Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Blood and Sand [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree,

Given how popular it is I could easily seem them trying to (and possibly) get a big name in for it. Sam Worthington being almost a clone would be an ok choice although I wouldn't be a fan of his.

I think they are going to go with the recast and it's sad but after 5 or 6 episodes I'd say the majority of fans will barely remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

don ramo wrote: »
    i found something that would make me not watch spartacus ever again, wentworth miller (aka michael scofield in prison break) taking over as spartacus,

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/14/wentworth-miller-eyeing-spartacus/

dear god i hope ssomeone comes to there senses

I just cant see him in the role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I just cant see him in the role

He makes a point in that article about the guy from True Blood who played Cooter. Now,I could actually see him in the role. Wentworth miller? No thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I don't have a problem with a recast - look how many James Bonds there have been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

wentworth...mmmmmm......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wentworth Miller?!? No f*cking way.. he'd squint through every battle, glimpse of a tit and "See You Next Tuesday" uttered!

Ridiculous idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Posted in the other thread but...

I just can't see him in the role unless he has bulked up alot since PB.

...plus he is strongly associated with a character who died of cancer, so 1 more reason for him not to replace an actor who is getting treated for cancer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

C'mon lads!...have YOU got what it takes to be Spartacus?

--> http://www.spartacuscasting.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i assume they can air-brush out my gut, and use an audio sythesizer to alter my voice, other than that id be perfect:D

• Advertisement

I sent one.. but they said I'm "too" manly and stunning.

Go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

In his mid to late 30’s, tall and muscular, leader of men, smart, intense, passionate..{spoiler taken out if not seen all of series}.. MUST HAVE AUTHENTIC BRITISH ACCENT. SPARTACUS SERIES MAY CONTAIN SEXUAL SITUATIONS. TALENT MUST BE COMFORTABLE WITH BACKSIDE NUDITY. NO FULL FRONTAL.
    I can do a perfect british accent. wonder will they overlook the fact that i've got a bit of a big belly on me? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

^^^
    wrote:
    In his mid to late 30’s, tall and muscular, leader of men, smart, intense, passionate..{spoiler taken out if not seen all of series}.. MUST HAVE AUTHENTIC BRITISH ACCENT. SPARTACUS SERIES MAY CONTAIN SEXUAL SITUATIONS. TALENT MUST BE COMFORTABLE WITH BACKSIDE NUDITY. NO FULL FRONTAL.

Hmm, I think I know just who they're looking for...

karl-pilkington-834191681.jpg

'So this is the Colosseum? Yeah it's alright. I thought it would be bigger though. Eh Crixus, got any Monster Munch?'

"Authentic" British accent. That's to deter all the applicants who thought that a crap British accent might be ok.

I never considered the original guys accent to be an attempt at a British accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Wentworth Miller is a terrible actor. For the love of God keep him away from this. I have faith in you Steve DeKnight.

Nice review of the Blu-Ray incl. info on what episodes are extended/longer then what Starz showed: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spartacus-Blood-and-Sand-The-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/9552/#Review

Three actors are in the running to be the next Spartacus on Starz's Spartacus: Blood and Sand, it has been reported.

The drama tells the story of the historical figure of Spartacus, a Thracian gladiator that led a major slave uprising against the Roman Republic.

Last month, it was announced that the show would recast the role of Spartacus after actor Andy Whitfield had to leave to undergo treatment for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

Now, according to Deadline, the network has narrowed down the pool to three actors: Brit Aiden Turner (All My Children), Canadian Stephen Amell, (Closing the Ring) and Australian Liam McIntyre (The Pacific).

The next season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand is tentatively scheduled to start in September 2011. In the meantime, the Spartacus prequel, entitled Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, will debut in January 2011.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a286746/new-spartacus-lead-casting-down-to-three.html

Now, according to Deadline, the network has narrowed down the pool to three actors: Brit Aiden Turner (All My Children), Canadian Stephen Amell, (Closing the Ring) and Australian Liam McIntyre (The Pacific).
    For a second, I thought they meant Aidan Turner.. who is clearly Irish.

Aidan Turner looks the part but i'm not familiar with them as actors, to be fair they don't need to be worthy of an oscar to carry the show.

I'm impressed and surprised they didn't go in for a well known actor to try and boost the hype.

I'm glad of the recast in the end, I hope Andy Whitfield pulls through and even comes back into the show down the line but I'm glad they are keeping ut going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Aiden Turner looks too much like Peter Andre for my liking and Liam McIntyre just doesn't look like Spartacus, but Stephen Amell's IMDB profile pic does look that part to me. I'm going to go with him. Now, where did I put the Starz CEO's phone number...

• Advertisement

More turmoil it seems in the casting process:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/three-actors-vying-for-spartacus-lead/

EXCLUSIVE THURSDAY UPDATE: I hear that none of the three actors who screen tested for the Spartacus lead this week, Stephen Amell, Aiden Turner and Liam McIntyre, got the role. However, Starz is still holding onto McIntyre, the Australian, while the other two have been released. He may still get to be the next Spartacus, succeeding the ailing Andy Whitfield. But I hear Starz brass is considering all options for its hit series, including the possibility of ending it or bringing in someone else for the lead.

^ i fail to understand why instead of ending don't they just continue the prequel?....if the upcoming six parter is sucessful then shoot for another 13 ep. prequel, in that way it gives them more time to either recast or see if Andy recovers. People keep saying it can't continue or won't be the same without Andy, but i watched the show for MORE reasons then Andy, imo he was just one of many characters i enjoyed, Batiatus was fantastic, i'd welcome any way to keep seeing him as a character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd agree with you Richard theres a lot more to the show than just Spartacus and personally if I had to choose then I'd much prefer more Batiatus than Spartacus.

I doubt they would decide to end the show just because three actors didn't screen test well for it. I'd imagine the decision has been made to keep it going with another actor and that's that.

My money is still on a "big name" coming in but personally I'd just take someone who somewhat looks the part and can portray Spartacus the same way andy did.

Starz CEO confirms season 2 WILL go ahead: http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/tca-chris-albrecht-on-spartacus-more/

Spartacus: Blood and Sand will continue. Ending months of speculation, Starz president and CEO Chris Albrecht confirmed that the costume drama will proceed with Season 2. "We are officially going ahead with the long planned but unfortunately delayed second season of Spartacus," he said at the opening of Starz's TCA session. "We don’t have casting news but ... we’re very confident where we are in the casting process that we will find an actor who will step in the sandals of Spartacus although we will never be able to replace (cancer-stricken original star) Andy Whitfield." In November, Starz flew 3 actors to New Zealand, with one of them, Australian Liam McIntyre, still in the running for the lead as he is bulking up for the task.

Great news.

Not really bothered about the second season anymore tbh!

The first season was good fun.. but Andy Whitfield is irreplaceable, and the long delay and inevitable problems in picking a new lead is proving exactly that.

I'm betting when a lead is chosen - Starz will be demanding scripts be rushed to production, and there'll be a drop in quality.

I hope they prove me wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

basquille wrote: »
    Not really bothered about the second season anymore tbh!

The first season was good fun.. but Andy Whitfield is irreplaceable, and the long delay and inevitable problems in picking a new lead is proving exactly that.

I'm betting when a lead is chosen - Starz will be demanding scripts be rushed to production, and there'll be a drop in quality.

I hope they prove me wrong though!

My worry in the second season is that now that they have left the ludus and due to budgetery constraints we will have to put up with those hideous rolling cgi hills from the pilot episode as stand in for the Roman countryside in leiu of actual location shooting . Setting the entire season in the ludus also brought story focus to the series(ie.if you're gonna set the entire show in one place you better make the characters and plot sizzle, which they did )which makes me wonder how it will fair without it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a296921/liam-mcintyre-for-spartacus-lead.html

Liam McIntyre is reportedly close to landing the lead role in the second season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
    Former star Andy Whitfield was forced to depart the Starz drama in September to undergo treatment for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
    TVLine now reports that The Pacific star McIntyre is considered to be the frontrunner to replace Whitfield, having undergone physical training to prepare for the role of Spartacus.
    At the recent TCA press tour, Starz president Chris Albrecht told reporters: "We don't have casting news [yet] but are confident that we [will find an actor] who can ably step into Spartacus's sandals, although we will never be able to replace Andy Whitfield."
    McIntyre was first rumoured to be under consideration for the part in November, alongside All My Children star Aiden Turner and Heartland actor Stephen Amell.
    The next season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand is expected to air in late 2011. Prequel series Spartacus: Gods of the Arena will debut on Starz on January 21.

Not sure about this tbh, it depends on how DeKinght explains her survival?. It was pretty much implied in the finale she died...how could you survive such a wound?

As much as i love Lucretia and would like to see more of her, unless they come up with a plausible way for her survival this might venture into jump the shark:

The producer of Spartacus: Blood and Sand has revealed that he did not originally plan to include Lucy Lawless in the show's upcoming second season.

Steven S. DeKnight told reporters at the TCA press tour that he was determined to kill off her character Lucretia in the first season finale.

Discussing the character's prolonged life, he explained: "I said, 'Absolutely not. No. She has to die. There is no way she could survive'. Then I called up [co-producer Rob Tapert] the next morning and I said, 'I've got an idea that I really like for season two'."

The former Xena star will now reprise her role in the new run and also appears in prequel series Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.

"It's been a thrill," admitted DeKnight. "What we've planned for Lucretia in season two makes season one and the prequel pale in comparison."

The next season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand is expected to air in late 2011. Prequel series Spartacus: Gods of the Arena will debut on Starz on January 21.

• Advertisement

Well she's lost the baby, but I'm glad she survives. Absolutley love her character

As for this Liam McIntyre fella, he'll never replace Andy but he deserves a shot.

Advertisement