the fuel around town than the A6 :(.

Thanks again. It looks like a false economy to go with the 'e' version and the standard black with black leather looks good. I don't think the irish se version comes with sat nav whereas the uk ones do. The 170 is quite rare in the uk though so finding a 6 month old post facelift one will be tricky. Will try maybe around september. Unless there will be good deals for new january ones from the dealers mentioned and use garmin to save a couple of grand on satnav

• Advertisement
Advertisement