Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arkham Asylum Review

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

This is definitely Game of the Year for me so far.

It is the Batman game I have always wanted. Its perfect. I cant flaw it at all.

If your a fan of the comics and animated series (Which I am), its a massive plus, all the references to past events and villains from the comics is class. If your not a batman fan, some things could be missed, like the Hush and Calender Man references (to name 2). I'm sure no one will have any hassle finding them, but they'll be like who the **** is Hush?
    Also seeing Clayface's and Mr Freezes cells was class. Pity they aren't it as Bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

the scenes with the scarecrow when your in limbo RULE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

0ubliette wrote: »
    what do you get for the riddles? ive solved a few but i didnt see any rewards. Unless its the character bios and stuff.
    Its a good game alright but i think its been ridiculously overhyped. Ive seen people comparing it to HL2 & RE4, i mean come on. Its a highly polished beat em up, but its not something that completely breaks the mould like HL2.
    I guess not being a massive fan of batman im probably missing out on what other people are getting out of it tho. Im glad its not movie batman tho as i couldnt stand litening to more of christian bales hilarious bat-voice. Tho having said that the guy voicing batman i know he does the voice in the cartoon) but he really phones this performance in. The Joker really upstages him.
    So yeah good game, probably an 8/10

How can you give the game a score when you obviously haven't even come near to finishing it? I don't think it was over hyped in the slightest, definitely not as much hype as the big sequels get (MW2?). Its way more than a 'highly polished beat em up'. Its got stealth elements, puzzle solving, brilliant presentation and voice acting, slight rpg element with the upgrades, everything a game like this should have.
    A batman fan can probably appreciate the game more alright, but even if it wasn't a Batman game it would still be excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Anybody played both this and Ghostbusters? If you could only have one, which would it be? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Anybody played both this and Ghostbusters? If you could only have one, which would it be? :)
    This even though I do love ghostbusters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Without question, the game of the year so far across all consoles. Played it for 11 hours solid the other day and it would have been longer only the gf returned home. If I was single, I would have ordered a big pizza, a 2 litre coke and go on for another 6 hours. Spent a hour just figuring out a Riddler riddle and was delighted to do so.

It's been a while since I have enjoyed just exploring every little detail. I'm about 30% through it and I am already certain I will replay the game. The challenges are going to add months of gameplay too.

The atmosphere of the game is unparalled, from the setting of the asylum to
    Mark Hamills (Luke Skywalker from the original Star Wars) voice acting of the Joker which is the best I have ever heard in any game.

With the Gamestop offer on at the moment, you would be literally bonkers if you did not pick this up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

I was a massive ghostbuster fan as a kid, but Batman beats it hands down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have finished the main story and around 90% of the riddles, and for the most part I think it is a wonderful game - the whole game world,
    The Scarecrow bits which actually manage to make an interesting playable mechanic out of Batman's psychosis
    and the pure joy of playing as a fully rounded videogame representation of a well known character.

However, those last few moments are truly shocking.
    Joker injecting himself? Honestly, such a shame. I know it is a widely accepted notion that games need to end on a big boss battle (and this one was unusually easy), but to have the Joker do something that completely out of character is a sad way to see an otherwise excellent adaptation conclude.
    It isn't enough to ruin game or anything, but is a very limp conclusion to an otherwise finely tuned experience.

But otherwise a difficult game to fault. Will be going back to complete those addictive Riddler challenges (the question marks puzzles are fiendish bastards!), and I'd rarely if ever go back to collect such things in another game. Just goes to show the amount of thought put into the game for the most part. Without that ending
    and the irritating Ivy fight beforehand
    , it would easily have been a close to perfect Batman game (even the initially repetitive combat system improves as the game goes on). As it is though, it comes pretty damn close. Let's just hope there's a sequel in the pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

does anyone have a spare xbox live code i could have
    i really want to download the batman arkham asylum theme but it is exclusive to gold members and my gold membership just ran out the other day and i wont have the money to get another gold sub for a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

just finished it with all the riddlers challenges complete and i have to say i really enjoyed going around and finding them all, usually in a game where you have to find hidden items i find it boring and a bit of a choir.
    the scarecrow bits were some of the best bits in a game i've played in a longtime, walking down the hall and it changing into the ally where his parents were shot and i actually thought my 360 broke on the last scarecrow cutscene.
    great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

dunworth1 wrote: »
    does anyone have a spare xbox live code i could have
    i really want to download the batman arkham asylum theme but it is exclusive to gold members and my gold membership just ran out the other day and i wont have the money to get another gold sub for a few weeks

If its the Villians theme dont get to worried about not getting it! Its not premium so looks a bit pants to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

This even though I do love ghostbusters

+1 - Totally this one over Ghostbusters.

Anyone else get the Catch a Batarang achievment :) Just figured it out last night. Jeez they put a lot of sweet details into this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

surprised it only got 8/10 in xbox360 gamer mag

apparently the boss fight scenes are awful and let down an absolute fantastic game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Finally had a day off work today and cleared it on hard just there. A brilliant game. I'm really annoyed though that
    I didn't get the party pooper achievement! I thought they'd rush me at any second but they didn't. As soon as I was through the next door I tried to go back but couldn't. I reloaded the checkpoint when I realised what I had just missed but the last checkpoint was right after I went through the damn room!
    I was raging for a while there. More so because this is one game where I actually want to do everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Then play it again :)
    I'm going to replay it for sure, but I wanted to get the PC version to start with anyway, I'm just impatient. So i'lll get the PC version and replay it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,618 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just finished the game today and i loved it,one of my favourite games of the year,Im big fan of batman and this game does him justice,really the best super hero game iv ever played

I enjoyed it that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just got all the riddles. That was very enjoyable. I wish more developers did it that way, the way that you had maps to the secrets (and even with that, some were very tricky) and showed you how many left per area.

Now to finish the challenge rooms!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

chrislad wrote: »
    Just got all the riddles. That was very enjoyable. I wish more developers did it that way, the way that you had maps to the secrets (and even with that, some were very tricky) and showed you how many left per area.

Yeah got them all last night, only time I can remember going out of my way to collect stuff. The question mark ones are works of bloody genius (trying to find some of those dots....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I intended to stop playing it for today after clearing it but I just kept on going. Just got all of the riddles. There were some that took me an age. Some of the question mark ones as were already mentioned, but there were some embarressing ones too that were pure obvious that took me ages because I wasn't thinking straight. Having the maps is what made it a much more enjoyable experience. It would have been hell without them.

Has anyone made any serious damage at the challenges yet? How are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

One guy has a time of 28 secs on the first challenge. How the hell did he manage that? I call shenanigans.

Brill game though. Just have to find the last 3 Joker teeth and thats that done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

guys i have to say this is the ultimate superhero game! all take note- this is what spiderman superman etc should aspire to be!

AWESOME:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just did all the challenge rooms there. Great fun. Gonna go through a hard playthrough now. Excellent game they'd be stupid not to do a sequel but Arkham Asylum is just a perfect setting for this game. Don't think alot of the mechanics would work in a much more open game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I want them to do no man's land next, allowing a sort of restriction to remain and to bring in the villians that were only hinted this time (two face, penguin, mr freeze and clayface etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

LD 50 wrote: »
    One guy has a time of 28 secs on the first challenge. How the hell did he manage that? I call shenanigans.

Brill game though. Just have to find the last 3 Joker teeth and thats that done.

Did you get the ones in the Mansion, on the second floor in the room just before the wardens office?

Those drove me mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I want them to do no man's land next, allowing a sort of restriction to remain and to bring in the villians that were only hinted this time (two face, penguin, mr freeze and clayface etc)

An Excellent idea, while I didn't like No Mans Land at all in the comics, it would be a great setting for another Batman game.

I just finished it last night, what a game, its was brilliant. Did anyone go for the Party Pooper Achievement? I found the last few fights tough, not looking forward to them on Hard.

I have 8 Riddles left to get.

And I started the 1st Challenge room, have to say it was way harder than expected...Easy to finish the room, but to get a medal seems really hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Played the demo and wasn't overly impressed I have to say. Was ok, combat seemed very like like Assassains Creed, which while amusing for 30 mins, became quite repetitive after a while. Wasn't really pushed on picking this up at launch.

Picked up the game after reading the comments here more than the review scores. Bloody hell what a game! Honest to god the best game I've played in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

At Dead Man's Point when Batman says
    "I saved a man from death here and found this cave" Do you think he was the man about to kill himself? The way he falls looks like he plunging to death when he goes down.

I think No Mans Land would be a good Idea, Infamous for the ps3 kinda robbed that idea first though. Dont know if id like a sandbox enviorment for a sequal. Maybe something like Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory that brings you to diffrent locations to solve a mystery as Batman possibly involving superman, artic fortress of solitude level FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Despite getting the game on Thursday night I only got to play it lasst night.

Anyway regarding a sequel: 4-player multiplayer.
    Batman, Robin, Batgirl & Nightwing.
    No Damien though, that'd make it overly complicated storywise.

Advertisement