Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Blood and Sand [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I disagree when folks say "it's no Rome"...budget wise, maybe not. But it looks quality, they do a fine job with the production design and sets. The CGI while not super high quality is still good enough and not too noticable.

quality, in terms of acting?....i think Hannah is doing a fantastic job, the other actors are grand as well. Story wise?....the writing gets better with each ep.!

So yeah....i think it competes with Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I disagree when folks say "it's no Rome"...budget wise, maybe not. But it looks quality, they do a fine job with the production design and sets. The CGI while not super high quality is still good enough and not too noticable.

quality, in terms of acting?....i think Hannah is doing a fantastic job, the other actors are grand as well. Story wise?....the writing gets better with each ep.!

So yeah....i think it competes with Rome.

Problem with opinions I guess. I think you're delusional to be honest. Plot and character development have nothing on Rome imo. Two very, very different shows. Thankfully Spartacus has enough sex and violence to paper over the very many cracks that exist throughout.

Tristram wrote: »
    Problem with opinions I guess. I think you're delusional to be honest. Plot and character development have nothing on Rome imo. Two very, very different shows. Thankfully Spartacus has enough sex and violence to paper over the very many cracks that exist throughout.

Personal opinion indeed...but the difference is i did not get personal and make a derogatory comment about you, on a personal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

am enjoying the series but could someone explain how ,why epi 9 was shown with epi 8,just means i have to wait another week

^ as per a warning today from the mods....we can't discuss the ep. 8/9 thing.

• Advertisement

Personal opinion indeed...but the difference is i did not get personal and make a derogatory comment about you, on a personal level.

Apologies I guess if I caused offence. Probably should have said that I find it impossible to fathom where you are coming from. Anyways, onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

As I said before Rome and Spartacus are two separate beasts. Without Rome however there would be no Spartacus. Spartacus took the extremes of Rome and amplified them. Rome was far more character driven.
    I had known this show was coming long before I actually saw it and wasn't expecting much from it. To say I'm surprised is an understatement. The quality of the acting and writing in Ep.8 was top notch.
    The scene where Lucretia entertained the aristocratic women of Rome was superb. If anyone wanted to see the difference between Rome and Spartacus there it was. Rome consisted for a large part of scenes just like that.
    That said Spartacus rocks, bring on the Blu ray.

Quality/writing wise....i think it's improving with each ep. - roll on ep. 9 tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Episode 6 was a real turning point IMO - it just got so much better story-wise from that point on... I'm really looking forward to the season finale, as there is quite the sh*tstorm brewing for a lot of main characters...

The snake of a blonde, Ilithia?....she needs an axe taking to her, the backstabbing harlot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Having loved Rome, and all things like it - I was looking forward to watching this.

We actually turned the 1st episode off near the end because it was pathetic. Talk about going OTT on absolutely everything - the sex, the language and the gore, would all be fine with me and way more powerful if they used it more selectively. Instead it's one OTT moment into the next.

Dialogue was terrible, acting was ok, but the script was terrible and it just wasnt realistic. E.g They go to war in the snow with no tops on, sure :rolleyes:

Gets a generous 1/10 for me. If tits and nudity and excessive violence without any substance are your thing, then you'll enjoy this.

The pilot was not good, it gets MUCH better after ep. 2 - trust me, give it shot....you can't jump in though. Each ep. are in sequence story wise.

Watch the next two or three, then decide :-)

John_Mc wrote: »
    Having loved Rome, and all things like it - I was looking forward to watching this.

We actually turned the 1st episode off near the end because it was pathetic. Talk about going OTT on absolutely everything - the sex, the language and the gore, would all be fine with me and way more powerful if they used it more selectively. Instead it's one OTT moment into the next.

Dialogue was terrible, acting was ok, but the script was terrible and it just wasnt realistic. E.g They go to war in the snow with no tops on, sure :rolleyes:

Gets a generous 1/10 for me. If tits and nudity and excessive violence without any substance are your thing, then you'll enjoy this.

As other posters said it takes at least three episodes to realise there is more to this show than first meets the eye.
    A pilot is a pilot at the end of the day and in fairness an entire season shouldn't dismissed on the merits of one episode. If you liked Rome you should give it a chance because it does begin to turn in interesting directions.
    There was plenty of tits, cocks, nudity and violence in Rome too but to say that this show lacks substance is untrue.

Amazing ep!...holy crap, that was some twist with Illythia and Spartacus!!!....did NOT see it coming, then and double shocker and she bashed yer wans head in!

She's a f*cking snake!....glad she got shafted and is now Lucritia's b*tch!
    I reckon Asher's days are numbered as well, it just gets better and better this show!

The sex was cranked upto 100 in this ep. , can't wait for season 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

this show is just gettin better and better, sure there is loads of parts hanging out here and there, but does it really bother anyone, i watch a few shows that show a bit of this and that, and it just seems more realistic,

how lucretia is gonna survive to season 2 i dunno, shes a snake, altough i thought it was great how she thought llithyia a lesson was great, and for a second i thought sartacus was gonna snap her little neck, then she smashed yerones head to a plup, what i vicious lttle biatch,

btw
    lucy lawless nips are hugh
    :D

I reckon Batiatus is gonna have a huge fall from grace, he's right cocky and smarmy now....but someday soon he'll find himself at the end of a sword (literally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I think you mean episode 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭crybaby

Decided to give this show a chance after reading about it through this thread managed to get through 9 episodes in the last week.

First episode was pretty embarrassing but its turned from that into a guilty pleasure and now it is turning into a pretty well written show and very very entertaining. Actually it's a nice change from watching superb but quite slow drama constantly to have a show like this.

Have only seen the odd episode of Rome so can't really compare the two have always wanted to watch Rome but have been a bit put off by the general reviews of it which seem to all quite average.

Rome was far from average. Check it out!

• Advertisement

crybaby wrote: »

Have only seen the odd episode of Rome so can't really compare the two have always wanted to watch Rome but have been a bit put off by the general reviews of it which seem to all quite average.

Rome... average...
    That there's heresy round these parts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've actually grown to like this show, I'm even growing to like the OTT CGI bloodspray shenanigans. I just think allot of that stuff is just filler but I appreciate the comic book stuff it's just I think it's often abused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Holy crap! Poor Varro - toally unexpected.

I guess this (plus Batiatus', as yet unrevealed, deception) will serve as Spartacus' motivation for freedom / rebellion.

The show just keeps on getting better.

Be watching ep. 10 later on...can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Vokes wrote: »
    Holy crap! Poor Varro - toally unexpected.

I always expected his days were numbered but again, great drama how it all played out. The writing was on the wall half way through the episode when Ilithia noticed his friendship with Spartacus - and wow, there's nothing she won't do (or anyone :)) to get what she wants :eek:.

Only 3 episodes left for this season, I wonder if we'll see Batiatus at least get everything he has coming to him (I think there's a very strong chance Ilithia is going to make it to next season).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jeez, who would have thought after watching episode 1 that this would become one of my favourite things on tv in ages. Really good episode there again, with some nice twists. Plus, Ilithia in the nip? :D

Does anyone think it'll get Emmy nominations next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

J-blk wrote: »
    I always expected his days were numbered but again, great drama how it all played out. The writing was on the wall half way through the episode when Ilithia noticed his friendship with Spartacus - and wow, there's nothing she won't do (or anyone :)) to get what she wants :eek:.

Only 3 episodes left for this season, I wonder if we'll see Batiatus at least get everything he has coming to him (I think there's a very strong chance Ilithia is going to make it to next season).

Batiatus deserves it but he's way to good a character to kill off.

They should hold onto Illithia for a while longer, the blonde snake....kill her off in the season 2 finale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

They should hold onto Illithia for a while longer, the blonde snake....kill her off in the season 2 finale!

Her and her hubby are going to get it I think as not only does Spartacus want to **** them over I can see Batiatus and wife being pissed off with her constant ****ing around with their cash cow and plans.

Advertisement