Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat pooing outside box

• 27-07-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I'm having a problem with my cat Harry who poos outside the box 2-3 times a week. I'm think it's from stress. A quick history, he started doing this about 10 months ago. He would go into the litter tray which had a hood, do his business and my other cat Daisy, would be hiding and would pounce on him when he came out of the box. Can't really blame Daisy cos she learned that behaviour from Harry in the first place! I took the hoods off the litter trays and things improved and it wasn't as much fun for Daisy to lie in wait so she rarely did it. But it started up again after a couple of months and as I say he usually poos outside the box 2-3 times a week. I watched him yesterday. He obviously wanted to use the litter tray but Daisy was nearby and he was really uneasy - walking up to the litter trays, walking away, etc. After about 10 minutes he finally used the tray, I think probably cos I was sitting in the room. Daisy sometimes follows Harry around the house (this drives him mad and usually earns her a slap in the face!) but sometimes she will follow him to the litter tray and he will go in and she will sit there watching him!!!!
    I have two litter trays, both in the same room but last week I moved them so they weren't side by side but it hasn't really helped. I don't think getting a third litter tray will help because I think Daisy is the problem!! She has made it her life ambition to cuddle up to Harry but unfortunately Harry doesn't do friends!!
    I can't think of any solution! Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Give Harry a different litter tray in a different room, or buy a third tray and use three different locations. Not ideal I know, but it's a short-term solution for what will hopefully be a short-term problem.

When Harry poos outside his tray, where does he go? Immediately outside the tray, or in other areas of the house?

Also try a time out for a few days. Set Daisy up in a room on her own for a day or three, and give Harry time to re-establish himself as top cat with the run of the house. He'll scent mark everything (rubbing with his face, I mean) and feel like top cat again and might be better able to deal with Daisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Reminds me of a headline from an old Onion magazine I seen years ago

Independent minded cat "sh*ts outside the box"

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Give Harry a different litter tray in a different room, or buy a third tray and use three different locations. Not ideal I know, but it's a short-term solution for what will hopefully be a short-term problem.

When Harry poos outside his tray, where does he go? Immediately outside the tray, or in other areas of the house?

Also try a time out for a few days. Set Daisy up in a room on her own for a day or three, and give Harry time to re-establish himself as top cat with the run of the house. He'll scent mark everything (rubbing with his face, I mean) and feel like top cat again and might be better able to deal with Daisy.

Thanks Minesajackdaniels, I have put one tray in a different room. Will keep them separate for a few days. That really is the main problem I think - Harry thinks he should be top cat but Daisy couldn't care less about his status!! Harry has just found Daisy sleeping in his most favourite spot and he is not amused! If I'm playing with Harry or he's playing with a toy and Daisy comes along to join in, he stops playing immediately and leaves the room!!

Advertisement