Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Ideas

Options
  • 27-07-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone! I'm trying and hoping to put together a political movement, called Breakthrough, because i am a bit tired from the political parties out there. In this movement I would like have a separate faction that specializes on European Union, because the EU is become more and more important in our lives. I have already set up a youth organization, EUnifying Europe, that deals with EU matters and to promote EU for the youth and would like it be the basis for the proposed faction. The agenda of the EUnifying Europe was to promote EU among the youth, to get the youth to go on exchange to other EU states as part of their education. This was all geared towards cultural understanding and more importantly reduction in xenophobia. However as you see all these issues are youth related. I would like to ask you for ideas that would interest the general public with regards to the EU. I know you people here take EU very seriously and I like that, so I would like to know are there any issues regarding the EU you would to be changed, reformed or enhanced?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ok firstly im an armchair politican by day i have to work alot :(

so fairplay to you

secondly we get alot of students coming to ireland from other EU countries every summer, but you barely hear of our students going to another EU non-english peaking country at the same time to learn a language or event just to see what other countries are like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Good idea.

Erasmus deals with 3rd level so I suppose you mean 2nd level? I remember in the 80's town twinning and the exchanges were all the rage, do they still exist?

I think exchanges only work with a couple of kids, the more there are the more inclined they are to stick to themselves.

It is still very common for German 2nd level kids to spend a year in high school in the USA, usually around their 15th-17th year. This might be od interest.

What I would prefer to see personally is foreign languages being taught in primary school and less emphasis on grammer, more on speaking and enjoying the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What is your movments belifes ?
    What issues are you going to deal with ?
    We need more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

ei.sdraob wrote: »

so fairplay to you

secondly we get alot of students coming to ireland from other EU countries every summer, but you barely hear of our students going to another EU non-english peaking country at the same time to learn a language or event just to see what other countries are like

it does happen though, its just as a country we are really small so it wouldn't be in the same numbers but I have gone to France for the last two summers and know a guy who spend like 3 months living in Rome on exchange.

some schools operate exchange programmes with other schools, might have mentioned this on here already but I know of a school which is in good relations with a school in nijmegen(holland) in 4th year students go to nijmegan and i think the students from netherlands come here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The Comenius Program includes school twinning - now, naturally enough, eTwinning.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

ei.sdraob wrote: »

so fairplay to you

i was thinking of more than just a summer, more like a year in secondary school. its true we get a lot of students coming here, but its very hard to pick up on any news involving students going to other eu countries. maybe its because we think that because we know english we dont need to know any other language.
    bijapos wrote: »
    Good idea.

Erasmus deals with 3rd level so I suppose you mean 2nd level? I remember in the 80's town twinning and the exchanges were all the rage, do they still exist?

I think exchanges only work with a couple of kids, the more there are the more inclined they are to stick to themselves.

It is still very common for German 2nd level kids to spend a year in high school in the USA, usually around their 15th-17th year. This might be od interest.

What I would prefer to see personally is foreign languages being taught in primary school and less emphasis on grammer, more on speaking and enjoying the language.

yes, i was talking about 2nd level, sorry if i didnt make that clear. i get what you mean, that if we sent a whole class to one school they'd start just talking among themselves and not really integrate...that could be a problem

i like the idea of foreign languages in primary school with emphasis on enjoying the language. thanks for the idea!
    it does happen though, its just as a country we are really small so it wouldn't be in the same numbers but I have gone to France for the last two summers and know a guy who spend like 3 months living in Rome on exchange.

some schools operate exchange programmes with other schools, might have mentioned this on here already but I know of a school which is in good relations with a school in nijmegen(holland) in 4th year students go to nijmegan and i think the students from netherlands come here

thats exactly what i would envisage. having the fourth year as some sort of an exchange year, i'm glad it happens to some degree already

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What is your movments belifes ?
    What issues are you going to deal with ?
    We need more information.

Well it's a right wing movement. The three pillars are technocracy(introducing the cabinet of experts), Negative Income Tax and school reform in the secondary and primary level. As i said i want a an independent faction to be formed on the issues of the eu that concern people.

the full list of the main ideas can be found on this link:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055614765

and for more info on the idea of technocracy please visit the site in my sig, it's my blog

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The Comenius Program includes school twinning - now, naturally enough, eTwinning.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

cool, thanks for the link, i didn't know such a program was made for the primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Mario007 wrote: »
    Well it's a right wing movement. The three pillars are technocracy(introducing the cabinet of experts), Negative Income Tax and school reform in the secondary and primary level. As i said i want a an independent faction to be formed on the issues of the eu that concern people.

the full list of the main ideas can be found on this link:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055614765

and for more info on the idea of technocracy please visit the site in my sig, it's my blog

Read your first post and it’s a very laudable idea and I wish you lots of luck with it. Just one thing I definitely wouldn’t call it a right wing movement because that has connotations of xenophobia and intolerance and you clearly are against that as you say in the FP its “geared towards cultural understanding and more importantly reduction in xenophobia”. Maybe call it a right of centre movement or something in that vein.

Martin 2 wrote: »
    Read your first post and it’s a very laudable idea and I wish you lots of luck with it. Just one thing I definitely wouldn’t call it a right wing movement because that has connotations of xenophobia and intolerance and you clearly are against that as you say in the FP its “geared towards cultural understanding and more importantly reduction in xenophobia”. Maybe call it a right of centre movement or something in that vein.

thanks a lot. by right wing i mean the economic policies rather than the extreme right nationalism and xenophobia. thanks for pointing that out i'll be sure to state it next time to avoid any confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Mario007 wrote: »

From reading your post, I really like your ideas.
    Congratulations you've got your first supportor. :)

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    From reading your post, I really like your ideas.
    Congratulations you've got your first supportor. :)

thanks i'm glad there are people out there who think along the same lines as i do:D if you like(and if you have facebook) you might want to join the facebook group which i've set up yesterday after reading up on many other groups that got popular and working thanks to facebook:D

here's the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=129430631662

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I don't think EU excluive parties have any viability. Which is a real, real shame :(.

> Vote FF for EU.
    < Do you support ALDE's policies?
    > What, you mean, like the supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A new life is born.. somehow I have to make this final Breakthrough...

NOW!

If I could only reach you ;_;

I don't think EU excluive parties have any viability. Which is a real, real shame :(.

> Vote FF for EU.
    < Do you support ALDE's policies?
    > What, you mean, like the supermarket?

thats because not many people are used to the idea that EU actually has much power, and also because the EU parliament's powers aren't exactly big.
    thats why i want a faction within the movement to specialize on eu...it would still be part of the overall movement but i think due to the big significance of eu it should stand out as well

Advertisement