Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay home or work?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm a single parent of an 18 month old. I am currently working part time and have just put daughter into a crèche just for two afternoons a week. I work in retail so my hours vary from week to week. I live at home so my brother and mam babysit while I work.
    Have the option of working full time but am not sure what to do? If I was to go full time I would put daughter into crèche full time.
    Do working parents want to work full time or have to for financial?
    Would stay at home parents like to work but cant afford crèches?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Its hard to generalise on this one, and there would be many reasons why people choose to do either.

Personally, I choose to stay at home with my 3 children. I would make money by working, after creche fees, but we don't need it, we can manage fine on whats coming in. Not saying the extra wouldn't be handy but we have chosen to do it this way. I guess we are lucky to be able to choose:)

Some people work for financial reasons, some work because they want to. Some people stay at home for financial reasons, some because they want to. Each to their own and you are the only one who knows whats best for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And sure you can try it one way, if it doesn't work there is always the other option, your decision does not have to be permanent, just see what works best for yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its a poverty paradox.

The people on the lower wages (which i will assume retail being lower) cant work fulltime without losing their benefits + the extra cost of childminding therefore being less well off than if they stayed at home and never left the house at all. Working part time you can keep your lone parents allowence and as it stands dont need a childminder.

Unless you were lucky to find a very high paying job, i would think its near impossible to go fulltime to make "financial" sence.

However if its a case you see prospects in this job and a future with better pay etc, short term pain may be worth the long term benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sar21

Well thats the problem, by workin part time im stuck in the same position, If i go full time there would be better prospects.
    Dont get me wrong I love staying at home with daughter but just feel stuck in a rut. Decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If your family is willing to babysit to offset the need for childminding/creche fees then working full time might be a good option. A better wage in a few years time might mean being able to afford a creche full time without it breaking the bank. Also, I firmly believe that some people need to work for their mental health and if possible should be working. Conversely many of us (male and female) would happily trade the workplace to mind the kids at home so it works both ways.

That said, asking family to take on 40 hours of childminding a week is a big ask and if they do do it, make sure you show your appreciation for what they are doing and the sacrifices they are making to help you.

Advertisement