Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Blood and Sand [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Feel sorry for the guy alright.

He's not a great actor though,I'm pretty sure his role being recast wouldn't affect the show.The script and story carried the show,not the actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Terrible news about Andy. I was happy for him when I heard he'd gone into remission. This is a tough knock for him and his close ones. Fingers crossed he'll fight through it.

It's a tough one in terms of the show. Having watched and loved the first season and really grown to like his portrayal of the character I dunno that i'd take too easily to a recasting. I always find it jarring in a show when a peripheral character is recast but for the main character it's a real tricky one.

I don't know of any precedents where such a main character has been recast. A quick google only threw up Miss Ellie in Dallas Season 2.

Anyone know of other shows where such a recast has taken place and how it went down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

djkeogh wrote: »
    I don't know of any precedents where such a main character has been recast. A quick google only threw up Miss Ellie in Dallas Season 2.

Anyone know of other shows where such a recast has taken place and how it went down?
    Not a main character.. but what about Becky in Roseanne? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ yeah, and Rosanne took the piss as well did she?...commenting on how she chaged, then the original actress came back again?...Sarah Chalke. I can't recall a major character being replaced, minor ones yes. You also see pilots being recast....most recent example is Parenthood.

Maura Tierney was originally cast, she was in the pilot + promo pics, she got cancer and Lauren Graham was cast, but...since the original was not seen by many or on tv i don't think it counts.

If the prequel does well what i think is....shoot for another 13 episode prequel, that gives Andy a good year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ yeah, and Rosanne took the piss as well did she?...commenting on how she chaged, then the original actress came back again?...Sarah Chalke.
    Nah, Sarah Chalke was the second Becky. Lecy Gorenson was the first Becky. It more or less went like this:

Lecy (1st Becky) - seasons 1 - 4
    Sarah (2nd Becky) - seasons 5 - 7
    Lecy (1st Becky) - season 8

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

^ yeah, and Rosanne took the piss as well did she?...commenting on how she chaged, then the original actress came back again?...
    Yeah I recall Becky went to the shops for a small bit, knocked on the door, and Roseanne answered and thundered "Where the hell have you been!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/09/17/andy-whitfield-not-returning-spartacus-cancer/
    Spartacus: Blood and Sand star Andy Whitfield will not be returning to the second season of the Starz series, the network announced today via press release. The actor, who was in remission after being diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in March, has been advised to resume “aggressive treatment” for the disease. “It’s with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as Spartacus and all the wonderful people involved,” Whitfield said in the release. “It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you for the support so far.”
    The series had delayed production in the spring while Whitfield underwent treatment; the actor had been training for the second season after he was declared cancer-free in June. At this point, the network has not made any decisions regarding the series’ future. “Right now, we just want to extend our concern and support to Andy and his family,” Starz Media’s Managing Director Carmi Zlotnik said in the statement. “We will address our programming plans at some later date.” Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, a prequel to the series, will still air as scheduled in January 2011.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

so they decided to take the rockier road, recasting is hugh for any show, never mind when you recast the main caracter after the first (most epic) season,

id find it hard to see how they can refocus the show around another main caracter, its called spartacus,

it would have been another idea to push the prequel to 12 or 13 episodes, and just hold off a year for sparty to get better, i know its a helluva call to make, but surely they could have made it work, afterall about 80 if not 90% of the cast will appear in the prequel,

suppose we have to wait and see,

Starz is still considering "all options" for the future of "Spartacus" and expects to have an update in the coming weeks, Starz president and CEO Chris Albrecht said here Friday.

With star Andy Whitfield out of commission as he battles cancer, Albrecht told the annual investor and analyst meeting of parent Liberty Media here that "hopefully" a new season of "Spartacus" will come to Starz subscribers next year after a planned prequel to the show.

The Hollywood Reporter's Live Feed blog exclusively reported earlier this month that Starz has reached out to casting directors about potentially casting a new lead for the show.

But a new season of the show is not sure.

"If not, we'll have something else in the fourth quarter" of 2011, Albrecht said without providing additional details about alternative options.

"Spartacus" has been "a great story for Starz," but not the only big play in original programming, Albrecht said, citing such 2011 original programming as "Camelot" and "Torchwood."

Asked later by The Hollywood Reporter about the "Spartacus" options, Albrecht said casting folks will look at possible replacements - good actors who are young and look the part - for Whitfield and pointed to Australian actor Dustin Clare, who plays the lead in the prequel, as an example of how talent can come from unexpected places.

If a casting change doesn't pan out, Albrecht said Starz would look at using another project from its development pipeline in late 2011.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4d1f1410bfbda626c3a7dcddf12b47f8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

They are recasting it's official question is did Andy film any of his bookending scenes for Gods the Arena before the cancer returned or will they be using whoever they recast as Spartacus .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Recasting the role is BS. They should have delayed it or set the show around a character like Crixus. I've little interest in the show now.

Recasting the role is BS. They should have delayed it or set the show around a character like Crixus. I've little interest in the show now.

Crixus didn't lead the slave uprising against Rome Spartacus did so that's a non starter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well if they want to take some libertys then they could always have Spartacus die and Crixus take his name to lead the rebellion. Its not like anyone would really know what Spartacus looks like, outside of that small number of people who saw him fight in the arena and even most of those would probably know his armour rather than his face.

Crixus didn't lead the slave uprising against Rome Spartacus did so that's a non starter .

And why does this need to happen in series 2?

The interesting aspect of this is the three year contract, clearly suggesting perhaps 3/4 seasons.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/04/its-official-spartacus-moving-forward-with-recast/

Because between your suggestion and the prequel you would then loose all the narrative momentum built up by season one .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What would you have in Season 2 of the show called Spartacus? You can't just jump to the focus of a different character because it was Spartacus who is the focus, who led the rebellion against Batiatus and onwards. You can't tell the story without involving him.
    What you could have perhaps done was have Spartacus die and have Craixus assume the mantle, and name, Spartacus as a figurehead. Most people wouldn't know who he was (Batiatus' arena and games were still on a small scale compared to Rome).

^ further to above, is the name "Spartacus" a name given? and can be just passed around?
    I have no problem with the part being recast because Spartacus as a series is NOT just about one man, it's an ensamble piece, story driven....Spartacus is but ONE character i enjoyed on the show.

I want it to continue to see more of these great characters and stories, i don't want someone recast whom is a clone of Andy Whitfield, i prefer the new guy to make it his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No matter how they proceed with this, there will be a split in what people think was the right way to go. Delaying the 2nd series further would probably end the show. Re-casting is a though one, but at least the show can go on in the same way they intended it to.

Shifting the Spartacus name to another character is a good idea, but I just couldn't see any of the other characters pulling it off. Spartacus had the will to do what he did, and I don't think any of the other characters, even Crixus, would actually want to continue any further now that they are out of the Ludus.

It's either re-cast, or leave it at 1 season, IMO.

• Advertisement

Because between your suggestion and the prequel you would then loose all the narrative momentum built up by season one .

I would argue you lose the heart of the series by replacing the main character.
    ixoy wrote:
    What would you have in Season 2 of the show called Spartacus? You can't just jump to the focus of a different character because it was Spartacus who is the focus, who led the rebellion against Batiatus and onwards. You can't tell the story without involving him.
    What you could have perhaps done was have Spartacus die and have Craixus assume the mantle, and name, Spartacus as a figurehead. Most people wouldn't know who he was (Batiatus' arena and games were still on a small scale compared to Rome).

I wouldn't favour removing Spartacus from the story but I think they could do something where Spartacus has been taken captive and Crixus and others have to find him. Something along those lines. I actually like your idea about another figure taking on the mantle. I hadn't thought of that.

My view would be to try anything but a recasting. It will just spoil the show for me and I'm sure many others. To me it would be like Xena without Lucy Lawless in the role. Just too strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'd agree with a recast. I do feel empathy for Andy Whitfield, but his acting or presence in the show really wasn't the main reason that I kept watching.

The unbridled fighting and uncensored depiction of ancient Rome was. A recast wouldn't affect the show at all imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Is it good or bad Hodgkins?

Is it good or bad Hodgkins?

It's cancer....it's all bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm sorry for Andy and his family but I'm not against this being recast. Like others have said it's the other characters and the overall story that I'm interested in. A recasting can work but will take some getting used too. Having the new actor in the Prequel would certainly help with the tranistion.

I don't agree with another character in the show taking over the mantle as Spartacus was the man who inspired them to rise up in the Ludus and none of the other character had his leadership skills.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out and recasting may certainly kill the show but we'll have to wait and see what Starz decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Personally,

Above all else I'd taken any option against leaving it at 1 season (although it did have an open ending that the could)

I wouldn't be against the idea of a recast either although I do agree they would need to introduce him in the new series for sure.

Someone taking over from him would work in a realism sense but I'd be annoyed with end of the character.

It's a tough one to be sure.

you cant finnish it, the show creators stated that the break-out is only a few small chapters at the start of a sizable book,

its like what was said no-one else has spartacuses leadership qualities, i dont agree with the recast but i wanna see more of this show, it would be such a waste of talent to abandon the project at this stage,

this in my opinion is the best new show for the last 3 years, i dont watch any shows that are better than this to guage my interest, when its on it is my #1 show to watch,

with the people behind this show i would have faith that they will hire a very capable replacement, and with the rest of the cast also there i think ill be happy enough,

i found something that would make me not watch spartacus ever again, wentworth miller (aka michael scofield in prison break) taking over as spartacus,

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/14/wentworth-miller-eyeing-spartacus/

dear god i hope ssomeone comes to there senses

So much for an unknown getting the role......
    Reading the article...it's just SPECULATION, not confirmed....Steven S. Denknight will seek an unnown imo, someone he spots during casting that screams....yeah, he's Spartacus, like Andy.

But, it does no harm publicity wise to get people talking, i think they could attract a big name to the role given the success, Sam Worthington always springs to my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

There's a plot....? Wow only ever catch about 20 mins myself!

Advertisement