Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religon & Schools

Options
  • 27-07-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

OK - i know i'm talking about years down the line here but as myself and hubby have decided to try for a family the thought of a christenings has been on my mind. Neither of us are any way religious but were both brought up as catholics and were married in a church. Only attend mass on a need to basis (weddings, funerals, anniversary masses)... so my question what possible problems does it cause for a child/parents if the child is not baptised under the catholic church for school events such as communion and confirmation. We are of no religon i suppose and i don't know if i could or want to my child christened just for the sake of him/her being "accepted" in a catholic school and/or being part of communion/confirmations?

What is the alternative to catholisism in ireland nowadays for a young family?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

kassie wrote: »

What is the alternative to catholisism in ireland nowadays for a young family?

Realism :P

We've not had ours baptised and never would. No hassles for us. Gone the Educate Together route and couldn't be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Neither of mine are baptised and are in the local catholic school ( wasn't a E.T. school in reasonable walking distance ) them not making thire holy communion wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

When my lads made their communion there were a few children in each of their classes that didn't make their communion. It wasn't an issue for the non-catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I was sent to a local protestant school even though I was baptised Catholic. Even though the school was protestant the majority of pupils were catholic and made their communion. The only issue I had with it was not getting free money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Whats "Educate Together"?

Did your children not wonder why they were not part of communion? God my mother would shoot me if she thought i was thinking of not having my kid(s) baptised :eek:

• Advertisement

http://www.educatetogether.ie/
    troduction

Educate Together is the representative organisation of the Educate Together schools and associations throughout the Republic of Ireland. It owes its origins to the movement to establish new multi-denominational primary schools, which emerged in the late 1970s and early 1980s. By 1984, when Educate Together was established, there were three schools and the organisation acted as their co-ordinating body. Since then the movement has grown considerably.

Today there are 56 schools, 26 of which are in the greater Dublin area. The organisation became a company limited by guarantee in 1998 and has charitable status. It has a small national office which provides representative and support services to existing schools and Start Up groups. The Directors and members of the company work in a voluntary capacity.

Educate Together aims to meet a growing need in Irish society for schools that recognise the developing diversity of Irish life and the modern need for democratic management structures. In particular, Educate Together guarantees children and parents of all faiths and none equal respect in the operation and governing of education.

The schools operated by the member associations of Educate Together are fully recognised by the Irish Department of Education and Science and work under the same regulations and funding structures as other national schools. However, they have a distinct ethos or governing spirit. This has been defined in the following terms:

* Multi-denominational i.e. all children having equal rights of access to the school, and children of all social, cultural and religious backgrounds being equally respected
    * Co-educational and committed to encouraging all children to explore their full range of abilities and opportunities,
    * Child centred in their approach to education
    * Democratically run with active participation by parents in the daily life of the school, whilst positively affirming the professional role of the teachers

No my children did not wonder why they were being left out as I had already explained to them that they are free to choose what religion they want to be when they are older. They were given the option if they wanted of getting baptised if they wanted that year and both choose not to.

We went on the day and watched those who were making their communion do so in the local church and they had pictures taken with the class. They were not the only child in their class not do be under going those rites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i got my daughter christened, i am not religious an any way, shape or form.
    i debated for a long time wether or not to get her christened (over a year) and in the end i did. i did it because we live in a village and i cant imagine any other children in her class being non-catholic, so i didnt want her to be left out when it comes to communion time. to be quite honest i dont know how i'm going to react when she has prayers drilled into her head in school. i think i'm just going to wait and see what happens, maybe find out if theres any non-catholic kids in her class, if so i will possibly mention to the teacher about my feelings on the subject of religion.
    at the end of the day, i just want my daughter to be happy, and not feel uncomfortably different, i'll make it clear to her that i dont believe in certain things and that its ok to believe what she wants.
    i'm a lone parent and my princess is my only child, starting school in sept, i'm not goin to get everything right, i'm just gonna go with the flow i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

kassie wrote: »
    Whats "Educate Together"?

Did your children not wonder why they were not part of communion? God my mother would shoot me if she thought i was thinking of not having my kid(s) baptised :eek:

I got severe pressure put on me by both sets of parents and my husband to have my first child baptised. I got all the "he won't be allowed into school, he'll be a pagan, he'll be this and that" so I agreed on the basis that seeing as my husband was all for it that he would be the one attending Church, Confessions etc., etc., with our son. I stuck to my part of the bargain and the hubby didn't stick to his.

And when my mother is moaning about someone or something I get in there with "That's not a very Christian way of going on - is it?" (drives her mad).

We have since had more children and they have not been baptized - they are attending school and they haven't grown horns. As for the part of the Communion Day - I heard of somebody who bought a pretty dress out of Dunnes for their daughter and brought her for a meal on the day the other children were making the communion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭acmj2007

go and visit local schools in your area, maybe wait until oct, as Sept is a busy month in schools!;)
    I think then you will get the best feel for what suits you and your family, ET schools are not yet in every location, so it may not be an option for you?

I don't think nowadays it's a necessity for your child to be baptized in the RC faith. Children from other cultures and belief systems attend our local Catholic Schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Our son went through all of this malarkey simply because we didn't want him to miss out on the "good stuff" of communion. Personally I think it's a load of bollox and may of possibly stepped in and stopped it all but I saw no reason too... He's quite happy to not be involved in anything religious and is well old enough now to decide whether he wants to get involved or not... and happily he's choosing to NOT be involved with religion!

deelite wrote: »
    I don't think nowadays it's a necessity for your child to be baptized in the RC faith. Children from other cultures and belief systems attend our local Catholic Schools.

Yes such children to attend the local schools which have a catholic ethos and are patron by the catholic church but and this is where the system is frankly fcuked up, if there are 60 places and over 60 children looking to enroll in the school the school can and will give first preference to
    children baptised catholic in the parish
    children baptised catholic outside the parish
    children baptised into another christian demonination
    children who are classed as being of no religion or 'other'.

Where there are places to be filled then it's not a problem and as the school is funded it's running cost in a grant per child they will want all the places filled but where the only local school is the catholic school ( which is the case for just about 90% of all primary schools in the country ) and there is a shortage of places it becomes an issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My daughter was baptised, but only because her mother (and the rest of our families) are nominally catholic.

Probably wouldn't have been otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

we didnt baptise ours. Funny story , My wife has told our 4 year old that when you die thats it , my mother told him you go heaven and his other Grandmother tells him that he will be reincarnated (dont ask) , he's going with reincarnation for now:D . He will be starting school this year which I dont think has much of a religious ethos. From my point of view I think its important to do as you say as far as your kids are concerned , if you are active christians thats fine but otherwise be in or be out, raising your kids with mixed messages would seem odd to me

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes such children to attend the local schools which have a catholic ethos and are patron by the catholic church but and this is where the system is frankly fcuked up, if there are 60 places and over 60 children looking to enroll in the school the school can and will give first preference to
    children baptised catholic in the parish
    children baptised catholic outside the parish
    children baptised into another christian demonination
    children who are classed as being of no religion or 'other'.

Where there are places to be filled then it's not a problem and as the school is funded it's running cost in a grant per child they will want all the places filled but where the only local school is the catholic school ( which is the case for just about 90% of all primary schools in the country ) and there is a shortage of places it becomes an issue.

Where does the "Catchment" card come into play then? And does the Catholic Church issue the "grant" themselves?

Where does the "Catchment" card come into play
    then?

The catchment area is pretty much the old parish boundaries.
    And does the Catholic Church issue the "grant" themselves?

No the Dept of Education pays a grant per child for the running of the school to the school board of management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lillybelle01

i christened my child because of pressure from his grand parents and father. I regret doing this now i feel hypocritical i do not believe in any kind of organised religion. its odd because neither his grandparents or father practice their religion. I did it to keep the peace. I will be sending my child to catholic school as its closest to our home and i will give him the choice as to whether he wishes to practice this faith or not. I will not be forcing it down his throat. I think it is ridiculous that the school system is still being dictated to by Catholicism

If he is enrolled as catholic he will be expected to take part in religions education and instruction in the class room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lillybelle01

can i with draw him from these classes? I really don't want him to have religion shoved down his throat at a young age its like brain washing!!!! thought i was doing the right thing to keep the peace now i'm not so sure!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

In the majority of school there is no way to removed the child from the class as there is not enough supervision. Mine are still in the class room during religious education and instruction time but usually reading or doing some other assigned task and are not expected to take part and there are still the prayers at the start and end of the school day and grace before and after lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

Isnt it a part of the catholic marriage ceremony where you agree to bring any children up in the RC faith?

Advertisement