Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to cut pvc coated steel cladding

Options
  • 27-07-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

in the process of building a steel shed with pvc coated steel cladding. just wondering what is the best way to cut the box profile sheet? i have seen lads on building sites cutting with an angle grinder, but is this the only way?
    advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    ps. great website here, just joined a few weeks ago. some very knowledgeable people on here, keep up the good work..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

manus30 wrote: »
    in the process of building a steel shed with pvc coated steel cladding. just wondering what is the best way to cut the box profile sheet? i have seen lads on building sites cutting with an angle grinder, but is this the only way?
    advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    ps. great website here, just joined a few weeks ago. some very knowledgeable people on here, keep up the good work..

I don't know of any other way, 4" or 9" grinder is the only way I've cut it or seen it being cut. Its generally corrugated so a sheers may not work.

You could rent a reciprocating saw or a jig saw, both with metal blades but its hard to control those while cutting, again because its generally corrugated. Don't forget your gloves and eye protection the edges can be razor sharp when cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

go with the grinder.

the reciprocating saw can be dodgy and ideally need 2 people holding it if using a loose sheet.

you can pick up really cheap grinders that will do the job perfectly.

and remeber Safety fist ( ;) Stratocaster)

although when you say plastic coated cladding is it litterally just laminated because if it is and is white the heat from the grinder may slightly discolour the plastic ( burn it)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use a 4 1/2" grinder with a stainless steel cutting disc, they are very thin.
    I used this on polyester coated corrugated and it worked well with no burning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

stainless steel cutting disks are also known as slitting disks if aldi is near by they sometimes have packs of them

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

great stuff, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

you shoud not use a grinder as it burn the zink and plastic coating thus reducing the life span of sheets. you should be able to hire or borrow a nibbler. if not i would recommed a skil saw with an old blade in it but be safe use goggles and gloves

hop2it wrote: »
    you shoud not use a grinder as it burn the zink and plastic coating thus reducing the life span of sheets. you should be able to hire or borrow a nibbler. if not i would recommed a skil saw with an old blade in it but be safe use goggles and gloves

Thats rubbish, I cut a load of this type of claddingand never burnt any of it, have you any experience using these tools on cladding? Because if you did you would definately not be recommending a nibbler slow and they make a horrible rough edge that would be just right to cut bread or fingers.
    And a skilsaw? thats about the most dangerous thing I have heard.
    You use a circular saw to cut wood and laminate, not sheet steel, you will end up with pieces of sheet steel flying everywhere.
    Anytime that you cut through the polyester and zinc coating whether it is from a grinder or a tinsnips you will invite corrosion.

using a skil saw is the most dangerous piece of advice i have ever heard before. even i know i could be seriously hurt doing that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

:eek:

there must be a misunderstanding

Check post #7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BowWow

in the process of building a steel shed with pvc coated steel cladding. just wondering what is the best way to cut the box profile sheet? i have seen lads on building sites cutting with an angle grinder, but is this the only way? advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Manus30,
    Where did you get the cladding? I need some to reroof a shed.
    Regards,
    BW

got it in heitons steel, cork rd., waterford. i priced around and they were cheapest and also do a good quality pvc coated cladding. you have to order though and it takes a week, the main advantage though is that you can order to your exact length requirements. ask for martin horohan at the sales desk. he is good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

you shoud not use a grinder as it burn the zink and plastic coating thus reducing the life span of sheets.

Use an angle grinder, it is the safest and easiest way to cut the cladding.
    you should be able to hire or borrow a nibbler. if not i would recommed a skil saw with an old blade in it but be safe use goggles and gloves

Do you even know what your talking about, i would use a nibbler cutting 2-4mm aluminium, not steel cladding..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BowWow

got it in heitons steel, cork rd., waterford. i priced around and they were cheapest and also do a good quality pvc coated cladding. you have to order though and it takes a week, the main advantage though is that you can order to your exact length requirements. ask for martin horohan at the sales desk. he is good to deal with.

Thanks Manus30, Waterford a bit far for me - will go through Heitons in Dublin.
    BW

Advertisement