Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running tyres at higher than normal pressure?

• 27-07-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Anyone running their tyres at higher than normal for economy or handling reasons? VW say my little Polo should be 30/30 front/rear for normal driving and 34/42 for load or speed. Slightly higher front pressure should help the lack of power steering it seems to me. At the moment I have about 34/34 and yes, I measure it at cold at home with my digital gauge. I don't want to wear out the centre of the thread all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

if you run them at higher pressure you also affect the tyres contact patch with the road. less grip. that is why they will wear in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭blackbox

sundodger5 wrote: »
    if you run them at higher pressure you also affect the tyres contact patch with the road. less grip. that is why they will wear in the middle.

Not true with radial tyres unless you use ridiculous pressure.

For competition or track days you run tyres at higher pressures to IMPROVE grip and reduce overheating due to flexing.

Manufacturers recommended pressures are usually the lowest pressures at which the tyres are safe in order to maximise comfort.

If manufacturer recommends 34/42 for load or speed, go for it unless the ride is too uncomfortable.

so if pressure high they wear in the middle, if pressure low they wear on the shoulders. if just right the tyre wears evenly.
    so which of the above is giving the best contact patch.
    hint...... If it does not touch the road it can not wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

More pressure will make the steering easier if you dont have the power steering. As for grip etc, you will work out whats best with a little experimentation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I do, at the expense of some comfort.

30/32 is from the factory, I run at 40. Tyres are rated for 51. As said radial tyres are reinforced so they don't change geometry once they're beyond a certain pressure.

Some police depts in the US run the tyres on police cars max pressure for the stated reasons (handling/economy).

[Best contact patch is at very low pressure, like 6 psi, but only useful for getting you out of snow etc]

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    I do, at the expense of some comfort.

30/32 is from the factory, I run at 40. Tyres are rated for 51. As said radial tyres are reinforced so they don't change geometry once they're beyond a certain pressure.

Some police depts in the US run the tyres on police cars max pressure for the stated reasons (handling/economy).

[Best contact patch is at very low pressure, like 6 psi, but only useful for getting you out of snow etc]
    If they do not change geometry why are you worried aboult them wearing in the middle?

Advertisement