Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to buy a car - know a good dealer?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

HI does anyone know a good car dealer in Galway. I want to buy a second hand car, don't know much about cars and so don't want to be ripped off.
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Jaysus, that's a hard one. Any particular make or model takes your fancy? Any particular year? Any particular budget? Any particular anything? You will be ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Do you know someone who knows a lot about cars that could come with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

I know am a sitting duck. I am looking for a four door, maybe 03, 04, 05, not too big, not too high on insurance. I would like the back seats to go down.

Have looked at Nissa Almera 03, NCT TIL 6, 11, salesman said, 4500 non- negotiable.
    Also looked at Peugot 307, 03 NCT 8,11 also 4,500 non-negotiable.

Walked away, told him would be comparing prices. New to area and don't have anyone that can come with me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Tom Hogans maybe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Figure out exactly what you want, try dealers and also private sale.

Whatever you do, get some one who knows alot about cars before buying, or you'll get shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The foreigners fleeing the country are a great source of cars now. They'll take whatever they can get. A friend of mine got a 2.5ltr 98 volvo 70 for €600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

ScumLord wrote: »
    The foreigners fleeing the country are a great source of cars now. They'll take whatever they can get. A friend of mine got a 2.5ltr 98 volvo 70 for €600.

How would the tax work out for that? Suppose he could sell it on for a bit more, if it was too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Having spent the last few weeks looking for(and eventually buying) a car, I can tell you there are plenty of good deals out there. I'd avoid the large dealers as they arn't droping their prices to a realistic level. Small second-hand car dealers are willing to negotiate to a much better degree than their larger rivals. Bring someone knoledgeable to look over the car and if possible check the background(finance, previous damage etc) of the car. No matter where you buy the car, find out about the dealer from friends, family etc to check their history because there are some dodgy ones out there. If you can't find any info, put the name up here. Someone might be able to help.This is a decent list of dealers in the county http://www.galwaymotoring.com/index.php?p=3. Finally,you will find good bargains from private owners(classifieds in the Advertiser is great), but doublecheck everything before buying.This lot http://www.motorcheck.ie/ will give you some peace of mind. Keep your eyes wide open and don't jump at the first "bargain" you see. Patience in this game is definately a virtue. Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Saw an ad on a wall for a 1997 1.1l opel corsa, 114k, NCT'd till october and with tax disc for €350 ono

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

kayos wrote: »

Ohhhh Hooooo! you said nice weather but its not nice weather at all its raining outside! Ohhhhh Hoooooooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

Having spent the last few weeks looking for(and eventually buying) a car, I can tell you there are plenty of good deals out there. I'd avoid the large dealers as they arn't droping their prices to a realistic level. Small second-hand car dealers are willing to negotiate to a much better degree than their larger rivals. Bring someone knoledgeable to look over the car and if possible check the background(finance, previous damage etc) of the car. No matter where you buy the car, find out about the dealer from friends, family etc to check their history because there are some dodgy ones out there. If you can't find any info, put the name up here. Someone might be able to help.This is a decent list of dealers in the county http://www.galwaymotoring.com/index.php?p=3. Finally,you will find good bargains from private owners(classifieds in the Advertiser is great), but doublecheck everything before buying.This lot http://www.motorcheck.ie/ will give you some peace of mind. Keep your eyes wide open and don't jump at the first "bargain" you see. Patience in this game is definately a virtue. Good luck
    Thanks a million Fergiesfolly, I am checking them out.
    Have visited Kieran Moran's Oranmore - any opinion on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Kieran Moran does a fair few imports but the last time I checked anthing with him, he was pretty expensive.
    Try and choose a car and then check on carzone.ie where you will get a complete range of prices for that particular make, model and year and that should be of some assistance as well. Tis a great learning curve, you'll find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I used help people buy and sell cars for an 'ahem' small fee. Its like playing cards - don't show your hand. Those 'non-negotiable' specs you have above suggest someone has seen your hand and is playing you.

The soundest advice I can give you is to figure what your budget is and find the lowest mileage car in the best condition which meets your requirements at that price. If you are always looking for the cheapest, then you will inadvertently end up with a high mileage or accident damaged car. Trust me on this one.

Of all the dealers in town, I struggle to recommend any of them however Kennys have a selection of mid-sized stuff at the moment and they seem to be well priced. Monaghans have some stuff and if you can get the right sales guy you will do a good deal.

Find someone you trust who knows what they are looking at to help you check out the car - don't be ashamed to admit that you are in shark infested waters.

Oh and I'd rather have the clap than either a Renault, Peugeot or Nissan but I'm a bit fussy....

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

as someone above said Kieron Moran is a bit expensive. Forgot to mention Carlist.ie Good site for private and dealers. I've found better deals in Dublin than down here, to be honest and that site has loads of small dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

kayos wrote: »

possible, i found there BMW stock lol
    http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/commercial-catalogue.php?lang=

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

Is Tom Hogans having a liquidation auction soon? Would be a good spot for a bargain but i don't know the date......anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

N1one wrote: »
    Is Tom Hogans having a liquidation auction soon? Would be a good spot for a bargain but i don't know the date......anyone?

check out the link i posted, if you look at the pics of the BMW finance sale there all tom hogan number plates, so theres ya sale right there at merlin auctions

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement