Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Newbie advice

• 27-07-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭

Living in West Waterford, just bought a GREYS BZE BASS ROD 11' 9" and PENN SURFMASTER 750 Reel..

Planning to use Maria BW lures, but quick question...

Do I need to use a steel trace from the lure to the leader??

Using 20lb mono backing, 30lb braid and 30ft 20lb mono leader.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i presume its for bass fishing!!

then no .. no need for wire trace..

and the leader is too long in my opinion...

i use 20lbs braid with 15lbs leader and only have about 2foot leader at that,

if its pike fishing then you'll need either wire trace or heavy mono..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Thanks very much, yeah it's for Bass fishing..

I put on 30ft of leader for the simple reason that if I was playing a fish, I would play it on the mono leader and my knot that's joining both the braid and mono would be on the real, thus avoiding the chance of breakage..

I hope you are not confused...

So no trace needed is fine, one more question....

Would I need a swivel between lure and leader?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ian 123

Hi man, Steve is right, that leader is too long. I use a leader of 3 foot and it seems fine. You dont need swivels and I wouldnt recommend the lure clips. Tie this knot with your lure http://www.southernbass.com.au/useful_tips/lefty_kreh_loop_knot.htm

Hope this helps, The maria chase is an awesome lure btw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Great advice lads, I will make changes to the leader tonight..

Tight Lines

Advertisement