Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lock build / rotation issue

Options
  • 27-07-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

So my first char was a lock, and I love the class, but am finding it hard to have a bit of an all rounder build atm.

Armory link is below to have a look at my gear etc.
    THe problem I have is that am hittin bout 3k-3.5k in hc raids and bout 2700 in 10mans. But if i try a regular hc, im pushin to get 1700!

Is it me or are lock builds nearly specific to every scenario, as opposed to havin a nice alll rounder build (apart from PvP)

Rotation at the moment is:

CoA, Imm, Conflag, inc, inc, CB, conflag.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellfire&n=Audiumata

any info or ideas appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

hi
    first i would change the meta gem to chaotic skyflare diamond and dont use coA use doom or cos
    and dps will depend on buffs u get from other classes eg moonkin 5%crit, shaman totems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

hi
    first i would change the meta gem to chaotic skyflare diamond and dont use coA use doom or cos
    and dps will depend on buffs u get from other classes eg moonkin 5%crit, shaman totems etc.
    doom is fine for raid bosses, but thats about it....literally....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Einstein wrote: »
    doom is fine for raid bosses, but thats about it....literally....

have to agree fully .

on any boss in a 5 man hc i find best rotation is

coe immo conf chaos bolt incin untill immo is needed and repeat

but you wont do feck all damage compaired to everyone else because it takes to long to get the spell out . boss's is where you should make up the damage .

you could just rain of fire if its a dk tank #

if you want to be doing more dmg in 5 mans get into some with crappy dps

but im doing 4-5k dmg now with my build with my lock in 10 mans and 25 mans is simular

currently using the 0-13-58 build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

elexes wrote: »
    but you wont do feck all damage compaired to everyone else because it takes to long to get the spell out . boss's is where you should make up the damage

Your kidding right? a warlock has so much burst that if they dont top the meter on trash they are either being really out-geared or cant play.

For trash ( Immo -> conflag -> Chaos -> Incin -> Dead ) 30k damage in 6 seconds with your gear is my guess. If he doesnt die just spam incin till he does. Dont waste your time with silly curses unless its a boss in which case go with coe.

You also have WAY more hit than you need. and when i say WAY, i mean that you have 4.5% more hit than whats needed in a 25 man raid assuming you got a sp in the group. As for heroics you have 15.55% more hit than you need. get rid of the hit gems and try to relax hit elsewhere such as your trinket. for gems go for +19 spell power where socket bonus doesnt matter. where there is a nice bonus from a blue socket go with the spell pwr / spirit gems, where there is a nice bonus from a yellow socket, go for the spell pwr / haste.

Get a proper head and shoulder enchant, even the ones from WG will do.

Enchant your cloak with haste, your boots with icewalker and change your leg enchant to the spirit one.

Change your glyph of life tap to the incinerate glyph.

Change your spec to take one point out of fel synergy and grab soul link, take 1 point from destructive reach and take shadowfury, taking away the talents you had wont change much but soul link and shadowfury will save your ass countless times.

Change the meta to the 3% more crit damage one.

Make these changes and I assure you, you will see a BIG change.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Ok, quick slightly off topic question, but since you're talking locks.
    Im a noob, playing lock, do I need to worry too much in future about opponents casting crippling silence type spells to stop my magick abilities? Do I need to be heavily geared for hand to hand combat as a stop gap measure?

• Advertisement

smithcity wrote: »
    Ok, quick slightly off topic question, but since you're talking locks.
    Im a noob, playing lock, do I need to worry too much in future about opponents casting crippling silence type spells to stop my magick abilities? Do I need to be heavily geared for hand to hand combat as a stop gap measure?

You should always have at least 5 items with strength/agility stats and you should of course have max unarmed skill in case a rogue or warrior dissarms you and you have to hit him without your weapon it goes without saying.

Thanks, it's good to get any advice I can while I'm still early in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

smithcity wrote: »
    Thanks, it's good to get any advice I can while I'm still early in the game.

He was joking! U dnt need to worry about melee u shudnt ever have to use it :-P

im pretty sure he was joking too :D<3

oh yeah. *cough* I totally knew that. *cough cough* I was like... being like... sarcastic or whatever.
    Shyeah, like you knoooow whateverrrr.

Im new, leave me alone. *sulks*

I thanked you man!!! I officialy thanked you!

• Advertisement

oh, well as magicianz said youll only be hitting stuff up close the first 10 level but some ppl get the weapon skill for the achievements.

I don't know what to believe anymore...

I'm in too deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Psycopat wrote: »
    Your kidding right? a warlock has so much burst that if they dont top the meter on trash they are either being really out-geared or cant play.

For trash ( Immo -> conflag -> Chaos -> Incin -> Dead ) 30k damage in 6 seconds with your gear is my guess. If he doesnt die just spam incin till he does. Dont waste your time with silly curses unless its a boss in which case go with coe.

You also have WAY more hit than you need. and when i say WAY, i mean that you have 4.5% more hit than whats needed in a 25 man raid assuming you got a sp in the group. As for heroics you have 15.55% more hit than you need. get rid of the hit gems and try to relax hit elsewhere such as your trinket. for gems go for +19 spell power where socket bonus doesnt matter. where there is a nice bonus from a blue socket go with the spell pwr / spirit gems, where there is a nice bonus from a yellow socket, go for the spell pwr / haste.

Get a proper head and shoulder enchant, even the ones from WG will do.

Enchant your cloak with haste, your boots with icewalker and change your leg enchant to the spirit one.

Change your glyph of life tap to the incinerate glyph.

Change your spec to take one point out of fel synergy and grab soul link, take 1 point from destructive reach and take shadowfury, taking away the talents you had wont change much but soul link and shadowfury will save your ass countless times.

Change the meta to the 3% more crit damage one.

Make these changes and I assure you, you will see a BIG change.
    Cheers dude,

Have done some of those so far except regem...and am already noticing a difference on the training dummies...3200 without any raid buffs...w00t!

Now we gettin somewhere!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

Yeah dont do everything he says... in most 10/25 man raids you should have either a SP or balance druid. So thats 3% off the requirement + your spec'd for 3 HR + you alliance so thats another 1% from heroic presence. Means you only need 10% HR from gear to be hit capped on raid bosses.

So really your 5.5% over capped, You'll probably find it hard to dropped your HR the 262 you need, so best you can do is just gem full SP, i think you need 1 or 2 blue gems for the crit meta tho, not sure, after that just pickup more gear and mix match until you've got a nice balance.

- DONT change your cloak enchant lol, its by far the best enchant in the game for casters.

- Probably better if you get the 18spirit on boots for now, think its cheaper and you'll get more out of it until your HR is down abit

- Get your lifetap glyph back as its actually the best glyph for pve locks atm.... in the patch it'll be alot easier to keep the buff up as its getting buffed so it lasts 60 secs i think. (use rank 1 lifetap in the beginning of the fight )

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kazzak&n=Saiyaman

Just copy my desto build, shadowfury is actually really handy because when you start to outgear your tank, you'll find yourself pulling aggro like a ****er. So you can just stun and nuke dead before they reach you (Trash anyway ;) )

Rotation, CoE/CoD if you have a moonkin or another lock, immolate / chaosbolt / conflag / inc / inc, then just keep chaosbolt + conflag off cooldown. Have your imp out always (PVE anyway)

magilly wrote: »
    So really your 5.5% over capped, You'll probably find it hard to dropped your HR the 262 you need, so best you can do is just gem full SP, i think you need 1 or 2 blue gems for the crit meta tho, not sure, after that just pickup more gear and mix match until you've got a nice balance.

Didnt see he was alliance so missed the 1% hit. All the more reason to get rid of more hit.
    - DONT change your cloak enchant lol, its by far the best enchant in the game for casters.

When I wrote my piece he had no cloak enchant and I didnt see he was a tailor.
    - Probably better if you get the 18spirit on boots for now, think its cheaper and you'll get more out of it until your HR is down abit

True, but icewalker is a much better enchant and im sure you can relax enough hit for it to be a viable enchant. You still have 3 +hit gems and that hit trink could really use a replace. Also im not sure how cheap 18 spirit is but icewalker costs like 20g.
    - Get your lifetap glyph back as its actually the best glyph for pve locks atm.... in the patch it'll be alot easier to keep the buff up as its getting buffed so it lasts 60 secs i think. (use rank 1 lifetap in the beginning of the fight )

This is simply not true, you will never remember/need to to keep the life tap glyph up 100% of the time so you will see a lot more damage with the incin glyph unless you have ridiculous amounts of spirit, because your spamming incin and there should be no reason for you to life tap every 20 second unless no one in the raid has replenishment or you have a god aweful mana pool. They are changing life tap to last 40 seconds instead of the current 20 seconds (which is making me think about using it in pvp), when they make that change i think yeah it will be worthwhile but at the moment it just doesnt make sense to waste a valuable GCD every 20 seconds when you could be getting an extra 5% damage out of your most used spell.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jaedenar&n=Psycopat is mine as we're flashing our armorys. I prefer my spec because it gives me and my pet more mana and stamina and 2 points in fel synery is not really needed, 1 is sufficient because the imp rarely dies, in fact the only places he does seem to die are mimiron hard mode where he gets owned by the fires or algalon because of too much raid damage for him too handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

..... snore.... everything i said is correct, potientally lifetap is a better glpyh... FACT (Lifetap, on average will increase your overall dps by 3-4% with a 70-80% uptime, this is with the average 500-700 spirit you will have raidbuffed. Inc = usually 40% of overall dmg, 5% increase to 40% overall dmg = about 2% dps increase.)

I guess its probably better to go inc if your new to raiding or if you just cant be arsed tracking the buff tho(there is so much moving and target switching in ulduar that its almost a waste not to lifetap when your doing either so that you dont have to while your casting). downranking is still a locks friend :).

This thread was for advice that would benefit him, icewalker is NOT a better enchant for him as he has obviously got far too much HR(notice how i said "its better for NOW")... like we both said. Its also all well and good saying "Replace your trinket lulz" its just never that easy :D I should know.

Anyway i guess do everything i said, maybe keep the inc glyph now until the patch or something. Your spec is fine, you wont gain any dps, but if you want just take the 2 out of soulleech and put em in shadowfury(It is such a handy spell) and destructive reach. And gem like psyconap said.

Meh, armory the top guilds in the world and look at their warlocks glyphs, you'll see im right magilnap.... As for the trinket just do WG a few times and get the 111 spell power trinket its a lot better and so easy to obtain. If you cant be arsed getting badges there is a 111 spell pwr trink from honor, its 50k or something like that. You can relax hit on you neck by getting http://thottbot.com/i42647 for like 200g or w/e it is on your server. Those gems you have equal 32 hit you dont need. So after 3 simple changes you've suddenly lost 130 hit in favor of other stats so dont say, "its just never that easy to replace gear I should know", it is if you know where to get it. http://thottbot.com/i40723 is a nice back for 25 valors which will get rid of another 28 hit if you get it.

Advertisement