Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[wanted] DSLR cheap, basic model.

• 27-07-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Hi every1,

I'm a fourteen yr old looking to venture into the world of DSLR. I'm looking for a cheap, basic model, just to find my way around a DSLR. For Christmas I plan on getting a Canon 450d or a nikon d60 but want to play around with one 'til then. I'm in the limerick-clare area but would be willing to travel around the munster area to collect. Willing to pay but do not have big budget (u know what its like being a teenager:D). Will consider all offers.

Thanks,
    Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Keep a watch on adverts.ie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Will do!!! Thanks for reply!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd save the money and wait,Get a decent lens with the camera at christmas

But I used my cousin's nikon for a while (she's going into professional photography bt doesn't have any spare camera's... ) and now despise my 5mp point and shoot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Have you considered a bridge camera? Sounds perfect for what you described.

You'd be able to have full control over aperture, shutter speed, iso etc. and have a wide focal range to play with. I moved from Fuji bridge camera to a Nikon D60 about a month ago and very smooth transition as I'd been shooting manual before that. Haven't opened the manual yet! :p

• Advertisement

Have looked at bridge cameras and am interested. I have made offers on bridge cameras on gumtree.ie (before i found this site) but my budget isn't large nd always end up outbid... :(
    and I wasn't willing to go over €150.

You should have no problem getting a good bridge camera for €150 - have you tried adverts.ie?

Here's a new Fuji s1000fd going for €150 brand new and doesn't seem to be selling too hot. Should be able to take great shots with that and you'd have full manual control.

For that you'll get;
    • 12x optical zoom (33-396mm)
    • Aperture range: F2.8 - F5.0
    • 10MP
    • ISO Range: 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 (wouldn't use above 800 on the fuji bridge cameras though)
    • Shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes.
    You'll not get that much range of control over a cheap dslr with a kit lens. I'd definately recommend something like that to "bridge" the gap until you get your dlsr with lenses! This isn't my first fuji bridge camera rant and prob won't be my last! ;)

Note: I've nothing to do with the seller for this - just the first bridge camera I saw listed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Here's a nice camera on ebay... cost $5000 a few years ago when it was released.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nikon-D1-Digital-Professional-DSLR-Camera-Body_W0QQitemZ270433695610QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item3ef71ab77a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A2|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Not really recommending that camera, although it looks pretty great. If you've been using a dslr you'd probably find it hard to go back to bridge camera, just hard to get the dynamic range and image quality. But will probably need to pay a bit more than €150.

Considered buying this camera (s1000fd) before. It was available in argos for €163 but read a couple of poor reviews and that kinda put me off... Still, will consider it again. If anyone has a s1000fd, can they tell me their opinion of it???

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmmm, it seems a shame to spend 150 quid on a camera only to get a new one at xmas!

How about bargaining with the aul parents to get the camera sooner? Tell them you'll work for the camera if you do chores? Cleaning, cooking, helping with shopping etc? Maybe I'm being a little idealistic but if I had a kid I'd be happy to treat them if I thought they were prepared to work for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you could push the budget to around €250 you should be able to pick up a 350D and the non IS version of the 18-55mm kit lens (which goes for peanuts these days). Then instead of the 450D you could get a better lens or two (e.g. the 18-55 IS / the 50mm 1.8 or a consumer 75-300 zoom ) for Christmas... It would also give you some time to get used to the controls and learn the limitations of what you have before you upgrade...

eBay can be great but you need some patience - I've picked up lenses on it for under €50.

Sure, the 350D is three generations old now (replaced by the 400D, 450D and 500D) but it's still capable of taking great shots and would be an excellent starting point.

Was hoping to get a good, recent one for xmas so would rather not increase my current budget by much now to buy an out-dated, expensive one and not get one for xmas. If i could get a 350d for about €170 with basic lens kit i would take it. I could always sell it back or keep it as a back-up... It would be handy to keep in the boot of car for when I see something and don't have my other camera.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

gary82 wrote: »
    You should have no problem getting a good bridge camera for €150 - have you tried adverts.ie?

Here's a new Fuji s1000fd going for €150 brand new and doesn't seem to be selling too hot. Should be able to take great shots with that and you'd have full manual control.

For that you'll get;
    • 12x optical zoom (33-396mm)
    • Aperture range: F2.8 - F5.0
    • 10MP
    • ISO Range: 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 (wouldn't use above 800 on the fuji bridge cameras though)
    • Shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes.
    You'll not get that much range of control over a cheap dslr with a kit lens. I'd definately recommend something like that to "bridge" the gap until you get your dlsr with lenses! This isn't my first fuji bridge camera rant and prob won't be my last! ;)

Note: I've nothing to do with the seller for this - just the first bridge camera I saw listed!

When it's explained like that (only a tiny bit I understood without googling) I'm thinking of upgrading to a bridge myself.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I'm a fourteen yr old looking to venture into the world of DSLR....
    It would be handy to keep in the boot of car for when I see something and don't have my other camera.:D

Made me chuckle! :p

meant mom's car!!! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I too think that a Bridge Camera would be the best bet.

Even when you get your DSLR at Xmas then the Bridge will still be useful for when you want something smaller or as a Beer Camera.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Even when you get your DSLR at Xmas then the Bridge will still be useful for when you want something smaller or as a Beer Camera.

Beer Camera???

I like idea of bridge camera!! Anyone have a particular model they own and would recommend???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Beer Camera???

I guess;

Drink fuelled evening + DSLR = Bad News
    Drink fuelled evening + Bridge = Acceptable level of risk

= Beer Camera

Oh Right!!! Haha! :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Have you thought about a film camera just to practice on? I started on a fully manual cosina SLR that I got with a zoom and a bag I still use for 36 quid. It was absolutely invaluable for me as I HAD to learn to shoot manual, and when I got my first digital I really appreciated it. It also taught me to think about composition as when you've only got a roll or two on you you have to!

That way you could hold onto the extra and get yourself the Canon nifty 50 at christmas too. Best lens for the price ever! You can also still use the lenses from the film one if you get a Canon film SLR..

• Advertisement

Have thought of going 35mm. Family friend offered me one before and said I'd take it but haven't seen him since(that was like 3 mths ago). Also when I'm fiddling with buttons I'd like to see what results I get straight away so I remember what worked and what didn't. With film, exposure is expensive, film is hard to pick up, and if something doesn't work you don't know what settings you used because it was a week since you took it. With digital you get to see the result straight away and know whether the settings worked to produce a nice pic or not.

So would rather stay digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yep, but if budget is a short term issue then you can get boxes of free film and get it developed to CD for very little too (relatively speaking). And I use a notebook when I'm shooting film. Makes me think about the shot.

Just showing you an alternative..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The film option could be a good way to go:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Canon-EOS-3000-V-Still-Camera-Kit-Boxed-EF28-90mmLens_W0QQitemZ220455300335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET?hash=item335428ecef&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A2|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

There's a camera that you might be able to pick up with a lens for under €30

€140 would pay for a lot of processing and learning on a film camera with a notepad in hand to record your settings could be a good way to learn how not to shoot hundreds of useless pics like some of us who have learned on digital...

Might try get in contact with that friend of mine. He was/is (not sure if he's still doing it) professional photographer and did all my communion pics. He had a top of range nikon film with a nice nikkor lens(i think) and he said I could borrow it and if I liked it he'd give it to me for reasonable price. He said he didn't use it anymore cause he preferred the black and white capabilities of his DSLR (think its a d90). The way ye are talking, it sounds like a good place to start. How much does it cost to get pictures developed to cd, about? Also where do you get free boxes of film?

How much does it cost to get pictures developed to cd, about? Also where do you get free boxes of film?

You could have a read through here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

CabanSail wrote: »
    I too think that a Bridge Camera would be the best bet.

Sorry, totally off topic here.... But did you really recommend using a camera as back up for when he is p*ssed..... age 14 :pac:
    Classic win!

If so i reccomend using the 5mp camera as a beer camera :p and negotiate with parents on the SLR :)

gary82 wrote: »

Thanks for that link. Very helpful. Now I think I could build a better castle than _sparkie_. I want to try anyway... :D

Advertisement