Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horse rug cleaned

Options
  • 27-07-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi, can anyone tell me whats the safest and best detergent to use to wash my horse rug

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

Depends what type of rug.
    Assuming it's ballistic nylon-type, you can send them in for a wash to any dry cleaners. Non bio soap is good, but to be honest, I've never had a problem with horses reacting to any kind of a wash.

If it's a waterproof rug, then the waterproofing may be weakened by washing with detergents. Horseware and Nikwax doe rug washes that won't destroy the waterproofing. You can also get a rug re-proofer if you need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

i power wash mine, don't use any detergent, we have the power washer for keeping the trailer and stables clean.

works great, some people wouldn't advise it as it takes away the waterproof coat that is on the rug but i haven't had a problem yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Fairy liquid and a good strong yard brush to scrub it always works for me - takes a long time to rinse it all out though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 satz

thanks a lot for help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 satz

i might just try the fairy liquid;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I use ordinary washing powder and steep them in a barrell for a day or so and then rinse out well.
    It's best to do them in sunny weather as they dry out better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is there places that do rug repairs? I have a stable rug where both of the buckles have broken off. I have replacement ones, just not the will to sew them on myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Is there places that do rug repairs? I have a stable rug where both of the buckles have broken off. I have replacement ones, just not the will to sew them on myself.

There's a place in Crookstown, County Kildare (in Crookstown Industrial Park) that does repairs. Not sure whether that suits you?

Advertisement