Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powerplates - any good?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi there, anyone ever used a vibro/powerplate? I just hired one from toneathome.ie and am going to start using tonight. I'm wondering if anyone has had success wtih them and if so, any tips for trying to get my waist back (I had a baby a few months ago!) i'm bridesmaid in 3 months and just feel mortified in the dress, so i'm praying this will help me lose inches.

any inspirational tales or tips would be appreciated!! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

Well since you already have hired one I cant exactly put you off it lol, since you have it you might as well use it properly, basically the vibrations in the plate will stimulate the muscle fibers to contract and relax VERY quickly every second. So you do burn calories. Try doing exercises on the powerplate that are dynamic, for example: squats, lunges, press ups, dips etc, If you have free weights you can do shoulder presses, lateral raises, shrugs etc while standing or while performing squats for an increase in overall fat loss. If ya youtube the exercises you will prob get a good video demonstration if you are unsure. Hope this helped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubcookie

oh thanks! i will look up youtube and get some tips to make the best use of it. nothing else seems to get rid of the baby belly!! thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Simple answer: No.

Price/results ratio compared to just about any other form of exercise is dire. In fact, the effect of the powerplate itself is negligable compared to exercising without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

dubcookie wrote: »
    nothing else seems to get rid of the baby belly!! thanks :-)

i wouldn't focus on whole body vibration as the solution to weight loss though... for that i'd focus on food selection and portion sizes first... i found Spinning (properly instructed and as part of a training programme) worked great for trimming down too...

i've used whole a body vibration machine for post workout recovery and working on flexibility and found it beneficial... some people find it to be a beneficial element as a strength / flexibility / recovery resource in a wider training program; but it should not be the only element... there are contraindicators (i.e not suitable for some people for medical / health reasons) for its use so you should check that it is ok for you to use... it should have been covered in a health screen / checklist... it's also an piece of equipment i think you should have an instructor guiding and working with you rather than doing it on your own... it can be very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous if not used correctly

i didn't use a PowerPlate rather an i.Tonic... you can get info on the i.Tonic here Freemotion: Vibration Article [PDF Doc]

this artice is also a good read for anyone who is looking for some well presented information on Whole Body Vibration (WBV) Training:
    Good Vibrations - (Chartered Society of Physiotherapy UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

dubcookie wrote: »
    Hi there, anyone ever used a vibro/powerplate? I just hired one from toneathome.ie and am going to start using tonight. I'm wondering if anyone has had success wtih them and if so, any tips for trying to get my waist back (I had a baby a few months ago!) i'm bridesmaid in 3 months and just feel mortified in the dress, so i'm praying this will help me lose inches.

any inspirational tales or tips would be appreciated!! thanks
    you would have better spent your money on going to boot camp classes 3 days a week, sorting out your diet (post that up asap in DETAIL). Failing that get a good trainer even for just one session

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I used the one in Westwood to mix my protein shake once.

It didn't really do that right either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubcookie

well i looked on youtube and seems to be some good training programs by personal trainers so i'll give that a go

I obviously realise that a boot camp would be better and i'm obviously doing the diet plus lots of walking with the buggy for cardio (i'm not totally clueless!) but with a new baby, working full time and generally not having much time to spare I cant get to any of the bootcamps in my area as they are all during the day when i'm working and the weekend ones would eat into the precious time i have with my son. i liked the idea of the plate as I can do it after he's gone to bed. Anyway thanks to those who did give 'inspirational' messages as requested...fingers crossed it works! :-)

Advertisement