Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Dublin

Options
  • 27-07-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Ikea opened their doors for the first time this morning in Dublin just off the M50 near the airport.

Drove past it a couple of times and it is a very big warehouse with a big parking lot.

will there be big fanatics there every week ?

is it worth the while even going at all ?

Are you going ? 104 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    63% 66 votes
    I would but I live too far away.
    22% 23 votes
    whats Ikea ???
    14% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Id say wait a few weeks till the hype dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to Dublin City from Bargain Alerts.

Mods, feel free to move elsewhere - was torn between here and 'Consumer Issues' but since it's not specifically an issue, I decided on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Interviewed someone on the radio this morning, i couldn't believe it when she said she was queuing since yesterday :eek:

I will defo go see it, but wont have any rush in doing it, the flat packs will still be there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Oh, IKEA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

im going to go at some point. but no mad panic. its a big shop nothing ground breaking. it would be like queuing overnight to get into a new argos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was there last week for the friends and family day so had a chance to have a good look around without too much craziness. It's grand, it's big and the stuff is reasonably priced. I don't understand why it seems to polarize people, they seem to either love or hate it which is very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Some of the furniture design and engineering is very impressive, their storage systems are great and the kids stuff is good. It's probably unfashionable to like them right now, bit like U2.

I don't know why the other thread was put in to the Dublin forum from afterhours, the store is for everyone in the country, in fact it might have been better to locate it on the outskirts of Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

lightening wrote: »
    I don't know why the other thread was put in to the Dublin forum from afterhours, the store is for everyone in the country, in fact it might have been better to locate it on the outskirts of Athlone.
    Yeh i know ...ye cant win. If i had posted it here no doubt you'd have some country folk askin why i think only Dublin people want to go. Ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

lightening wrote: »
    Some of the furniture design and engineering is very impressive, their storage systems are great and the kids stuff is good. It's probably unfashionable to like them right now, bit like U2.

this thread was originally put in bargain alerts

stupid to move it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

basquille wrote: »
    Moved to Dublin City from Bargain Alerts.

Mods, feel free to move elsewhere - was torn between here and 'Consumer Issues' but since it's not specifically an issue, I decided on here.
    Maybe the Fingal forum would have been better, if we had one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cronos wrote: »
    it would be like queuing overnight to get into a new argos.
    100% agree!

One man interviewed this morning described it as a "great day out". With all there is to do in Dublin, I think it sad in the extreme that anyone would think queuing to get into a shop is a great day out! :eek:

(I also think that out national broadcaster have given this private company far too much publicity).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I really don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ikea?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Im happy theres an IKEA in Ireland as well now! It is a really good store! I havent been there yet but from what I heard everyone is buying their furniture there. So I might as well go down from Sligo some day and check out what I am in need of! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Janine87 wrote: »
    Im happy theres an IKEA in Ireland as well now! It is a really good store! I havent been there yet but from what I heard everyone is buying their furniture there. So I might as well go down from Sligo some day and check out what I am in need of! ;)

you'd be better going to belfast - cheaper

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A quick look at the UK prices shows how wrong you are. The Dublin shop knows its only real competition at the moment is the Belfast shop so why price yourself out of the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Excellent shop. The one in Belfast is the bollox to be fair. I voted no as I'm not going while all the idiots are scrambling to spend the little money they have, when they die down I will head up for a nosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 barby_

You don't even know what you are talking about!!!!
    IKEA is the SHOP ever!!! You will find everything you need and everything you do not need in there!!!! It's fascinating, you will not get out with empty hands!
    I used to go there once a month, when I was in Italy. It is massive!
    I am very happy they finally opened it in Dublin!
    They should have done that before though, when there was still no sign of recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Is there much more there than is on the ikea.ie website? Cos theres not much on there im interested in at all, but I could use a twin bed.. is it worth trekking over there?

nm wrote: »
    Is there much more there than is on the ikea.ie website? Cos theres not much on there im interested in at all, but I could use a twin bed.. is it worth trekking over there?

One thing about the beds, i think all the beds are odd sizes so you need to get bed linen from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Davy wrote: »
    One thing about the beds, i think all the beds are odd sizes so you need to get bed linen from them.

This was true for me - bought bed in Belfast and had to go back a few months later to get linen that would fit. This is more to do with the depth of the bed, including extra top cushion, than the length or width.

Ikea is brilliant, the only way to fully kit out a new apartment with fairly nice stuff for under €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i'm badly in need of storage for the kids rooms and a bed for us so we'll be heading up for a mooch in a few weeks when the crazy dies down... might combine it with a zoo trip though, it's a long haul from mayo to dublin just for flat pack furniture :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Nope, most of the IKEA items are cheaper in Dublin, so why spend the pertrol and currency conversion fees?

Their beds are standard size. We bought a bed in Belfast and found it no different to any other bed size. Also, their catalog confirms this.

So much hype about this store, it's a bit OTT imho.
    The level of hype is matched only by the amount of misinformation being bandied about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Can somebody who's been to Ballymun Ikea tell me -

1. Do I have to pay for parking and how much - (I'm only going to go for a gander)

2. The creche there how much do they charge for that per hour - or visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

deelite wrote: »
    Can somebody who's been to Ballymun Ikea tell me -

1. Do I have to pay for parking and how much - (I'm only going to go for a gander)

2. The creche there how much do they charge for that per hour - or visit?

According to an interview with the store manager on the radio yesterday:

1. €3 between 4 and 8 pm.

2. No

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

pithater1 wrote: »
    According to an interview with the store manager on the radio yesterday:

1. €3 between 4 and 8 pm.

2. No

Popped in for 45mins on the way home from work earlier, round 6pm just becuase I'd nothing better to do. It's fooking massive, but the traffic was grand and the parking free despite the above.

As for the creche, as i waled around there was a rather urgent sounding PA calling out that there was a "Code 99 in Smaland" (which is the creche). Wonder what that's the code for (baby with head trapped in door methinks)...:pac:

Some definite bargains in furniture, even to the eye of a lad :P

sdonn wrote: »
    Popped in for 45mins on the way home from work earlier, round 6pm just becuase I'd nothing better to do. It's fooking massive, but the traffic was grand and the parking free despite the above.

Some definite bargains in furniture, even to the eye of a lad :P

Did you come out empty handed? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Did you come out empty handed? :pac:

I'm a 20 year old student with no money and furniture ain't my forte unless im in dire need. And there were security everywhere (seriously!).

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

good so i get bed linen there for super king size bed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

PinkTulips wrote: »
    i'm badly in need of storage for the kids rooms and a bed for us

The place is made for the likes of you PinkTulips. You might want a van though, some of the flat pack stuff can be pretty long, a bed could be sticking out of a normal saloon.

Advertisement