Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you dont go to the pub?your 3 reasons besides price

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I was talking about this with friends last night,so outside of the price whats your 3 reasons why you dont go and pubs are dying
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Smell of farts
    Lack of smoking
    Risk of glassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I still go, just not as much. Mates aren't out as much anymore.

Plus, politics are annoying. Friend A won't go to Pub 1 and will only go to Pub 2, and Friend B refuses to go to Pub 2 and will only go to Pub 1, etc.

Ireland is so melodramatic.

Couldnt be bloody arsed, few cans/bottles at home will do just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

liah wrote: »

No your friends are melodramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

because pubs are shite.

spliff and a few episodes of peep show/ games of rock band /jamming with real instruments FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

1. acoustic singers
    2. ****ty barstools
    3. can't watch a movie in a pub ( right now drinking a pint at home and watching one of my favourite films on dvd)

Pub landlords reading this, sell up, you're finished. The country has moved on. Sell your pub a buy a gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I still go to the pub so cant give any reasons i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I still go, just not as much. Mates aren't out as much anymore.

Plus, politics are annoying. Friend A won't go to Pub 1 and will only go to Pub 2, and Friend B refuses to go to Pub 2 and will only go to Pub 1, etc.

Hey, Canadia, who you calling melodramatic. :mad:

It is true though, I have the same with some friends, one guy only want's to go to the smelly An Bróg, because it's cheap, and other's don't want to go to other pubs because they are ignorant and have never been their but judge the clientelle on how they look.

However I still go to the Pub, just not as much as I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Been there,seen it,rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have to suffer their choice of music. And suffer the poor selection of beer too, if I am going to pay so much at least have the f**king decency to stock a few decent beers.

Going into town used to be an enjoyable journey, the round trip journey has turned into an ordeal.
    Risk of glassing
    +1 a few mates have been injured in recent years, or had close calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

1)My local pub is a bit of a dive.
    2)Most of my mates don't drink unless it's a birthday or night out in the city centre.
    3)I don't drink unless it's for similiar reasons as 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You only think that because Canadians are so pragmatic =p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Main reason for me is this whole 'Disco Bar' thing. Why does the music have to be at such a volume that you have to shout a conversation?

Oh dear god... I sound like a 70 year old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Schism wrote: »
    Main reason for me is this whole 'Disco Bar' thing. Why does the music have to be at such a volume that you have to shout a conversation?

Oh yeah, this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Too loud to talk
    Uncomfortable (or no) seats
    Dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

they arent open early enough, cant drink my flaggin of cider in them and cant pissing in the sink is frowned upon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Given the wide selection of pubs in Dublin, there is plenty for everyone. Price is the only reason i dont spend as much money in the pub as I used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I was talking about this with friends last night,so outside of the price whats your 3 reasons why you dont go and pubs are dying

Television, television and television.

"Irish" pubs are horrendous places nowadays with tvs blaring soccer left, right, behind and in front of you - day in and day out. Facilitating the simple pleasure of having a decent quiet pint and a good chat with friends eludes the overwhelming majority of pub owners and managers. It is beyond their consciousness. The tradition, character and ambience that made many pubs genuinely artistic and community places which attracted the big characters of life are gone. They have been replaced by TV-centric pubs almost everywhere. There has been a barely remarked upon revolution in the past 10-15 years in the character of these "Irish" pubs.

And then they think they are really f ucking smart when they turn the tv and/or radio up in the hope that we drink more as we fiddle for something to do while we struggle to hear and be heard over their noise pollution. Bankruptcy couldn't happen soon enough for these publicans who have imposed these standards for far too long on their premises.

Publicans are trying to be all things to all men, but failing that they have no hesitation in settling on being all things to soccer supporters. I'd take my custom elsewhere if I could find an 'elsewhere', namely a TV-free pub. Gogarty's pub in Dublin, and that seems to be about it; and its novelty doesn't make it exactly the quietest pub in the country.

In the meantime, I will just have to settle on Café Moda in Rathmines and await a future minister resurrecting McDowell's continental-style café-bar licenses to add some choice in the market (http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/05/08/story4677.asp). This time the publicans will not have the power to undermine it, and public choice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I still go to the pub but only those where I can have a decent conversation. Tend to avoid "Disco Bars" all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

There is nothing to do.

I like to mix my drinking with some form of activity, pool, playstation, cards, darts, etc..

• Advertisement

1. Pubs close too early; by the time you finish up work, get changed etc it's not really worth your while heading out and if you do you normally end up drinking at home in the end anyhow.
    2. My place is nicer than any bar.
    3. I have a better door policy.
    Bring in 24 hour drinking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The shítters are horrendous.

I can have a few cocktails at home and retire to a well appointed shítter and know I can unload in perfect peace, good arse paper,reading material and excellent hygiene.

Went to pup in the Blackrock area recently and went to the shítter to discover a shítestorm in the ONLY cube.Like a fcuking cell in Long Kesh in the 80s.360degree shítblitz. Coont must have gone berserk.

Stink of stale piss, fag ends and fcukin shiny arse paper you could line a baking tray with, if you are lucky,that is.

No, thank you very much.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

All the pubs play the same **** and none have jukeboxes. Ever pub in the states has a jukebox. Plus they don't cost 1euro a song. More like 20cents.

It is impossible to find a decent bar with a pool table. If you do find one it is either broken, 2euro a game or full of scumbags.

Is it that hard to have a pooltable and not have the constant threat of someone lamping you with a pool cue?

Not ebough variety in the layout of bars. If you have been to one you have been to them all. They are boring these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The shítters are horrendous.

I can have a few cocktails at home and retire to a well appointed shítter and know I can unload in perfect peace, good arse paper,reading material and excellent hygiene.

Went to pup in the Blackrock area recently and went to the shítter to discover a shítestorm in the ONLY cube.Like a fcuking cell in Long Kesh in the 80s.360degree shítblitz. Coont must have gone berserk.

Stink of stale piss, fag ends and fcukin shiny arse paper you could line a baking tray with, if you are lucky,that is.

No, thank you very much.:mad:
    another reason i dont go to pubs, PUB****TERS! too many people take dumps in pubs!!!!! **** sake, cant you go at home or at work or something. have a little consideration for the other pub goers (who there are many more of going in and out of the toliets, and more frequently due to the drink being drunk) I know you can if you want but ffs who goes to the pub and then goes takes a **** there (obviously some times its nessecary) [the cubicles are for drug takers not ****ting:p]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I always go to the pub! But not a certain one here in Waterford - 6.20 for a bottle of cider!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

1) They close too early, they should be allowed stay open as long as they like.
    2) Pub food is either good or crap, and my locals are all crap. It's not hard to cook up some good cheap pubgrub, and everywhere should do it (and as late as possible into the night)
    3) For watching sports, no pub has a great set up really, all bars the the US have great HDTVs wired up to the proper HD feeds all over the place, here you get some washed out projector or crappy old 4:3 CRT with a stretched picture most of the time, might as well stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

dlofnep wrote: »
    I always go to the pub! But not a certain one here in Waterford - 6.20 for a bottle of cider!

Excuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor. Arse hurt much from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

TheZohan wrote: »
    No your friends are melodramatic.

Friends, friends of friends, hearsay. Never encountered anything quite like this elsewhere.

Funnily enough the most melodramatic ones are big huge rugby-playing 30 year old men. Go figure.

Friends, friends of friends, hearsay. Never encountered anything quite like this elsewhere.

Funnily enough the most melodramatic ones are big huge rugby-playing 30 year old men. Go figure.

"And isn't it ironic...don't you think"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

1. No bitter/real ale. :mad:

2. Uncomfortable seats.

3. Lack of atmosphere.

Advertisement