Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest calibre centerfire to get a licence for ????

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

whats the Easiest calibre centerfire to get a licence for ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

HORNET i would think as its not stated on the licence its centre fire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

davy_b wrote: »

The one you have the best reason to own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It wasnt me hit it on the head, you need a good reason to have a firearm or firearm of a particular caliber.

Ask the question why do I need a centerfire?
    what type of country am I shooting over?
    What am I goin to be shooting?

i.e match the caliber to what you shoot and the country you shoot over

Are you sure you need a center fire? A .17 or .22 rim fire is more useful to you if you shoot a lot of rabbits, vermin etc. Even the hornet which I have is really only any good at foxes and makes mush of rabbits.

A friend of mine recently traded his .223 for a magnum because he felt it over kill and too heavy. He walks the fields lamping and enjoys sitting and calling the foxes in to 100 yrds. He wont shoot at anything past that.

(here starts the rant):mad:
    Centerfires are becoming the must have accessory with some lads, two new gun club members (17 and 18) who recently got their shotgun licence asked me advice on getting .223's for lamping.

Never shot rifles?:eek:
    Never lamped with someone?:eek:

(Here ended the rant):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

(here starts the rant):mad:
    Centerfires are becoming the must have accessory with some lads, two new gun club members (17 and 18) who recently got their shotgun licence asked me advice on getting .223's for lamping.

Never shot rifles?:eek:
    Never lamped with someone?:eek:

(Here ended the rant):)

Not a rant. Its common sense. You will find it hard and epensive to learn to shoot on a centrefire. If the OP is a shooting noob he/she would be better served with a .22lr or 17hmr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

haha i know lads im not looking to get one just asking the question :),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Jonty wrote: »
    Not a rant. Its common sense. You will find it hard and epensive to learn to shoot on a centrefire. If the OP is a shooting noob he/she would be better served with a .22lr or 17hmr.

I honestly think that nobody should be allowed purchase a centrefire rifle as their first rifle.......probably annoy a lot of guys here with such a statement.....but a centre rifle has extremely powerful, long range abilities and shouldn't be handed out to a young lad with no experience of rifles, as his first rifle.

It's frightening to think that an 18 year old inexperienced shooter, with no lamping or rifle experience could be lurking around the fields at night, lamping, with no experienced shooter accompanying him with a .223, or similarly powerful calibre......it's a time bomb waiting to explode!

If one is making their first application for a rifle licence it should be limited to a .22LR. After a set period of time the person could then reapply to upgrade to a centrefire if a valid reason for owning such is offered.

A rifle takes a lot of practice to become reasonably accurate....means buying & firing plenty of ammo which can be prohibitive if using a centrefire to learn'the tricks of the trade'.....therefore you could have lads firing at live quarry who are inexperienced without sufficient practice.

Also practicing with a .22 will prepare anyone for (later) centre fire shooting...stalking, fieldcraft, breathing, hold over, safety, etc.

The capabilities of the .22 are about 70-90 metres to guarantee a clean, humane kill.....perfect distances for a learner to practice on.

Due to the capabilities of a centre fire young, inexperienced shooters may be tempted to try 150 - 180 metre shots, on live quarry, as the rifle is capable of it......but unfortunately the shooter may not be.

Due to the tradjectory of a .22 a chap who fires at a rabbit & misses will see the bullet drop & hit the ground some metres past the rabbit.....centrefires are more straight shooting & can continue on for some distance, especially if fired at the height of a deer's vital organs area.

.just my 'tuppence worth'....many will probably disagree....I'd be interested to here why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

J.R. wrote: »
    just my 'tuppence worth'....many will probably disagree....I'd be interested to here why!

I am one of those who will agree with you. Even though there is nothing to stop this practice of going straight into a centerfire, experience is paramount. I would always encourage shooting/hunting to a youngfella starting out.

I started off with an air rifle many moons ago, then a shotgun, .22 then a Hornet, .223 and now a .308 and everytime I upgraded in calibre I still had to adjust to the difference, but at least I still had the experience from the lower calibres. This helped me a lot. (For a period in the UK I also had handguns)

Now I just have my shotgun (semi auto) and my .308 (Remington 700 VTR) for deer. I will probably stay this way for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

+1 with J.R.

Started off with a .22lr, then traded for a .22wmr. I would love a .223 for fox and then a .25-06 for deer, but I know I'd be better off getting a few more years under the belt with rimfire's first. IMO one would get as much enjoyment out of a .17 or .22 for the first few years (not to mention very cheap to feed)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Well put J.R, totally agree.

Of course there is nothing stopping a complete novice licencing a swift without anyone in batting an eyelid.

Now thats a scary thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

+1 on all the above.

I think because centre-fire rifles are now being more widely licensed, people starting off are under the mistaken impression that getting a centre-fire first means that you've bypassed an unnecessary step to getting a 'real' rifle.

The reality is that for a lot of people, a .22lr is all they'll ever need; there really isn't anything more useful, versatile and cheap to run.

There's such a variety of ammunition from ratshot to high velcity 'stingers' and everything in between. It's equally useful on the range as it is in the fields and there are dozens of choices when it comes to buying one; whether new or second-hand.

It's very longevity is testament to how useful it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

J.R. wrote: »
    I honestly think that nobody should be allowed purchase a centrefire rifle as their first rifle.......probably annoy a lot of guys here with such a statement.....but a centre rifle has extremely powerful, long range abilities and shouldn't be handed out to a young lad with no experience of rifles, as his first rifle.

It's frightening to think that an 18 year old inexperienced shooter, with no lamping or rifle experience could be lurking around the fields at night, lamping, with no experienced shooter accompanying him with a .223, or similarly powerful calibre......it's a time bomb waiting to explode!

If one is making their first application for a rifle licence it should be limited to a .22LR. After a set period of time the person could then reapply to upgrade to a centrefire if a valid reason for owning such is offered.

A rifle takes a lot of practice to become reasonably accurate....means buying & firing plenty of ammo which can be prohibitive if using a centrefire to learn'the tricks of the trade'.....therefore you could have lads firing at live quarry who are inexperienced without sufficient practice.

Also practicing with a .22 will prepare anyone for (later) centre fire shooting...stalking, fieldcraft, breathing, hold over, safety, etc.

The capabilities of the .22 are about 70-90 metres to guarantee a clean, humane kill.....perfect distances for a learner to practice on.

Due to the capabilities of a centre fire young, inexperienced shooters may be tempted to try 150 - 180 metre shots, on live quarry, as the rifle is capable of it......but unfortunately the shooter may not be.

Due to the tradjectory of a .22 a chap who fires at a rabbit & misses will see the bullet drop & hit the ground some metres past the rabbit.....centrefires are more straight shooting & can continue on for some distance, especially if fired at the height of a deer's vital organs area.

.just my 'tuppence worth'....many will probably disagree....I'd be interested to here why!

I agree completly with you i have a .22lr and i love it i also think there should be some sort of 'basic handling of a firearm' course in this country as there is a lot of stupid but very dangerous people out there meaning no harm but not safe with their gun basically because they dont know anything about it

I agree completly with you i have a .22lr and i love it i also think there should be some sort of 'basic handling of a firearm' course in this country as there is a lot of stupid but very dangerous people out there meaning no harm but not safe with their gun basically because they dont know anything about it
    There are such courses run by clubs and associations. The problem is that if you're not a member, you're not exposed to this sort of training and therefore won't avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

There are still a few Gardai out there who think a .22 is a .22 is a .22, regardless of it being rimfire, Hornet, Swift, .22-250REM. Makes it very easy to get a license for those calibres when upgrading from .22LR.

I agree 100% with posters above that you shouldn't get a centrefire as your first rifle. I shot for years with a .22LR and only recently moved up to .22-250 and its like learning to shoot all over again:D I'd hate to have jumped in the deep end with the centrefire as a first rifle.

Unless you really need a centrefire, the .22LR is a wonderfully versatile piece of kit, I miss mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I agree as well. Had a BRNO 22 starting off and for many years. Great to learn on and very cheap to run. Then a 243, 6.5 and now 223. That .22 saved me a fortune in ammo costs !!

It does seem that some guys I talk to these days who are beginning think that a .22 is not a proper rifle, just something you have on the way to getting a 'real' one. Shame really !

Maybe now as the Celtic Tiger is dead, we will see a revivial !

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

12 bore.

Sandy22 wrote: »
    12 bore.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Just a quick question lads while on the subject of .22's and the likes, I was curious to know if there is much difference in accuracy between .22 and the .22magnum out to say 80-90 yds? I myself have a magnum and a .223, but i cant get the magnum to shoot any better than weak half inch groups....Is the .22lr more accurate? I guess the .17hmr would be the ideal man though. Thanks

Kay.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

kay 9 wrote: »
    Just a quick question lads while on the subject of .22's and the likes, I was curious to know if there is much difference in accuracy between .22 and the .22magnum out to say 80-90 yds? I myself have a magnum and a .223, but i cant get the magnum to shoot any better than weak half inch groups....Is the .22lr more accurate? I guess the .17hmr would be the ideal man though. Thanks

Kay.....

I went from the .22lr to .22wmr and my groups got a little better. Not sure if it was me or the gun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

[QUOTE=cavan
    A friend of mine recently traded his .223 for a magnum because he felt it over kill and too heavy. He walks the fields lamping and enjoys sitting and calling the foxes in to 100 yrds. He wont shoot at anything past that.

((Here ended the rant):)[/QUOTE]

just wondering how does he judge the 100 yards at night? is it the size of fox in the scope or what

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Firstly youve got the lamp that makes things a bit brighter so easier to judge distance.
    Secondly as you see the fox approaching you are able to judge the size of him as he gets bigger walking towards you.;)
    thirdly its only at the last minutes do you actually raise the rifle to take the shot

• Advertisement
Advertisement