Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Hot Water Tap

Options
  • 27-07-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

In my bathroom I have separate Hot and Cold water taps. It is a standard style tap.

The Hot one has become stuck. It will only turn one full revolution before sticking and only a trickle is coming out.

Can I repair this without turning the water off to the hot part?

Any one seen something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It sounds like the tap reviver the brass bit under the chrome has worn. It could just be the washer it could be the hole reviver. The size of the job depends on the level of wear. The water will have to be turned off but the system will not need to be emptied.

This is a job that is handy to do but if your not confident get a plumber

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080311145405AAIZqCx

Its a common problem especially on the hot tap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Keep turning it open and closed, applying a bit more pressure each time to "open". It's often possible to work them loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

boccy23 wrote: »
    In my bathroom I have separate Hot and Cold water taps. It is a standard style tap.

The Hot one has become stuck. It will only turn one full revolution before sticking and only a trickle is coming out.

Can I repair this without turning the water off to the hot part?

Any one seen something similar?

Its a common problem with hot taps, the tap rubber seal has become brittle and worn from the heat, as the seal becomes worn you tend to tighten the tap harder to close, more and more over time. This excessive tightening over a period of time can mess up the threads on the taps spindle, which causes the sticking as you mentioned, also if your experiencing hard water (limescale) this will also be included in the tap sticking.

Its handy enough to repair once you have the right tools, you will need to turn off the hot water supply. If your tap is a traditional 1/2" tap you will find replacement tap internals which will match most traditional style taps. If the tap is different than traditional you can purchase a tap internal with some extra plastic seals to make up the difference in seal size, called adapta tap internals, replacement heads included. All available in good plumbing supply shops.

Advertisement