Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 400D - AF repair, please HELP!!!

Options
  • 27-07-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've come seeking expert wisdom. I have a Canon 400D, I picked it up cheap recently as the auto focus wasn't working but it was "an easy fix"!

Basically the bloke told me that all it needed was a little clip on the mirror behind the lens.

Is this "an easy fix"?

Or has my lack of knowledge bought me a dud?

If it is fixable, can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin city centre that I can get the work done.

Thank you in adavance for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

Can anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It is fixable, but what he meant when he said "easy fix" was "I just want to sell this to you because I dont know how to fix it"

They're are a couple of repair centres around, but I dont know where exactly, there are a few threads about it ill try dig up.

i deffo wouldn't recommend doing it yourself

Tallon, thank you for the advice, I'm going to give some of them a call today, hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed.

I think I've learned my lesson being cheap! lol

As the old saying goes
    "You get what you pay for"

(feel like my dad now)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why didn't you find out how much the repair would cost before buying the camera?

How much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Buying that Camera was crazy to be honest.

I actually swapped it for an external hard drive, to the value of about €100. I know in hindsight I should have priced it before I agreed to take it. Was just a good package, came with two lenses tripod, extra battery and everything I needed to get started. Just always loved photography and knew I could never afford a good spec camera so this was my chance to finally get one.

Kinda starting to regret it now, may be more hassle than it's worth :(

you F**king serious?
    Thats awesome. what lenses are they? without the camera I think you still got a pretty good deal!

What lenses did it come with?

TBH €100 ain't terrible, if the repair comes in €150 or less then you got a good deal, just a lot of hassle!

• Advertisement

The full package I got was:

Canon 400D (6 months old)
    18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm EF
    bag
    Tripod

The guy I got it off just purchased a 5D so he wasn't using it and wasn't bothered getting it repaired.

Thats great, just send it to be fixed and you still have a top notch camera.
    Alternatively sell it to me :P lol

I think you'll be grand.

Thanks for the help and support guys, just getting a little frustrated with the whole thing at the moment! I was considering getting rid of it but I think I'll persivere and get it fixed.

Thanks again for everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You could also learn to use Manual Focus. ;)

Seems like a good deal for the lenses alone, even if the body cannot be repaired. If it can then it's a great package.

Ya that's what I've been doing, I love the camera but for casual photo taking I'd like to have the AF working. The manual focus is great but it takes getting used to. Any tips?

Best and most obvious tip: Practice, practice, practice

Shoot everything and anyone you can and you'll be surprised by the results

Advertisement