Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

red shank

• 27-07-2009 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

i reseeded a field in may ... i walked through it the other day and was shocked to see a lot of red shank .. got local advisor to look at it . he said to cut it and dump it ... now the land is very wet so will have to wait to cut it . i said could we top it he said no has to be taken off the field any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I had the same problem once. There was more grass than weeds so I cut it and made round bale silage of it. I had to move the bales fast as they were heavy and out of shape because there was so much water in the young grass. The other thing I was going to do with it was to strip graze it with cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

would it affect tha cattle - like is it palatable ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

whelan1 wrote: »
    would it affect tha cattle - like is it palatable ?
    Redshank was regarded as nutritious and has been fed to horses and cattle as green food. The leaves are rich in vitamin C. However, the plant contains oxalates and is potentially toxic in large amounts.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=18

Advertisement