Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Blood and Sand [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

If you do watch episode 8/9 please spoiler tag because as stated i'm sure many (like myself) would prefer the HD 720p propers. This show screams "watch me in hi-def".

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Crap thats bad news alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Terrible news for the guy, hope he is ok. This show has the potential to open many doors for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Hopefully he'll be fine - he's young and they caught it early, so fingers crossed.
    doccy wrote: »
    Similary with Spartacus historical accuracy is difficult. For example it would be hard to explain a Thracians understanding of the tactics of the Roman war machine. Then again I better not waffle and give away storylines- Spartacus is back for a second series :D

I'm wondering about this too - Spartacus is eh, not always portrayed as being the brightest in the series. I better spoiler the rest, but it's not based on any of the upcoming episodes - might have spoilers depending on how much the show follows the historical Servile War, so don't read it unless you know a little bit about it - it could be spoilerific!
    Basically (memory refreshed by Wikipedia :D ), the three leaders of the slave rebellion were Spartacus, Crixus and a third guy called Oneomaus. From what we've seen of Crixus and Spartacus, they don't seem to be all that tactically astute, and there's no Oneomaus character.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Doctore may turn out to be Oneomaus, it seems possible he'd have the experience necessary to mould / train an army. I had thought that Pietros might have turned out to be Oneomaus some sort of tactical genius - that he'd been studying books on tactics and so on, but well, that idea reached the end of it's rope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Okay, I give in. How are ye actually watching this? TV or internet? I've tried to watch episodes over the net but when I found the first 2 episodes (I think it was on Starr) it said they were no longer showing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Okay, I give in. How are ye actually watching this? TV or internet? I've tried to watch episodes over the net but when I found the first 2 episodes (I think it was on Starr) it said they were no longer showing them.

PM.

By Jupiters cock I enjoy this show, it's so unintentionally funny and I'll admit it the fight scenes are cool. I wonder will it stick with the gladiator school all season or will it move beyond that? I cant wait to see them have a shot at a 300-style battle sequence :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

Okay, I give in. How are ye actually watching this? TV or internet? I've tried to watch episodes over the net but when I found the first 2 episodes (I think it was on Starr) it said they were no longer showing them. Okay, I give in. How are ye actually watching this? TV or internet? I've tried to watch episodes over the net but when I found the first 2 episodes (I think it was on Starr) it said they were no longer showing them. 10-03-2010 02:11

cousins from the new world send them by carrier pigeon ;)
    surely if one were to google for certain carrier pigeon sites they would be glad to send them to you also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I'm wondering about this too - Spartacus is eh, not always portrayed as being the brightest in the series.

Historically, it could be claimed that Spartacus was in fact a Roman officer fallen on bad times. Not unlike his blond haired friend in the tv show.

Btw that's terrible news about the actor who plays Spartacus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

An answer to that question would lead to torrents of abuse. Pah, No one can speak english on these boards anymore. Google torrents.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Welcome to the 21st century!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From the Television Forum Charter:
    • Don't ask where you can download/stream TV shows or give any links to them. Infact try to stay away from discussion of downloading altogether.
    Cop on lads!

I've been silent as i stored up a couple of eps. - watched ep. 6 + 7 back-to-back, epic!
    Huge shocker with Spartacus' wife...at first i thought she was kidnapped, but then........!

The muic and slow mo during the scene made for a very emotional scene, the one thing i like about the show is it dosen't feel like a tv show at all, it feels like you're watching a movie.

I'd go so far as to say this is "event television", it feels epic and big, the last two eps. have loads of very interesting stories and sub plots going on involving alot of characters.

The sex scene are...wow!, full on orgies....who was the girl wth the HUGE boobs in pool scene with Batiatus and his wife + three slave girls?, this show is wild!

I also liked the scene as they showed Spartacus planning his escape...what he was going to do etc. it's an extremely well written and acted show.

If John Hannah dosen't get an Emmy next year it'll be a crime....he's outstanding. Deepely complex character portraly by Hannah.

Ep. 8 tonight, i'll watch the 720p version and then i'll watch the DVD screener version of ep. 9....i can always watch the 720p next week :-)

Wow!...the IMDB board is absolutely buzzing with activity!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442449/board

60+ pages already...i see lots of horny guys have tried to hunt down that big boobed slave girl!, lol!

Ep. 8 - stellar!....loved Batiatus calling Lucricia a snake!, she tried to get Spartacus offed!
    She's one to watch that blondie one!, she's the type who'd stab you in your sleep.

The chopped off c*ck was very graphic, !!!!
    It just gets better and better with each ep.! - i tried to watch ep. 9 but the quality of the DVD screener is HORRID!!!!

Really bad, just not worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I am really enjoying this show. Spartacus beating the crap out of Crixus was brilliant,been waiting for that for a while.

That last scene was completely unnecessary,even for this show!!Ouch! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

tvnutz wrote: »
    I am really enjoying this show. Spartacus beating the crap out of Crixus was brilliant,been waiting for that for a while.

That last scene was completely unnecessary,even for this show!!Ouch! :eek:

Yeh im glad I didnt wait around for HD episodes to watch that scene!! The next episode is even grosser Im starting to think Eli Roth has a hand in this show! Wonder how long the German brothers will survive for.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

having just watched ep9 of this excellent series,does any of the readers on this boards site believe that this series will ever be screened on this side of the pond what with all the sex and violence,who would have the b;;;ls to show it ,only thing its a pity that 2nd series is now delayed,

^ dunno...but to me it seems like a BBC 2 show, it's too high class for Sky. This show will be amazing on Blu-Ray!....i also hope that there are extended versions of each ep., you know, additional footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

spatchco wrote: »
    having just watched ep9 of this excellent series,does any of the readers on this boards site believe that this series will ever be screened on this side of the pond what with all the sex and violence

I think it's possible to edit certain parts for international markets (like that scene in episode 8 this week - yikes! :eek:) but it still would be very graphic. Still, shows like True Blood are pretty graphic and get aired here - Spartacus would have to be toned down in certain places but could get to a level where it's almost like most HBO shows...

However, does Starz even sell their shows to international broadcasters? Do any of their other shows like Party Down or Crash get shown here? I don't think so and that may be the main reason why it never airs over here/in the UK.

^ international sales will certainly help Starz...why would they not sell it to other broadcasters?, i bet it'll be a big seller in DVD/Blu-Ray.

p.s. - if you edited it alot of the appeal would be lost...imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I wasn't saying it wouldn't make sense for them to try to sell it to international markets - it's just that I have never seen any of their shows air outside the US and I was wondering if they simply don't do so at all (not sure why they wouldn't but they are a very small cable channel in comparison to HBO/Showtime).

^ true...but Spartacus has garnered ALOT of press attention, thus i think this show will be Starz' breakout hit and with that other stations will want to pick it up.

In fact, i think Spartacus will win Emmy's next year.

Ratings for ep. 8 - steady, note someone mentioned it's being broadcast on Dutch tv now:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/15/spartacus-blood-and-sand-sheds-a-few-older-viewers-but-18-49-ratings-steady/45043

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

^ dunno...but to me it seems like a BBC 2 show, it's too high class for Sky. This show will be amazing on Blu-Ray!....i also hope that there are extended versions of each ep., you know, additional footage.

Spartacus is high class? Seriously dude wtf?!

^ because Sky is tabloid tv....every program is utter crap (home made), the imports are different. It's a trashy chav channel....along with it's owners.

The BBC is it's natural home, The Tudors/Rome etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

^ because Sky is tabloid tv....every program is utter crap (home made), the imports are different. It's a trashy chav channel....along with it's owners.

The BBC is it's natural home, The Tudors/Rome etc.

Haven't seen The Tudors so don't know how it compares but Rome is a different league than Spartacus in quality terms! Unless BBC has changed a hell of a lot since I last saw it Spartacus would not be a fit there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just watched Eps 7 and 8 and the show just continues to get better and better. There are some great side plots running now which is beginning to shape up for an excellent end to the season. really gruesome crucifixion scene at the end of 8 alright. Nasty stuff.

Advertisement