Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair Colour

• 27-07-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi there,
    Does anybody know if it is possible to remove the colour from your hair totally to get back to your natural colour?
    I have a colour in my hair that I don't really like and would love to get back to my natural colour asap! :rolleyes:
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Yeah you can get it stripped, not usually advised though as it's very hard on your hair. One of my friend's got it done when she dyed her beautiful blonde hair blue black. She had really good, thick hair though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I got my hair stripped a few years ago, to get it back to its natural colour.
    Took a few hours and my hair felt dreadful after it, but it was the only way to get the black dye out!

If you're insistent about getting rid of your current colour, it really is the only way! Unless your hair is a light colour, then you might be able to dye over it and get a colour similar to your natural one.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 littlebows

Thanks for that! Can I ask did she get her hair stripped and then have to re-dye it a similiar colour to her natural colour or did she just have to strip it? Thanks! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

If the dye was semi-permanent, I heard that washing up liquid is good at taking it out.

I also heard that Head and Shoulders strips your hair colour, it might be worth a try!

Thanks for that! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

If you ahve lots of dyd in your hair Id recommend to get it stripped too, but warning : it wrecks your hair, be sure to get a really good treatment afterwards to rebuild it. Redkin products are fatastic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

Hey I would not advice getting your hair stripped!!!I had it done about 2 years ago and my hair did not recover until it grew out no matter what treatment or products I used on it. I recently lightened my hair to get back to my natural colour and I told the hairdresser I was not getting it stripped and she used a toner on my hair to get rid of the bulid-up of home colours!It smelled really strong and she only left it on for a few mins but it got rid of most of the dark brown colour that had built up on my hair! Also it helps if you try to wash out some of the colour your self before you go to a salon, the hairdresser advised me to use Head And Shoulders for about 2 weeks before I went back to get my colour toned down, it strips some of the colour out!What colour did you dye your hair and what colour is it naturally??? When you get it stripped they have to dye your hair a colour similar to your natural colour then, when mine was stripped it was literally like a rainbow before the put a colour in, bits were blonde, brown and foxy!!Was getting seriously weird looks in the salon!!!

Hi Rockchik,
    Thanks for that! :rolleyes:
    My hair is naturally a light brown and got it dyed a reddish colour.
    Must get the head and shoulders out! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I heard that about washing up liquid too. Your least damaging option if the washing up liquid doesn't work is to just dye it as close to your natural colour as possible OP and let it grow out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shallow^B

I colored my hair dark after new years and two weeks later I bought a new shampoo from LUSH that one of the sales girls recomended.
    After a few weeks I noticed that my color had faded drasticly and it has never done so before.. thought it might be the chlorine in the water that was the couse..
    A couple of months went by and i ran out of shampoo, by now there was NO trace what so ever of the darker color.

went back to Lush and one of the sales girls came up to me and we started talking shampoo and i told her i was thinking of getting the same shampoo again and she then asked If I had colored hair. Because the shampoo contains a large amount of olive oil which stripps the hair of the color! And that it had done. My hair is now back to it's original color. which it hasn't been in years, and it only took a couple months with Lush Rehab.

So if you don't want to destroy you hair by stripping it with chemicals I highly recomend LUSH Rehab Shampoo!! it might take a few weeks, and it might not work as well on your hair as it did mine but, i say it's worth i trye atleast :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

littlebows wrote: »
    Hi Rockchik,

Red is the hardest colour to get rid of!!Had red hair for a few months and took ages to cover it over!Is it a permanent red colour??if you work on trying to wash out as much colour as you can then go to your hairdresser and see what she can do, you will prob have to get a colour over it something like your natural colour and hopefully they can use a toner to try to get rid of some of the colour but if you only got the colour in once it shouldnt be too hard to fix it! Hope it goes well for you!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oinkyface

I dyed my white blonde hair dark dark (almost black) brown because it was so damaged, but I really started missing my blonde hair instantly!

My hair was far too weak for any kind of colour stripper, so I bought V05 Moisture Soak Hot Oil and Tresemme's Vitamin C Deep Cleansing shampoo.

I put on the hot oil for about 3 minutes, then before I rinse it out I massage some of the deep cleansing shampoo on top of it, then finally shampoo it out. Apparently the oil opens your hair pores and the shampoo can penetrate the hair more easily?

Then I always deep condition for 5 minutes after to stop it drying out!

It's worked amazingly so far, the dye has faded to a light golden brown, almost back to my natural dark blonde colour!

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DreadsinDublin

Johnsons baby shampoo is great for stripping colour out of hair I have found over the years also no to getting your hair 'stripped' in a salon Peter Marks ruined my hair years ago doing this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cherrycool

littlebows wrote: »
    Hi Rockchik,

Ohh red is notoriously difficult to get rid of. Got it done myself a few weeks ago, I was soo worried that I'd end up bald (particularly as my hairdresser had to strip it twice cos the red was so strong!) but I have to say, my hair held up pretty well! Its definitely drier than it was, but no where near as damaged as I thought it would be. Find yourself a reputable hairdresser and I wouldn't worry about it. :)

cherrycool wrote: »
    Ohh red is notoriously difficult to get rid of. Got it done myself a few weeks ago, I was soo worried that I'd end up bald (particularly as my hairdresser had to strip it twice cos the red was so strong!) but I have to say, my hair held up pretty well! Its definitely drier than it was, but no where near as damaged as I thought it would be. Find yourself a reputable hairdresser and I wouldn't worry about it. :)

red notorious? the only thing I found with red over the years is that it washes out really easily thats puzzling that you found it difficult to get rid of :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

red notorious? the only thing I found with red over the years is that it washes out really easily thats puzzling that you found it difficult to get rid of :confused:

Red fades out really fast but it never fades out completely, so your hair will always have a reddish tinge unless you get it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cherrycool

I would reply, but Magenta said it ;)
    Magenta wrote: »
    Red fades out really fast but it never fades out completely, so your hair will always have a reddish tinge unless you get it fixed.

The colour fades fast, but getting it removed never gets rid of all the red, there's always a slight tinge.

cherrycool wrote: »
    I would reply, but Magenta said it ;)

The colour fades fast, but getting it removed never gets rid of all the red, there's always a slight tinge.

sorry I know what you mean about the dull red you can be left with alright, I was just curious that the poster said it was hard to strip out after she had first dyed it? surely it would come out easy enough if its an initial strip? I dunno I would have assumed if your stripping a colour out its because you want another colour in which means the tinges wouldn't be a huge issue? I'm not a hairdresser though so open to being corrected

Advertisement