Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Audi A4

• 27-07-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting a 2008 A4 TDI and am wondering is there anything that I should look for when test driving them. Are they economical to run? Many thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are a few different versions of the 2.0 TDi in the new A4, 110bhp, 140bhp and 170bhp afaik.

I would imagine the 110bhp version would struggle in a car the size and weight of the A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Look to see if you like it and if you're happy with ride quality and handling (and equipment levels etc.).

MPG will be in the high-40s.

In terms of problems, the car will still be under warranty. If you have an early one (the early models of any model always have more problems per thousand cars) then any known problems will probably exist but, again, will be fixed under warranty or recall.

What else specific do you need to know?

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are a few different versions of the 2.0 TDi in the new A4, 110bhp, 140bhp and 170bhp afaik.

I would imagine the 110bhp version would struggle in a car the size and weight of the A4.

120, 143 & 170BHP.

Honestly, everyone who drove a 120BHP with me was visibly surprised at how well it suited the car.
    OP, drive the car before you make any decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Those chavvy LED headlights are a real turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

eamon234 wrote: »

Those "chavvy LED headlights" will nearly be on every car in a couple of years when daytime running lights are made compulsory on new cars sold in the EU. I quite like them tbh!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Caboose

was thinking of getting one of these as well. Best looking audi in years. Diesel is the way to go nowadays and I don't mind the led lights either.

Good luck with the test drive op. Audi's are a sweet drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The DRLs in the A4 are available in both standard Halogen and optional LED. I think the LED have a slightly different shape to the Halogen DRLs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

How is the ride quality compared to the Passat? I would be avoiding the sports suspension and alloys bigger than 17". Would you recommend the SE or Sport? Is there any disadvantage in buying one that originated in the UK? Would Audi Ireland still honor the warranty? Thanks again.

How is the ride quality compared to the Passat?

It's firmer than the Passat - Audi are aiming the A4 at the 3-Series market, so it's set up for a sportier ride.
    I would be avoiding the sports suspension and alloys bigger than 17". Would you recommend the SE or Sport?

Depends what you prefer. My preference is Sport, but there's advantages to both.
    Is there any disadvantage in buying one that originated in the UK?

UK cars will have higher spec, but you'll probably have to jump through more hoops to be sure that you're happy with it's history (presuming it's a private import).
    Would Audi Ireland still honor the warranty?

No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

those xmas tree lights....look gammy imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Caboose wrote: »
    Best looking audi in years.

I think the current A4 (B8) just doesn't gel together well, I like the front and parts of the rear, but as a whole I don't think its good looking. It sort of sags in the middle if that makes sense?

I saw an S-Line with 18" or 19" OEM wheels that actually filled the arches which looked pretty tasty, but most of them look pretty poor.

Maybe I'm just a little biased as I owned a B7 A4 up untill recently and was pretty disappointed with the B8 when I saw it.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tre4

eamon234 wrote: »

I have to say, they are definitely growing on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I feel sorry for the people who do not have the Sport model because of the lack of the LED.

I have the pack 4 sport model of the B7 model and I look at the entry level models without the body mouldings, sports front bumper 17" etc and think awwww :p

All the guys at work except for me and another have the B8. Only one has the entry level model diesel and he curses the day he ever asked for it. He has also crashed it 4 times, 3 times tearing the front bumper to pieces and once reversing into another reversing car. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tre4

I've got a 2000 A6 2.8 Quattro and because I have to change my headlights for moving to France I think I'll add the led ones

Advertisement