Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application question

Options
  • 27-07-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hello peoples,

I have a weird question here:

I was rejected by UCD for my master's programme application due to my past academic background. I know I messed up my second year, wont make up weird excuses but I'm not proud of it. I worked my a$$ off this final year to try bring up my mark. I went from averaging a bare pass to a solid mid 2.1

However due to my course having my second year count for 20% of my overall mark I finished with a 2.2 (ended with something like a 58%. Couldn't believe it, a measly 2% off).

Anyways, my question is whether there is any point in trying to contact them and forwarding my results. As I got rejected way before my results were even available.
    I had my heart set on going for this master's programme. And I know it's all on me, but really feeling so disappointed that I even nearly managed their requirements with such a low average last year.

Anyone ever had this, or maybe heard of a friend doing it? I would really like to contact them and see if they would review it, but do they actually bother taking into account improvement and progress? I replied to their email when I got rejected, and followed up on it a while after but they never really bothered replying. So now that I am back in Europe and the time difference won't be messing it up I'm considering calling. But I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone ever managed to get their application rechecked and managed to get accepted or even get some kind of feedback.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you had been rejected before you had your results, it is probably likely that the school in question went by your second year results only, which, as you say, were not good enough to secure a place on your chosen Masters course.

Maybe you could try having a chat with a lecturer, either from that school or another school, who you know would advise you well, and ask their advice about what to do, and your chances on being accepted for that course, or a similiar course next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Of course it depends on the Masters, the number of applicants etc, if the programme is oversubscribed then it wouldn't matter. But I'd get in contact and emphasise your final year results and explain that this is your real level of performance. Sometimes in midsummer people are away on holiday etc, but call and ask to speak to someone.

Advertisement