Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Travel Survey

Options
  • 27-07-2009 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

What puts you off air travel most

€10 Government Tax

€5 each segment online check in charge (€10 per return journey)

€5 each segment payment charge (€10 per return journey)

What is the most annoying charge when flying? 50 votes

€10 Travel tax
    0% 0 votes
    €10 Return Online Check In
    24% 12 votes
    €10 Return Payment Charge
    32% 16 votes
    €10 1st bag €20 second bag charges
    18% 9 votes
    €30 Airport shopping bag charge if its an extra bag.
    26% 13 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Had to put €10 travel tax (although it doesn't really annoy me) as I don't fly with airlines that charge all that other crap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

what about an "I hate all of it in equal measure" option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

€30 Airport shopping bag charge if its an extra bag.
    Whats this one?

Only charges that really annoy me are ones I do not have a say in. I actually like the transparency of all these charges, I used to hate the fact I was "chipping in" for people bringing on luggage when I had none. Making people pay makes them think twice which speeds up the entire checkin process.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For me, it's the excessive credit card booking fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

€10 Return Payment Charge
    €10 Return Online Check In

What are these two? Is this a purely Ryanair thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

How about; none of them? Fees and charges are the price of a ticket, if the total cost is too much, then don't fly. I don't think anyone lets a small fee or charge put them off their holiday/flight.

What irritates me, is that the airlines are allowed to break the price down into all these fees in the first place. Just tell me the price of the ticket, not the price for a "ticket", plus the charge to book it (even though you've no choice but to book it), plus the airport fees, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

€10 travel tax, since it's the only one that's avoidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

MOH wrote: »
    €10 travel tax, since it's the only one that's unavoidable.
    The check in charge is unavoidable and unless you have visa electron, the payment charge is unavoidable too.

The idea of this poll is because Ryanair are using the goveremnet €10 tax as a reason why they are cutting jobs & routes out of dublin whereas at the same time they have added an unavoidable "check in" charge of the same amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

darc wrote: »
    The idea of this poll is because Ryanair are using the goveremnet €10 tax as a reason why they are cutting jobs & routes out of dublin

Which is a load of bollox. People aren't giving up flying places because of a 10 euro charge, they're doing it because of the total price of flying, and lack of spare money in general. If they scrapped this charge, and flights came down by 10 euro, it wouldn't make people fly places.

Ryanair are just making excuses, and like you point out, they have more hidden fees and charges than this that they apply themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I think that the online checkin charge is a disgrace. O'Leary had consistently stated that the extra charges can be avoided...so were valid extra charges....but how can you now avoid a checkin charge??? You have to checkin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Isn't it free when you check in online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Slice wrote: »
    Isn't it free when you check in online?
    Not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

darc wrote: »
    The check in charge is unavoidable and unless you have visa electron, the payment charge is unavoidable too.

Oops, apologies, I forgot about the check in charge. Vote still stands though.
    I have a Visa Electron.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's the hidden fees for me - when you start off, the flights cost €49 each way, but when you're ready to buy the cost has gone up to €250:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Heard O'Leary on Eamon Keane's show yesterday (newstalk) - he got very flumoxed when challenged about the compulsory online check in charge and claimed it didn't exist.

Has anyone being able to circumvent the check in charge excluding the no taxes no charges promotional flights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I thought the idea of online check-in was to keep costs down, so why the **** should we have to pay a tenner for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Some flights are free check in I found flights to liverpool the 1st week in Sept for €8 return including taxes and free online check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

The online check in fee for me. Got flights the other day with no fee which was great but unless It's an offer like that there's no avoiding it.

also this online check in is a bit of a lie if you're dropping off bags- you may as well be queueing to check in, it takes that long.

Advertisement