Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 1 litre, which one to Get??

• 27-07-2009 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

My other half is looking to get a car, maybe year 2000, a 1 litre, or no more than 1.2 litre, as she is only learning. Am just wondering in terms of security what kind of car do people recommened, I know that if some scumbag wants to steal your car they will no matter what security you have, but there has been a few cars being broke into and even stolen in my estate recently, and all seem to be Micras, so I get impression they are easiest for the scum to rob, anybody any recommendations, cheers.

Comments

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    My other half is looking to get a car, maybe year 2000, an be a 1 litre, or no more than 1.2 litre, as she is only learning. Am just wondering in terms of security what kind of car do people recommened, I know that if some scumbag wants to steal your car they will no matter what security you have, but there has been a few cars being broke into and even stolen in my estate recently, and all seem to be Micras, so I get impression they are easiest for the scum to rob, anybody any recommendations, cheers.

Either a fiesta or a yaris. Reliable and cheap to maintain because they are so common! Very easy to get parts for if needed. DO NOT LET HER BUY AN OPEL CORSA! I had one when i started off and it broke my heart with the gearbox and clutch and brakes! And i've heard other stories off people who had the same problems. And if scum want to rob a car, they'll rob it! But most modern cars come standard with an immobiliser but it would be no harm to pick up a steering wheel lock. Best of luck to your other half with the driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

shaaane wrote: »
    Either a fiesta or a yaris. Reliable and cheap to maintain because they are so common! Very easy to get parts for if needed. DO NOT LET HER BUY AN OPEL CORSA! I had one when i started off and it broke my heart with the gearbox and clutch and brakes! And i've heard other stories off people who had the same problems. And if scum want to rob a car, they'll rob it! But most modern cars come standard with an immobiliser but it would be no harm to pick up a steering wheel lock. Best of luck to your other half with the driving!

I wasn't going to suggest a Corsa, but I'll defend mine, a B - pre-2000 ;)

Dirt cheap and they go and go. Mine's on 99,500 miles and is a 96 in everyday use since it was built, and was my Mam's before I had it...great little cars. Less than €2k spent on it I'd say since we got it 13 years ago. Power steering is the only addon you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Reason the Micras are being stolen is the Japanese import version is simple to steal, you will find all those stolen were imports. I'd avoid any car without an immobilizer as it's just not worth the hassle, all Irish/UK cars will have them fitted from about 98 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

By getting a newer model, you'd be increasing the security in a big way, but also the budget unfortunately

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Ibiza/1.2-Stel/200926194443314/advert?channel=CARS

A bit over budget but that model only went out of production last year. In terms of security, i think it would be way ahead of a late 90's micra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well most cars (except Japanese imports) sold in Europe since the mid 1990s have a factory fitted immobiliser so the car cannot be started without the proper key. However any car can be broken into with the intention of taking valuables from it rather than taking the car itself. The make and model doesn't really come into the equation.

You could get an alarm fitted but really the only way to prevent someone from breaking a side window or prizing the door open to gain entry is to lock the car in a garage or shed at night. If you don't have that luxury then the obviouse applies, leave nothing of value in the car and park the car where there is decent light. It just might make them choose another easier target.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Well she had eye on Corsa, so we will stay away from that!. Yeah I thought Yaris, as I did my test in Yaris couple years back and found it to be a good drive, but more from a security point of view is what I am more interested in, as seem to a lot of cars getting nicked lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Get a chain. loop it around the support of the seat and then lock it about the steering wheel it immobilise the car as recommended to me by several Gardaí. Scum see the chain before they break into the car and move on to a car with out one.

I'd get a Jap car for less hassle or maybe the fiesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I would recommend a Fiesta. We have a 97 1.2 . Great learner car. Has got 3 of us through the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

heya,

I learned to drive in a micra and I would recommend it. Either that or a yaris - they are v easy to drive and nice and small for parking too....

How bout investing in a steering wheel lock? May look a little extreme for a little car but its a deterrent... :) My friend learned to drive in a 99 corsa and loved it - few engine problems with it but nothing too major!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Zonda999 wrote: »
    By getting a newer model, you'd be increasing the security in a big way, but also the budget unfortunately

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Ibiza/1.2-Stel/200926194443314/advert?channel=CARS

A bit over budget but that model only went out of production last year. In terms of security, i think it would be way ahead of a late 90's micra

Ibiza has 4 star NCAP rating (only 3 star before 2002), and an immobiliser. same as a 99 Yaris.

• Advertisement
Advertisement