Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratholing in card clubs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

ianmc38 wrote: »
    Isnt ratholing buying in short?

I always thought this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

mdwexford wrote: »
    I always thought this also.
    I googled it because I misunderstood the op and got slated, apparently it's when you win at the table, cash out, then return to table with a lesser amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Ratholing is buying in short, doubling up, leaving the table and buying in short again? No?

I remember the most frustrating case of taking chips off the table before. Was in a club and the table fish was running sick hot, he would win a pot, take some of the winnings from the pot and go put it on roulette, if he won he would pocket the winnings. He'd do this everytime he won a pot, sometimes taking exactly the amount he won from the pot and putting the amount he invested back in his stack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

What would be your views on lending/passing money outta your stack to another player at the table?(to keep the game running at full speed)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Whyno wrote: »
    What would be your views on lending/passing money outta your stack to another player at the table?(to keep the game running at full speed)

I think its a bit different, the money IS staying on the table. I'd always ask the whole table and make sure everyone is ok with it before hand though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

You don't have to buy in short to "rathole" or "go south".

It can mean anything from cashing in some of your chips and sitting back at the table with the lesser amount, to putting chips in your pocket on the quiet.

Usually there will be a rule to stop players leaving and rejoining a table within a certain timeframe with a smaller amount of chips then they got up with.

Re:Lending/passing money,this becomes a problem if it happens during a hand,DUCY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

stevire wrote: »
    I've seen it myself occasionally but never wanted to make a scene so just kept my mouth shut....

Here's your problem obviously. What do you think posting about it on a forum is going to achieve?

Speak up when it happens or forever hold your peace imo. I sure as hell wouldn't tolerate anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Its a problem at any stage, id always object to money being passed on the table.

Unless its between drunk droolers or something and i want them both to stay in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

presumably the alternative is he takes all his money off though? I rarely play cash but wouldn't have thought this was a problem until reading this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

NickyOD wrote: »
    Here's your problem obviously. What do you think posting about it on a forum is going to achieve?

Speak up when it happens or forever hold your peace imo. I sure as hell wouldn't tolerate anywhere.

I think it'll make more people aware of the behaviours that exist in card rooms. I think its the job of the card room manager to be on the lookout for these sort of activities, and the job of a dealer to make the card room manager aware.

I would never make a scene over it, and speak up at a table where I would accuse someone of cheating. I think the most a player can do is tell the card room manager, its his decision what to do after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

I think it'll make more people aware of the behaviours that exist in card rooms. I think its the job of the card room manager to be on the lookout for these sort of activities, and the job of a dealer to make the card room manager aware.

I would never make a scene over it, and speak up at a table where I would accuse someone of cheating. I think the most a player can do is tell the card room manager, its his decision what to do after that.

wtf if you clearly see a player going south, speak up about it. Don't moan afterwards when its no use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Is it ok to have half your chips on the table go bust then pull another 25 out of ur arse pocket in chips.

because iv done that and if its rude sorry. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Did you actually say anything to the cardroom manager? How do you expect him to keep an eye on every players chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

NickyOD wrote: »
    Did you actually say anything to the cardroom manager? How do you expect him to keep an eye on every players chips?

No I didn't, I knew the player in question and brought it up another day... He said it was standard and that everyone was doing it. I disagreed, told him it was bad form etc etc. He continued to protest how everyone does it and its the done thing.

Anything I said he just disagreed with, thats the reason I came on here. Not to complain or moan, but to get others views on this issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Is it ok to have half your chips on the table go bust then pull another 25 out of ur arse pocket in chips.

because iv done that and if its rude sorry. :confused:

People never have a problem when adding money to the table :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I went south last week. I was locked and it was someone elses stack though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Benglian

I spent a few weeks playing in Brisbane, Australia recently, and it is rampant there. This is because virtually every poker rule is decided by actual government regulations and of course the Govt. have got it wrong. So, the cardrooms are powerless to stop people doing this as it is 'legally' a players right...
    The first night I was there I saw a very lucky player bin black after black when they hit a couple of big pots, and actually raised the issue.
    It is 'frowned upon' but there's nothing anyone can do...
    I was actually in a $100 buy-in game where a player binned winnings down to the $100 buy-in EVERY time they won, even if it was just $10 or so. Admittedly this got the whole tables back up and everyone went out to bust her, but there was no actual written rule that she was contravening.
    This is what happens when regulatory bodies get involved with the fine points of games they know nothing about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gargle

example...well known character from the fitz borrows 150 from friend,cashes in and sits at table with 150..very first hand,straddle and he raises..fold to the straddler who reraises this well known character lifts his chips and moves all in,dealer counts and would you believe he has only 100,nobody kops it at first and he shows over AA:eek::eek::eek:

surely there should be a diff name on this action :confused::confused::confused:

pretty funny tho i thought at the time:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭BloodyDeath

was playin at a table down the country last week. a fella takes me for 105 and then says to his mate here i owe u a ton. no probs, tell ur man puts it in his pocket. dealer or non of the other players say outh i wasnt a reg i made a comment but to no avail.

but sure, such is such

Advertisement