Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Dubbing on Films

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Firstly for starting two threads in one day, but i just wanna ask something...

Do you think the EU should make the film producers to have all of the european language tracks on the Blu-ray films or at least have subtitles for each of the EU official languages(this latter options applies to DVDs as well)?
    The companies have the dubbing available anyway and the subtitles as well, sometimes its just the case that they dont bother putting it on. I think this is very important since we see a huge fluctuation of the EU citizens in the EU and it would help them to be able to e buy a film which they would understand even in another EU country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

They shouldn't *make* them do anything.

Getting 25-odd sets of voice actors is expensive. Subtitles would cost less, but still shouldn't be compulsary. If the studio's feel there is big enough demand for it, they'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

obl wrote: »

Getting 25-odd sets of voice actors is expensive. Subtitles would cost less, but still shouldn't be compulsary. If the studio's feel there is big enough demand for it, they'll do it.

Seconded!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Mario007 wrote: »
    Firstly for starting two threads in one day, but i just wanna ask something...

Do you think the EU should make the film producers to have all of the european language tracks on the Blu-ray films or at least have subtitles for each of the EU official languages(this latter options applies to DVDs as well)?
    The companies have the dubbing available anyway and the subtitles as well, sometimes its just the case that they dont bother putting it on. I think this is very important since we see a huge fluctuation of the EU citizens in the EU and it would help them to be able to e buy a film which they would understand even in another EU country.

Aside from the fact I don't really agree with the idea, do not forget that this would have a massive negative impact on lower budget and independent film makers.

Slightly off topic what is the current offical count of EU languages? Woul BlueRay have a high enough capacity in any case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Markets determin if the DVD will be sold in a particulsr country, if so it is always available in subtitles. Would rather watch subtitles than a dubbed film but this is personal.

This would only increase production costs though not considerably. But if they did most people would regard it as overly bureaucratic and a waste of resources. EU should concentrate on more important matters rather than this and sizes and shapes of fruit and veg. Its the kind of thing that gives them a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

obl wrote: »

yeah I agree that it would expensive. I suppose just subtitles then. All i'm advocating is that if you, say, move to Italy that there'd be english subtitles on the DVD/Blue ray so you could enjoy the movies over there too...
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Aside from the fact I don't really agree with the idea, do not forget that this would have a massive negative impact on lower budget and independent film makers.

Slightly off topic what is the current offical count of EU languages? Woul BlueRay have a high enough capacity in any case :D

yes true...i suppose eu can always give exemption on the lower budget film makers. BlueRay has around 50GB if it's the two sided one, so i'd say there would be enough space.
    bijapos wrote: »
    Markets determin if the DVD will be sold in a particulsr country, if so it is always available in subtitles. Would rather watch subtitles than a dubbed film but this is personal.

This would only increase production costs though not considerably. But if they did most people would regard it as overly bureaucratic and a waste of resources. EU should concentrate on more important matters rather than this and sizes and shapes of fruit and veg. Its the kind of thing that gives them a bad name.

well i think this is very practical because if an EU person moves from a state to state he would like to watch a movie and be able to understand it. if you put subs on it, it wouldnt cause great financial difficulties. its almost like the roaming legislation, in the regard that it helps the eu citizens to move from country to country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

A better analogy might be that all countries are required to make all communications available in all official EU languages. Or, all the countries should use all the languages of the EU. That is, I hope, obviously a bit ludicrous. Learn the other languages, if it's important.

It's the differences that make the EU so interesting. That and the cheeses.

Advertisement