Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arkham Asylum Review

• 27-07-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Just been on metacritic there and noticed the first review is in for Arkham Asylum from Gamesmaster - 96% :eek:
    Arkham Asylum is a game with the power to utterly captivate you and can stand proudly alongside modern classics such as "Resident Evil 4", "Gears of War," and "BioShock"...Simply put, Batman: Arkham Asylum is a masterpiece.

Don't read Gamesmaster so don't know what their reviews are like but thats definitely whetted the appetite for this game. Roll on August 25th.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

mika27 wrote: »
    Just been on metacritic there and noticed the first review is in for Arkham Asylum from Gamesmaster - 96% :eek:

Don't read Gamesmaster so don't know what their reviews are like but thats definitely whetted the appetite for this game. Roll on August 25th.

sweet, i cant wait for this game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if its on their cover i wouldnt pay any heed, not after the news that eidos were only letting people who gave it the cover plus a 90+ score break the embargo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I cant wait for this but i aint taking any notice of this review - Eidos Fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Hadn't heard about that story, it will be interesting to see what scores it gets from other sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Really looking forward to this! i have the special edition pre-ordered (with the batarang, oh yes!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

As posted by Helix, and posted in another forum thread do not take heed of any COVER reviews
    Several mags have their review code [of Batman Arkham Asylum] already, but have to sit on their reviews until a hateful embargo expires at the end of the month. But Eidos, ever the helpful fellows that they are, have been offering a way around this embargo. If you dedicate the cover of your mag to Arkham Asylum and guarantee a score of at least 90%, Eidos will allow you to run the review early.

TRR says that while "one editor has already valiantly told Eidos to **** off", others have been less resolute. "This means", they say, "that if you see a mag turn up within the next few weeks (ding!) that features Arkham Asylum on its cover (ding!) and gives it at least 90% (ding ding ding!), you have a winner."

Full Link Here : http://kotaku.com/5311606/eidos-once-again-attempting-to-mess-with-review-scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

How bad is this my girlfriend is off to OZ for 3 weeks so im free to get all the gaming in i want !! great,:D execpt she gets back on Aug the 25th :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just because she's back doesn't mean you have to let her in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

humanji wrote: »
    Just because she's back doesn't mean you have to let her in.
    lol change the locks!!!!
    this game looks great and im waiting for my collectors edition:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ive heard the combat gets repetitive fast, its just "attack attack attack" and Bats flies around knocking everyone out easy.

If the difficulty intensifies, say by goons with guns being vicious and a more stealth, picking them off approach needed then I will love it but I am still on the fence over this. Post up your thoughts when ya get it guys....please :D

they havent even sent us out the debug code yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Christ Gamesmaster are still in business? Use to get that as a young fella. Interesting on the review, hope a demo comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

96% for a 12 hour long button bash game that doesn't even have any multiplayer??
    Snortle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

96% for a 12 hour long button bash game that doesn't even have any multiplayer??
    Snortle.

I would have given Uncharted: Drake's Fortune a similar score and it lasts only eight hours...

/looks at where thread is located...steps back slowly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well we are used to better quality games in xbox land :P

2 good comments on that kotaku link:
    kotaku quote 1:

To the bullsh1tmobile! *tananannananaaaaa
    kotaku quote 2:

Why would Eidos negotiate a world exclusive review to a magazine with such low global circulation compared to Game Informer or the internet traffic of an IGN or UGO network?

If the idea was to generate as much exposure for your game wouldn't you want as many potential customers to read that glowing review? Or maybe you want to create only positive exposure for your game, so you give an exclusive cover/review to a magazine almost wholly unknown outside of it's relatively small region?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

You could look at that story on kotaku another way - maybe Gamesmaster got the review code of the game and felt it was deserving of a cover story and a 96% score so took the deal from Eidos as a result.

Ok so it still doesn't reflect well on either of them but at least it doesn't mean the game is bad. If Eidos release a demo before the game comes out then we can make up our mind and it might restore a bit of their credibility.

Otacon wrote: »
    I would have given Uncharted: Drake's Fortune a similar score and it lasts only eight hours...

/looks at where thread is located...steps back slowly.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR LOL:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You could look at that story on kotaku another way - maybe Gamesmaster got the review code of the game and felt it was deserving of a cover story and a 96% score so took the deal from Eidos as a result.

Ok so it still doesn't reflect well on either of them but at least it doesn't mean the game is bad. If Eidos release a demo before the game comes out then we can make up our mind and it might restore a bit of their credibility.

Forgive me for being a cycnic but when was the last time there was a reviews embargo like this and the game ended up being anything but a stinker?

• Advertisement

was it assassins creed? beautiful game but flawed because it seemed so one dimentional like so repetitive?? or far cry 2 so pretty but again annoying ****ing malaria lol

2 good comments on that kotaku link:
    kotaku quote 2:

Why would Eidos negotiate a world exclusive review to a magazine with such low global circulation compared to Game Informer or the internet traffic of an IGN or UGO network?

If the idea was to generate as much exposure for your game wouldn't you want as many potential customers to read that glowing review? Or maybe you want to create only positive exposure for your game, so you give an exclusive cover/review to a magazine almost wholly unknown outside of it's relatively small region?

it wasnt exclusive, it was there to anyone who would take it. if 10 took it youd have 10 magazines worldwide with it on the cover and a 90+ score

no it doesnt mean the game is bad, it could be fully deserving of the score, but you cant give it ANY credibility until there are impartial reviews out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Rocksteady Studios, the developers, will be doing a live interview o Eurogamer @ 3PM today. Could be interesting and will hopefully clarify a few matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

We can see for our selves whether its gonna be good or bad this friday.

I am expecting it to be pretty good.

360voice wrote: »

Good news Batman fans, Eidos today announced that the demo for their upcoming Batman: Arkham Asylum is coming this Friday, August 7th, on the Xbox Live Marketplace, PSN and is also available for Games For Windows (details are found on the official site on how to download the demo for GFW ... or will be).

What's in the demo you ask? Well Eidos tell us this ...

"The Batman: Arkham Asylum™ demo opens as the DARK KNIGHT and COMMISSIONER GORDON return The Joker back into confinement at ARKHAM ASYLUM. But things soon fall apart as THE JOKER gains the upper hand and springs a trap, setting Arkham Asylum’s occupants upon Batman. The demo offers gamers a taste of the fierce FreeFlow™ combat system, the cunning stealth of the Invisible Predator™ mechanic, and the feeling of becoming the WORLD’S GREATEST DETECTIVE as they navigate Arkham Asylum’s imposing Intensive Treatment facility. Players can unlock character bios, as well as get a sneak peak at some of the infamous foes that BATMAN will encounter within the cavernous and macabre confines of Arkham Asylum.

i have low expectations tbh

eidos would have no need to buy scores for a great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,228 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is there any difference between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game, content wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

is there any difference between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game, content wise?

The PS3 has one exclusive I think, you can play as The Joker on the challenge maps...Dunno if he will be released as DLC for the 360 at some stage.

Doesn't bother me anyways, as I am only interested in being Batman :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,228 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CKWPORT wrote: »
    The PS3 has one exclusive I think, you can play as The Joker on the challenge maps...Dunno if he will be released as DLC for the 360 at some stage.

Doesn't bother me anyways, as I am only interested in being Batman :D

grand - i'll probably get the PS3 version so. cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Its going to be good, if the Devs have the confidence to release a demo for a highly anticapated game then its probably a good sign, id say this has a chance of being one of the most downloaded Demo's ever on Live and PSN!

Advertisement