Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Lucan?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I was looking at buying a house in the Lucan area next year sometime. Will be a first time buyer and will have a price range from 250,000 maybe stretching up as far as 300,000. There seems to be plenty of nice 3 bed houses in that price range with en-suites, nice room sizes etc however I don't know the area very well. A friend of mine lives in griffeen glen grove, took me for a quick spin around the area on saturday and showed me a couple of the estates I was looking at. Rossberry and Esker seem like nice areas. Hoping to be along the 25a or 151 route. Huge area though so any advice on where to check out or where to stay away from would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I lived in Griffeen Glen before, however depending on where you are working, the commute can be a b****. Esker is very close to social housing, if memory serves me correctly. I would also stay away from Adamstown, as from a couple of things I have read, reckon over the next year or two there could a legal case there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The whole area surrounding Griffeen Glen is fine. The 25A service is great albeit 10-15 minutes shorter if you are closer to the N4. Overall the commute has dramatically shortened with the road improvements with the ORR and th eM50 flyover. I made heuston in 25 minutes driving in rush hour. Kishogue railway station must be opening shortly also which makes rail travel accessible for the griffeen area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bradshawfella

thanks for the advice, any opinions on larkfield or rossberry estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

I made heuston in 25 minutes driving in rush hour.
    Was that a "rush hour" recently cos I've been setting records all month. :P
    We're all going on a...summer holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hi,

I was looking at buying a house in the Lucan area next year sometime. Will be a first time buyer and will have a price range from 250,000 maybe stretching up as far as 300,000. There seems to be plenty of nice 3 bed houses in that price range with en-suites, nice room sizes etc however I don't know the area very well. A friend of mine lives in griffeen glen grove, took me for a quick spin around the area on saturday and showed me a couple of the estates I was looking at. Rossberry and Esker seem like nice areas. Hoping to be along the 25a or 151 route. Huge area though so any advice on where to check out or where to stay away from would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Mark

You know prices in Lucan are freefalling at the moment right?

I don't know your circumstances but more than likely you would save yourself a very tidy sum even if you hang on 6 mths or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

If your budget could stretch I would look closer to Lucan village - Esker Lawns, Hillcrest, Woodview, Beech Park. Much better location imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

I always have a problem on this site with people saying all house prices are going to go down the same amount. So no matter where the house is it will drop 20% or so. The reality is some house prices will fall a lot, some will fall a little, some will stay the same and some will rise.

Lucan 3 bed houses however, fall into the category of junk. These are going to drop a huge amount more. Friends of mine bought in Finnstown in 1996 for £65,000 or about €85,000. Inflation in the mean time, means the house should have gone up 60%. Even including wage inflation it is hard to see the property being worth more than €170,000 (ie 100% growth). However in Lucan it is even worse than that. There is a huge amount of 3 bedroom houses on sale in Lucan & Adamstown and very little demand. Very few people aspire to live in Lucan. Add to all that, the traffic problems, poor facilities and a large population entering teenage years and prices here are majorly overvalued. It would be reasonable to expect average 3 bed houses in Lucan to fall well below €200,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

Hi

I live in Esker Woods in Lucan. We only rent but the estate we live in is lovely and all the neighbours are really friendly. Its about a 10 minute walk to the 25A bus stop.
    The house we rent is a good sized three bed semi. There is a house for sale in our estate at the moment for €370,000. I don't know where they are going asking for that much because there was no way the houses where worth that even in 2005.
    I have seen good sized 4 beds for €250-€300K in not so nice parts of Lucan. One the Clondalkin/Lucan border.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Kew Park (on the Leixlip off-ramp of the N4 past the Spa Hotel outbound)- 3 bed for 335k (probably available for less).

Here and here

I'd seriously promote the old Lucan estates- they are all reasonably close to public transport (more often the 66/67 bus routes than the 25)- very well built and close to all available facilities and amenities. Note: Old Lucan is far better from a catchment perspective if you have or plan on having children and might be looking for school places.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One thing to bear in mind about Kew park is that you'll have to walk along the path next to the duel carraigeway to get to any shops.

http://www.daft.ie/1411734 €295,000 looks nicely secluded. From looking at the aerial maps at bing.com, it looks like there is a primary school 5 minutes down the road. Tescos (where there is a newsagents, pizza place, and chemist) is nearby, as is a Spar a bit closer.

http://www.daft.ie/1414005 €270,000 at Woodview Height is also near to the school, and nearer to Tescos, etc.

The 25 bus goes from nearby both places.

=-=

I looked for the houses using the daft.ie "map view", and then used bing.com to look at the area. Use the "Bird's Eye" button to really zoom in.

The only thing that is out of date with the map is that the N4 duel carraigeway now has a brick wall in the middle, with no way of getting over it.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    The only thing that is out of date with the map is that the N4 duel carraigeway now has a brick wall in the middle, with no way of getting over it.

There is also a slip lane with bollards the whole way almost as far back as the NewCastle junction- to the Leixlip junction. You take a turn-off for the Spa Hotel/Kew Park/MyCoy Motors etc almost 500m before you get there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

smccarrick wrote: »
    There is also a slip lane with bollards the whole way almost as far back as the NewCastle junction- to the Leixlip junction. You take a turn-off for the Spa Hotel/Kew Park/MyCoy Motors etc almost 500m before you get there at all.
    Aye, forgot about that one:o Still, I've seen a lot of people using it as a rat run when the traffic on the "main" part of the duel carraigeway is slowed down.

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye, forgot about that one:o Still, I've seen a lot of people using it as a rat run when the traffic on the "main" part of the duel carraigeway is slowed down.

I think you may find a few dangerous driving points being given out (as soon as the camera there is put back into action again- but possibly sooner). The Gardai in Lucan certainly know their stuff when it comes to enforcement of the traffic laws.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AudiSline

I have friends in Esker and its a really nice estate. Most places around Lucan I think are a fairly safe bet and there's lots of parks & facilities in the area.

There is a website called Lucan Connect.com and it has a good listing of schools buses and things to do in Lucan. www.lucanconnect.com .

Advertisement