Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you dont go to the pub?your 3 reasons besides price

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Ahh, I miss my old local - the Sprit Store.. :(

great atmosphere, really relaxed, warm and comfortable seats..

im from dundalk as well and i have to say the spirit store is brillaint its one of the best pubs i've been in, in ireland.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

bryanjf wrote: »
    Piss from a can? and you drink Smithwicks...........:pac:

Lol, Smithwick's is nectar of the Gods.

I wasn't being honest in my earlier post.
    The real reason i don't go to the pub is that you can't get Harp and Smithwick's on tap around here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the pub near me has much famous punters such as bono, ryan tubridy and dave mcwilliams :)
    Finnegans? my sister was there and Tubirdy arrived in wearing some stupidly "loud" shirt and talking out loud like a fool looking for attention, at least the others tend to be discrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

My three reason's I go to pubs rarely:
    Health; I'd be better off on the bike or out for a run or in the gym. Pub leads to drinking which in turn leads to late night which in turn leads to regretting it in the morning, especially on a work day.
    Loud; with my hearing, which isn't too great at 28, I find myself saying "what/pardon/say that again" a lot in louder pubs. Pubs for me lead to nite clubs and with the queueing for the cattle mart and crowds I find it difficult to hear people. side point on this as a trance/techno/house kinda guy they never tend to have the music I listen to.
    Price; I know you said not to mention it. But a night out of binge drinking for me costs buckets.
    More entertaining things to do; if price isn't acceptable, then this should. I find a night in of cards/PS3 or wii (buzz, rock band, IIS pro evo)/house party with my acceptable music/watching a match is better than going to the pub in every aspect.

Sniipe wrote: »
    My three reason's I go to pubs rarely:
    Health; I'd be better off on the bike or out for a run or in the gym. Pub leads to drinking which in turn leads to late night which in turn leads to regretting it in the morning, especially on a work day.
    Loud; with my hearing, which isn't too great at 28, I find myself saying "what/pardon/say that again" a lot in louder pubs. Pubs for me lead to nite clubs and with the queueing for the cattle mart and crowds I find it difficult to hear people. side point on this as a trance/techno/house kinda guy they never tend to have the music I listen to.
    Price; I know you said not to mention it. But a night out of binge drinking for me costs buckets.
    More entertaining things to do; if price isn't acceptable, then this should. I find a night in of cards/PS3 or wii (buzz, rock band, IIS pro evo)/house party with my acceptable music/watching a match is better than going to the pub in every aspect.

what/pardon/say that again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sniipe wrote: »
    I think I've made a balls of my hearing, at this stage I'm looking at their face trying to figure out the reaction they want. Never pick up anybodies name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Here's another reason (hope this link works, I'm blocked here at work so am posting blind).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Smoking ban
    Smoking ban
    Smoking ban

Here's another reason (hope this link works, I'm blocked here at work so am posting blind).

LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think I've made a balls of my hearing, at this stage I'm looking at their face trying to figure out the reaction they want. Never pick up anybodies name.
    Totally agree with this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Schism wrote: »
    Excuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor. Arse hurt much from that?
    I can beat that without leaving Co.Waterford, the hotel up the rad from me charges the same as that till 11pm, then a pint of unimpressive heiniken jumps to 7.50
    i still go to the pub but a few thngs i dont like

1 the same crowd of girls lookn at u as soon as u walk n the door to see what u are wearing and then the b!tchn starts :rolleyes:

4 the same crowd of girls sayin omg i love ur dress , your hair is lovely, ect ect , while a few mins ago thy were just b!tchn abt ya :confused:

Are they not 1 in the same
    jayteecork wrote: »
    Lol, Smithwick's is nectar of the Gods.

I wasn't being honest in my earlier post.
    The real reason i don't go to the pub is that you can't get Harp and Smithwick's on tap around here!

Harp is pisch from a tap, pint bottles are the way my friend, cheaper then the heino in my local too.

1. Price, sorry but it has to be siad
    2. Smell/heat no proper ventilation or air con
    3. Being ignored in favour of tourists in summer
    4. Closeing times
    5. No bar food 10 mounths of the year
    6. Paying twice the shop price for a smaller, warm soft drink.
    7. No attractive women of loose moral virtue
    8. T.V.and radio on at the same time. Sometimes with the volume up on both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I prefer to stay at home and watch tv/sports and it is more comfortable

I don't drink so don't find the pub scene interesting

Can't afford to

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

OH DEAR SWEET BABY JEEBUS!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

All very good points on why Pubs are bad. To counter it all I have just one thing to say.

Draught Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

im from dundalk as well and i have to say the spirit store is brillaint its one of the best pubs i've been in, in ireland.

Coolio! I've heard recently that they are going to refurbish it, i hope they dont ruin it!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Ah jaysus don't tell me these actually ran on the tele!!!???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lmao I heard some of the VFI ads on the radio but had no idea there was this much production put into them...what an utter f*cking joke...your beer profits at work.
    Those ads would keep me drinking at home on principle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Does any one else see a hole in this logic???
    Nope, If i can get a night's worth of drinking (4-6 drinks) in for 25 quid, I will.
    If they want 6.50 a pint, I'll buy probably no more than one, maybe two, otherwise I'll feel like my dignity's being extracted through my wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

i get kicked out for being underage :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

18 yr old wimmins who are pissed before they get there, get even worse as the night goes on and sing along to every song thats played. Back to your bedroom girls this is a grownup place.

Dj's who think they are gods gift to the human race. Get over yourself.

Overcrowding. 20 minutes to get a drink is bloody ridiculous.

Drunk ould wans singing Patsy Clines Crazy or any song at the end of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Poor people.

My country local has;

No TV in the bar - great conversations/craic.

Excellent beer and the barstaff know what I drink and how much - never have to call my pint.

Quality pool table with no scumbags.

I feel so blessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Poor people.

My country local has;

No TV in the bar - great conversations/craic.

Excellent beer and the barstaff know what I drink and how much - never have to call my pint.

Quality pool table with no scumbags.

I feel so blessed.

You are a lucky man.

I have a local near me in Dublin, no annoying little kids, no load music, tv's only on for rugby + soccer matches, friendly staff, lovely atmosphere, comfy seats, great outdoor section for the summer nights (and beside a river for added ambiance), never jammers but full enough for a lively feel to the place, great guinness, 10 min walk from my house so no need for taxi.

God it's just perfect. I think I'll go there now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

1 i drink too much
    2 bookies next door
    3 beer goggles:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Pints.......your only man

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

everyone is too cool too young and too skinny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I'm so so so embarrassed watching that and I'm in my bloody bedroom! :eek:

Anyone even know who the "artists" are on that VFI yoke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 carl_d

why would you be looking reasons to not go pub?!!?!?! dear jaysussssssss man, the craic is what you make it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

There hasn't been a great crowd in our local for a long time. It has a little small lounge with a fireplace and though it used to be packed, the last few times we went out it was just us and a handful of other people sitting around the fire drinking our pints. We were saying how it was the same as sitting at home with a few cans, only dearer (and smellier):rolleyes:

• Advertisement

twanda wrote: »
    a handful of other people sitting around the fire drinking our pints.

I probably wouldn't go to that local either if there were people drinking my pint!

Advertisement