Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coolant Leaks

• 27-07-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello everyone! Hope someone can help me about my car's Coolant Leaks problem.

I have a 03 Opel Vector 1.8, The coolant level drops every 4-5 weeks since timing belt was replaced in March at main dealer. I thought the problem is caused by water pump was not fitted properly, and went back to check it.
    However, i was told the head gasket need to be changed and will cost euro 1500.

To be honest, i donot know should i trust them or not and 1500 is really to heavy.

Any opinions? is it the right price? i know i have to fix it anyway, does anyone know a better garage which has more resonable price in Dublin?

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 zhangj5

And , car temperature is just under 90.

Maybe i have to pay 1500 to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Open the oil filler cap and look at the underside - does it have scummy substance stuck to it that looks like dodgy mayonnaise?

It might be an idea to have the cooling system pressure tested to determine if there is a leak. If the water pump was replaced at the same time as the timing belt then maybe there is a small weep from the pump/block seal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its odd that its only happening after the work as done. Maybe they ****ed up the water pump somehow and is now leaking. any drop at all before work was done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Definitely get a second opinion..... The chemical tests that check the coolant for traces of combustion gasses aren't very accurate at all....

If the coolant is dropping every 4 to 5 weeks i say you have a small leak somewhere....

It could even be as simple as the rad cap venting too early under pressure...

If you can get / make a coolant pressure tester, do a pressure test on the system, and see if you can spot a leak...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Open the radiator cap and break an egg into the water system. It should cure the problem.

mickdw wrote: »
    Its odd that its only happening after the work as done. Maybe they ****ed up the water pump somehow and is now leaking. any drop at all before work was done?

Thanks for all replys,
    Car was fine before changing Timing Belt kit, i had asked them is there a possibility that the water pump was't fitted properly, they said it is not because of the water pump that was done by them.
    To be honest, i donot know much about cars, and I am not going to pay 1500 to fix it.
    So i maybe need to find a good garage and get it checked again.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Open the oil filler cap and look at the underside - does it have scummy substance stuck to it that looks like dodgy mayonnaise?

It might be an idea to have the cooling system pressure tested to determine if there is a leak. If the water pump was replaced at the same time as the timing belt then maybe there is a small weep from the pump/block seal.

The oil cap is clean, and there is no white smokes from exhaust..

Open the radiator cap and break an egg into the water system. It should cure the problem.

this is a really cheap solution.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

i'd be looking for a small coolant leak for sure....

Just cause the water pump was done by them, doesn't mean its not leaking! No matter how good of a garage they are, the water pump they fitted could of been faulty (or developed a fault/leak)...

I'd get it checked by someone else ASAP.... a bearing failing in a water pump can easily lead to the timing belt breaking...

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your helps,
    just had a pressure test and spot the leaking which is near head gasket, fixed it as little as 60 euro.
    Hope problem can be solved, however i do not know should i trust dealer or not anymore if it is.

Advertisement