Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Blood and Sand [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

WOW, that was a fairly spectacular finale to the season. Felt so bad when Duro died, although i saw it coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Fantastic just fantastic this has been the find of the season for me loved the whole ep and with Ilithia getting away just ads to the whole thing bring on next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Quote of the series in the last ep " Is this not enough? How many more must die?............. I would see but one" :D

Wow one word to sum upVENGENCE :D

I would gladly see this be the last ever episode , what a way to end it all !!!!!!, but with season 2 in the works can it live up to the 1st after all that ????? I hope so, I truly hope so !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

calex71 wrote: »
    Quote of the series in the last ep " Is this not enough? How many more must die?............. I would see but one" :D

Wow one word to sum upVENGENCE :D

I would gladly see this be the last ever episode , what a way to end it all !!!!!!, but with season 2 in the works can it live up to the 1st after all that ????? I hope so, I truly hope so !!!!!
    the bar is set fairly high, but there is so much more to the story, i see no reason they couldnt make 4 seasons out of this, and id say that is there intention,

i dunno why but this seems like one of those shows that just feel like about 50 episode seem just the right amount, it would make for a well told story,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Brilliant finale! Having the flashbacks made the suspense even better. Batiatus, Lucretia and the kid got what they deserved at the hands of those they hurt most. It would have been good to see Ashur get what's coming to him but it should be Crixus to deliver it. Hopefully next season they will catch up with him.

I hope season 2 will be as good and continue to improve as it goes on too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Dunno I have a feeling Ashur will last to the very end of the show, and I'm pretty sure Xena's still alive and kicking. You don't think she'll let that Allitia get away with closing those doors? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Btw. Wiki is saying that they may make a 6 episode prequel to Spartacus, giving time for the main actors recovery from cancer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭jaffa20

doccy wrote: »
    Btw. Wiki is saying that they may make a 6 episode prequel to Spartacus, giving time for the main actors recovery from cancer.

OMG, can't wait:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Cool.

Would love to see backstories for Doctore, Crixus, Ashur and Barka if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

robby^5 wrote: »
    Cool.

Would love to see backstories for Doctore, Crixus, Ashur and Barka if that's the case.

Would be great,lets hope it doesnt take too long to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, it's a great testament to the quality of the characters that they can do so much in a prequel with no appearance by the main lead even (and series namesake)! An episode or two each on how the main gladiators ended up in Batiatus' hands would be great...

Woot!

Pre-production is underway on a six-part prequel to Starz' hit original series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand."

Andy Whitfield, who played the title character in the series, will appear in the prequel briefly, but Lucy Lawless and John Hannah take center stage in this story of the rise of the House of Batiatus and its champions before Spartacus arrives as a captured Thracian slave. With the title still to be determined, the prequel will begin production this summer in New Zealand, and is slated to air on Starz in January 2011.

John Hannah returns as Batiatus, owner of the Ludus, along with his wife Lucretia, played by Lucy Lawless. Other returning actors include Peter Mensah (Doctore), Manu Bennett (Crixus), Antonio Te Maioha (Barca), Nick E. Tarabay (Ashur), Lesley-Ann Brandt (Naevia) – and others. New characters will also be added – most notably the gladiator who was champion of the House of Batiatus before Spartacus or even Crixus – who will help fill in the story about the people and politics in the House of Batiatus and ancient Capua as a whole.

Production on the second season of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" was postponed this spring to allow Andy Whitfield to be treated for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in New Zealand. His doctors indicate that the actor is responding well.

"The prequel story maintains the excitement and entertainment value of the first season of 'Spartacus,' giving audiences the engaging experience they've come to expect," said Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht. "We look forward to continuing the Spartacus story."

Produced by Rob Tapert, Sam Raimi, Joshua Donen and Steven S. DeKnight, "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" was the highest rated show for the 18-49 demographic among all cable networks for 12 of the 13 Fridays on which it aired based on coverage rating.* The production team remains intact for the six-part prequel.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Great news :D

Of course on the down side it means we dont get to see anything for another 8 months or so...

Excellent news!....more time for John Hannah to shine, hopefully they work on scripting Spartacus 2 as well, best show this season by far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Saw an ad on Bravo last week that they will be showing this series soon!

Just to make sure I'm not crazy and seeing things did anybody else hear about this?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've seen ads a few times watching Dave, I didn't notice the channel but they do show a lot of ads for Bravo I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Saw an ad on Bravo last week that they will be showing this series soon!

Just to make sure I'm not crazy and seeing things did anybody else hear about this?!

Saw an ad a while ago, it says they're showing it next Tuesday at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Just watched the finale, it was brilliant. The best thing I have seen in ages, Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, its going to be hard to wait to see series 2. Will have to watch it all again on Bravo Tuesday 25th :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

we are a very prudish bunch, arent we,

i think the nudiness makes the show work better, makes it seem more real, rather than the shows where women always seem to keep there underwear on during sex, im not saying i want full on nudity on every tv show i watch but they could try and be a bit more realistic on ths other shows,

you can imagin some people going OMG a nipple, they shouldnt be showing things like that, what if my 16 year old son saw that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Just watched all 13 of the episodes, very good got better as it went along. Very 300 - ish but still worth watching. And Lucy Lawless is still a fox.
    Hope the lead actor will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Andy Whitfield's got the all-clear :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a224353/spartacus-whitfield-im-raring-to-go.html

Finally got around to seeing the final episode the other night, all I can is WOW! Brutal or what!

It will be interesting to see how the second series will be written (notwithstanding the prequel episodes coming first):
    The ludus was a very confined area well suited to low budget CGI, however now that the slaves have escaped, everything will be a lot more fluid. This will necessitate a production budget increase. It would have been great to progress the gladiator storyline to Rome and the Colliseum, this is hardly likely to happen now. Killing off John Hannah may have been a mistake too, Batiatus was a great character. Of course, based on the Kirk Douglas version, it all has to end in tears eventually.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MayoForSam wrote: »
    The ludus was a very confined area well suited to low budget CGI, however now that the slaves have escaped, everything will be a lot more fluid. This will necessitate a production budget increase. It would have been great to progress the gladiator storyline to Rome and the Colliseum, this is hardly likely to happen now. Killing off John Hannah may have been a mistake too, Batiatus was a great character. Of course, based on the Kirk Douglas version, it all has to end in tears eventually.
    I'm pretty sure its (very loosly) based on the historical version, rather then the Kirk version :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Of course, based on the Kirk Douglas version, it all has to end in tears eventually.
    Kiith wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure its (very loosly) based on the historical version, rather then the Kirk version :p

Don't read if you haven't seen the Spartacus movie / don't know what happened to the gladiator rebellion :D :
    I doubt they'll go with the "I am Spartacus" ending, as that was an invention solely for the Kubrick movie, but historically, the body of Spartacus was never found / identified. So if they don't want to go with a tragic ending, Spartacus might escape. (And probably reappear just before the end credits to kill whoever the main bad guy is by the end before heading off into obscurity to work on a farm / in an orphanage / for Microsoft

Sparty hits comic-con: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/16/spartacus-blood-and-sand-returns-to-comic-con-with-andy-whitfield-john-hannah-viva-bianca-and-lucy-lawless/54372

“Spartacus: Blood and Sand – The Complete First Season” will be released on Blu-Ray™ and DVD on September 21st from Anchor Bay Entertainment.

I want this on Blu-Ray!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

“Spartacus: Blood and Sand – The Complete First Season” will be released on Blu-Ray™ and DVD on September 21st from Anchor Bay Entertainment.

I want this on Blu-Ray!!!!!!
    Thats the US and Canadian release date.
    According to Amazon.co.uk we in Ireland and UK (Region 2/B) have to wait until May 2011 :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spartacus-Blood-Sand-1-Blu-ray/dp/B003LLMX4G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276801637&sr=8-2

Also, because this was made for TV, the contents/episodes are 1080i, not 1080p.

• Advertisement

^ cheers for the info....my Blu-Ray isin't multi region!!...no!!!!!!!

Advertisement