Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce

Options
  • 27-07-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi there, would anybody be able to tell me how many hours a week the lectures take up during first year for commerce? what's the typical schedule like? tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cocoloca

During my first year of Commerce i had around 19 hours a week and i had around the same amount of hours for 2nd year and a little less for 3rd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hurluberlu

cocoloca wrote: »
    During my first year of Commerce i had around 19 hours a week and i had around the same amount of hours for 2nd year and a little less for 3rd year.

Thanks for answering. I'd be very interested to hear about your experience in this course, wether you were happy with it all in all and anything else that you think it would be useful to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SJay

Yea 19 hours a week in first year so its not too intense. Lectures tend to take place in blocks from 9am-12pm, 12-3, and 3-6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I loved my first year. It's all broken into modules which makes it a lot easier to handle, unlike another similar course that I did.

Hours wise I had about 17-18 hours a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cocoloca

hurluberlu wrote: »
    Thanks for answering. I'd be very interested to hear about your experience in this course, wether you were happy with it all in all and anything else that you think it would be useful to know.

Yea i was really happy with the course. Most of the lecutres were in small classes (40-50 people) and their was lots of group work. The only thing that i didnt like over the three years was the three hour lectures some of which really dragged out at times.

• Advertisement

Thanks everybody for giving me your opinion on the course, I really appreciate that. I was wondering how is the final grade worked out? Like, what's the percentage every year counts towards the final grade?
    Reading through what you've written it seems like you're all graduates - did you go on to do a MA course or did the BComm do for you? Did you find it hard to find work? Did you go to study abroad for a term?
    Any suggestion you'd give to somebody going into first year?
    Thanks for all the information...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

The BComm is spread over three years and the weighting is as follows:
    1st year does not count towards your final grade, 2nd year is worth 30% and third is worth 70%. If you decide to travel to another country on erasmus in semester 2 of second year then the weighting changes to 20/80 rather than 30/70.

Hope that helps.

FreeFallin wrote: »
    The BComm is spread over three years and the weighting is as follows:
    1st year does not count towards your final grade, 2nd year is worth 30% and third is worth 70%. If you decide to travel to another country on erasmus in semester 2 of second year then the weighting changes to 20/80 rather than 30/70.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for the information....did you attend Commerce in UCD yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Yep, im still in it. Going into second year now.. that's all ill say!

going into second year myself and I still havent figured out if the Bcomm is going to be enough for me or what Ill have to do after haha

• Advertisement

On a different note, does anybody know about Economics&Finance? I may get an offer for that and I'm not sure whether to accept it or not, in case. I see some of the subjects are the same, but then not having ever studied economics or any other subject similar to it I wouldn't have a clue of the differences they come with. My instict would be to go for Economics&Finance just because it seems a harder course (higher requirements and higher points) and I usually tend to pick harder things to challenge myself. But obviously if somebody had thoughts on this I'd be more than happy to listen to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

On a different note, does anybody know about Economics&Finance? I may get an offer for that and I'm not sure whether to accept it or not, in case. I see some of the subjects are the same, but then not having ever studied economics or any other subject similar to it I wouldn't have a clue of the differences they come with. My instict would be to go for Economics&Finance just because it seems a harder course (higher requirements and higher points) and I usually tend to pick harder things to challenge myself. But obviously if somebody had thoughts on this I'd be more than happy to listen to them!

I just finished 1st year Economics and Finance. I don't know if it's harder than Commerce but it certainly has more maths, a lot more. Only to E&F if you enjoy/have an aptitude for maths.

Also regarding economics, roughly half of the class had never done it before and they got on fine. Economics is only 2 of the twelve modules you will do in 1st year.

NU8 wrote: »
    I just finished 1st year Economics and Finance. I don't know if it's harder than Commerce but it certainly has more maths, a lot more. Only to E&F if you enjoy/have an aptitude for maths.

Also regarding economics, roughly half of the class had never done it before and they got on fine. Economics is only 2 of the twelve modules you will do in 1st year.

This makes it even harder to decide, I do enjoy certain parts of maths, functions and analysis in general, but having had a bumpy path I have big holes when it comes to basics....so I am afraid I'd be shooting myself on the foot by choosing a course with a lot of math...
    In other words, I enjoy math but I am afraid not to have a knowledge strong enough to support this massive intake.

Theres a maths support centre. theyre really helpful. got me through all the maths related modules in commerce.

Economics wise, it tends to be one of the subjects people either take to or dont. I never did it before and I got an A in my exams. Its basically just applying three or 4 concepts to everything, once you figure that out its pretty easy. (Plus the Economics exams in commerce 1st year are multiple choice questions!)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

This makes it even harder to decide, I do enjoy certain parts of maths, functions and analysis in general, but having had a bumpy path I have big holes when it comes to basics....so I am afraid I'd be shooting myself on the foot by choosing a course with a lot of math...
    In other words, I enjoy math but I am afraid not to have a knowledge strong enough to support this massive intake.

If you enjoy analysis and functions you'll fit right in. I also had a few gaps in some of my basic maths when I started but most lecturers don't assume you have previous knowledge of every topic especially since there were a number of non-leaving cert students in my class.
    Economics wise, it tends to be one of the subjects people either take to or dont. I never did it before and I got an A in my exams. Its basically just applying three or 4 concepts to everything, once you figure that out its pretty easy. (Plus the Economics exams in commerce 1st year are multiple choice questions!)

This sums up economics quite well and like Commerce all 1st year E&F economics exams are MCQs.

Advertisement