Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you dont go to the pub?your 3 reasons besides price

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Having to listen to the all day drinkers spew their opinions on everything.

Quality of pint changes with the wind.

Been made to feel 'grateful' that the bouncers let you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Smell of farts
    Lack of smoking
    Whilst you might not be happy about that it's probably a good idea to have one or the other, but not both. Otherwise you could get this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

1. I don't drink
    2. Minerals are expensive for the amount you get.
    3. Drunks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Not Drinking
    The Smell
    Not Quiz Season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The music either awful C&W or just awful pop crap, sometimes it's even a mix of the two with a bit of techno C&W thrown in and it's not much better when I go to the big shmoke (Galway) from time to time. Some bars are very bad for it though, it' obvious the clientèle are there for a chat and they have a jukebox blaring or some god awful band. The bands I really don't understand, if they where any good the publican would have them on a weekday night as they could pull a crowd but their always so awful they could only play a Saturday night when people are out anyway. I really don't get the band thing.

I also hate crowds for the most part and pubs are now beginning to make me feel old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Kiera wrote: »
    On the flip side of that:

1. Its fun to get dressed up to go out.
    2. You have all week to chat to mates :)
    3. And there is in your sitting room?

1. Sure it is, but if the night's a let down, it's a total waste of good make-up :P

2. I work all week, as do my friends, and we all live in different places.

3. Well, on the tv, perhaps! But if you make the effort to go out and look nice, it's a bit disappointing when there's no one to impress.

In saying all that, I do love going out and I still do go to the pub! I just get tired of the same old routine, week in, week out, sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

1. Sure it is, but if the night's a let down, it's a total waste of good make-up
    Why would it be a let down tho?

2. I work all week, as do my friends, and we all live in different places.
    You do have phones/email? ;)

3. Well, on the tv, perhaps! But if you make the effort to go out and look nice, it's a bit disappointing when there's no one to impress.
    You’ll have more fun going out if you just enjoy the company you are in and not on the man-hunt. :P

In saying all that, I do love going out and I still do go to the pub! I just get tired of the same old routine, week in, week out, sometimes!

Spice it up, go somewhere new each week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

People
    Drunk people
    Scumbags
    Drunk scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Ahh, I miss my old local - the Sprit Store.. :(

great atmosphere, really relaxed, warm and comfortable seats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

1) chance of being jumped
    2) I don't drink that much, maybe 7 times a year if that
    3) I loathe the music most pubs play, and the one pub that plays the music I like, me and some of the clientel have personal issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I only have one reason for not going to the pub*. It burnt down recently.

That said I simply go to one slightly further away.

*the local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I will always go to the pub.Sure I might leave it a little later before going nowadays,and am a bit more wary of what Im spending but otherwise I love em.

Alot here are bitching about loud music,not being able to talk and drunks.
    Drunks in a place that sells alcohol.:eek:Stop the fcukin presses!!!

There are lots of cafes about that you can talk in,with no loud music and (usually) no drunks.Also,not every bar plays music that ruptures your ear drums.Some dont play any or play it at an acceptable volume.Depending on the size of the crowd I would have no hesitation asking for the volume to be lowered if it was too loud.EG,if its a Saturday afternoon and there are only 10people in the place,its unneccessery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

1) The music is too quiet.

2) I feel i'm not paying enough for the pint itself... sorry i know price related... but €5.50 for a guinness is just too darn cheap...

3) Too many Taxi drivers to choose from at the end of the night, god forbid I could be accused of favouritism while stumbling into the first or second or third one I see...

- Drav!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

1. Dont Drink

2. Pubs are not fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

Guinness is terrible lately , place is filled with scum snorting coke in the toilets , having to listen to nonsense from people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Kiera wrote: »
    Feb ;)

I am the master of observation!:p

Congrats,albeit a bit late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Door staff.
    Scumbags.
    Getting home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

the pub near me has much famous punters such as bono, ryan tubridy and dave mcwilliams :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

the pub near me has much famous punters such as bono, ryan tubridy and dave mcwilliams :)
    No wonder you dont go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

1) chance of being jumped
    2) I don't drink that much, maybe 7 times a year if that
    3) I loathe the music most pubs play, and the one pub that plays the music I like, me and some of the clientel have personal issues.

personal issues????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

1-Most of the pubs in this town that my friends go to I have worked in/still work in and I feel a bit uncomfortable being drunk if my boss is around.

2-Too busy.

3-Bumping into people that I really don't want to engage in conversation with.

But other than that I love going to the pub!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I don't go out a whole lot in Galway, when I go back to Athlone I only go to my cousin Mark's pub and the only reason I bother is because all the lads I grew up with drink there so on any given night I can stall in and chat to a few lads, have a few pints, game of pool/watch a match and chill out, oh, and he does friends rates sometomes during the week :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Expensive drinks
    Sour or rude staff
    fcucking football blaring on the telly
    Drunk people in shirts shouting
    Blokes in the jacks scabbing money
    Students.

Some pubs have all those things going for them..they should just close down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Besides prices (which for me is the main one)...

* Landlord (and greed stuck-up wife) is an arsehole.
    * Some of the customers are pretentious arseholes (including one famous footballer).
    * All they are willing to show on the TV's is horse racing. No other sport.
    * Landlord and wife suck up to the famous (when they appear) and then ignore the daily every day regular customers ALL the time, all day.
    * Landlord and wife treats the staff and customers like dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

I still go occaisionally but nowhere near as much as i used to so off the top off my head.
    1 happy enough to have a few spliffs at home
    2 fewer friends willing to go out.
    3 cheap beer in supermarkets compared to the pub.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Haven't been a regular in a pub in over a year.

Reasons:

1) Price - 24 bottles of premium beer in Supermarket - €19.99. In bar - 5 euro for a pint of flat, warm sh1te.
    2) I'd rather do other things. Read, watch a movie, gaming, poker, whatever.
    3) The "irish pub" is dead. Whather it's the smoking ban or the Celtic Tiger, it's not what it used to be.
    4) Vintners Federation of Ireland are c*nts. "12 month price freeze" oh really? nothing do with people not going to the pub anymore?

I love the pub and really cannot understand how people would want to sit at home and drink p**s from a can.

Why would I want to sit in the same room I sit every evening and watch tv which I do every evening whan I could be having the craic in the pub, more friends arrive in than would be at your house so more people to talk to, proper Guinness or Smithwicks from a tap and really just the general atmosphere of being in a pub. In general I like most music so I'm happy with what they play in pubs. Obviously the expense can be an issue but at least in Galway or Cork the main places I would be drinking I almost always pay less than 4euro for a pint(usually 3.70 to 3.90).

After a can or two back at a house I would be getting restless to hit for town I really am not a fan of home drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

jayteecork wrote: »
    Haven't been a regular in a pub in over a year.

Reasons:

1) Price - 24 bottles of premium beer in Supermarket - €19.99. In bar - 5 euro for a pint of flat, warm sh1te.
    2) I'd rather do other things. Read, watch a movie, gaming, poker, whatever.
    3) The "irish pub" is dead. Whather it's the smoking ban or the Celtic Tiger, it's not what it used to be.
    4) Vintners Federation of Ireland are c*nts. "12 month price freeze" oh really? nothing do with people not going to the pub anymore?
    In fairness the pints you get in the pub are usually top notch (at least around here) if their bad then the pub really deserves to fail. There's no comparison between a pub pint of Guinness and a can. Even pints of Bud in the pub aren't to bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

1) i don't drink
    2) i'm unsociable
    3) you do not talk about fight club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I love the pub and really cannot understand how people would want to sit at home and drink p**s from a can.

Why would I want to sit in the same room I sit every evening and watch tv which I do every evening whan I could be having the craic in the pub, more friends arrive in than would be at your house so more people to talk to, proper Guinness or Smithwicks from a tap and really just the general atmosphere of being in a pub. In general I like most music so I'm happy with what they play in pubs. Obviously the expense can be an issue but at least in Galway or Cork the main places I would be drinking I almost always pay less than 4euro for a pint(usually 3.70 to 3.90).

After a can or two back at a house I would be getting restless to hit for town I really am not a fan of home drinking.

Piss from a can? and you drink Smithwicks...........:pac:

Advertisement